• Other ( please specify )

Votes: 4 26.7%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Gals and Guys

Now if I assume you are like me when it comes to cars, you would service your watches on the dot by which I mean, following the manufacturer's recommendations for service intervals. The only car I didn't service on the dot before was my first car. One of my newbie car-ownership idiosyncrasies was that I didn't get my car serviced until the idle speed of the engine was getting so low that it wouldn't always idle. Mind you, I had taken a screwdriver to it to tweak the idle speed. If nothing else, I didn't mind taking tools to car.... more so than I would a watch.

So do you service your watches on the dot or when there are signs that a watch doctor was needed. The watch could be losing time or behaving erratically, a sure indication that help was needed.

I'm going to put this into a poll as well if you don't mind. I like our new poll toy :biggrin: but let's keep talkin' too amigos :thumbup1:

Y'all be well now pals

ZIN

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've not reached the bridge yet amigo. The only two watches I've had serviced or tweaked were not service interval related.

Trouble is when it does go wrong, would it not be placing extra stress on the mechanism? :001_rolleyes:

Be seein' ya pal

ZIN

·
Registered
244 Posts
Haven't had a good watch long enough to know. What would be a service interval on my Speedy? 5 years? Longer?
Mike

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now Mike

If you had followed the hypothesis I put forward to members over the past couple of days about halving the strain and stress on the movement by wearing it only half the time...... Actually it was suggested to me that if one did stop the watch, the service interval may indeed be lengthened proportionately then you could indeed in theory of course, lengthen the service interval to ten years.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Be seein' ya pal

ZIN

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hey Zin,

I never seem to keep a watch long enough so it makes it very hard to say what I would do.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the same boat pal - the SS Rancho Shoe & Service-Free :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But the 3573.50 is definitely a keeper. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hope you and yours are well good buddy

Be seein' ya

ZIN

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I have never serviced any of my watches, but I just recently started buying automatics. Past watches were quartz and I must admit, I never felt the need for service other than batteries and ensuring water resistance.
I now have a Ball Diver and plan to service it every 3 to 5 years. I have a SMP 2351.80.00 in layaway and will also service it every 3 to five years.

Happy Holidays to all,
Diver

·
Registered
748 Posts
I service when something goes wrong.

I have had Quartz in the past and they got serviced when they 'asked' for it.

Mu Omega GMT has not needed service, but after seven years of 24-7 service, it is showing it's age a bit...

I want to get it to Bienne for the 'spa treatment' after the (money draining) holidays are behind us...

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:001_tongue:
well, I have to do o-ring seals about every year or so. then I suppose I will start thinking about service on my Omegas at about the 5 year mark or earlier if the accuracy changes.
my vehicles are serviced on regular intervals, I don't wait for a problem there. I don't usually have problems either...

:):)
diver88

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Over a years time I probably wear (at no particular interval) 8 of the few dozen I hve..

Therefore, I have to think a bit about how much use any one piece has seen. I figure that I'm pretty safe at the high side for maintenance intervals so I wouldn't say "on the dot", however, if anything was amiss, for sure..

So my vote went to "other' by default..

:cool1:

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
I picked other. Why? Because I was split between the options. For my quartzes, I will only service the watch if it needs a new battery. For the solars, if it breaks, I will replace it. For the automatics, I have not had an issue yet; but, I have not hit the 5 year recommended either. More than likely I will just watch the time, and as long as it is 'accurate'*, I will let it go.

*=By accurate, I mean if the watch is always +2 seconds a day, and then it is -7 a day, it goes in for service right away.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Oh, BTW, on my car, I get the oil changed every 3K. While I realize many vehicles can go much longer, especially on the synthetics, I still do it at 3K. Old school, I guess. Besides, it is certainly not harming the engine any changing the oil that much.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Changing oils at 3K seems rather excessive my friend unless your cars do 3K per annum which being in America, I hardly imagine. No harm changing at 3K but I'm sure that with the exception of the low annual mileage scenario, it will only impact on your wallet.....

Have a good week

ZIN

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Changing oils at 3K seems rather excessive my friend unless your cars do 3K per annum which being in America, I hardly imagine. No harm changing at 3K but I'm sure that with the exception of the low annual mileage scenario, it will only impact on your wallet.....

Have a good week

ZIN
That has been told to me many times. My friend, who owns a 5 series BMW, states that his manual informs customers to change every 15K miles. WOW. That is an amazing length of time to go without changing, especially with the city traffic; however, so far so good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I voted on the dot as I just finished having my Speedy serviced after 3 years from date of purchase. The center actually said it was too early but I just wanted to get it done...

Depends probably also on how you use it...just like a car, if its not used everyday I try to start the engine in the mornings and the evenings just to make sure the oil spreads around.

Glimmer

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well ... within reason, if it ain't broke... don't fix it!

I think unless time keeping was suffering, i wouldn't be having it serviced, certainly not at the AD anyway..what with their prices!

My Car.. well thats different... regular oil and filter changes.. works wonders and quite cheap to do!

Mike :wink:

·
Registered
244 Posts
and Zin....I forgot to tell you....Linnie is obsessive about the car being serviced. It never slides late.
Mike

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Pal

Then the fate of your watches will be in good hands :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheerio for now amigo

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I voted other as my one and only watch that I will get serviced isn't due for another 4 years. And if all goes well, when the SMP is back home in Bienne, I'll have something else Omega orientated on my wrist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts