WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know people's thoughts of buying a used automatic or mechanical watch from the board here. By nature, I am always suspecting the worst, but I have seen some great deals while lurking in the for sale area.

I have always been under the impression that watches are fragile, and you should know what you are buying before you buy. However, when you buy a used watch here, or anywhere online for that matter, you really don't know what you're getting into.

Anyhow, if you have any tips, suggestions you could share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Since joining watch forums about 5 years ago, I've only bought about a half dozen watches brand new - and two of them were inexpensive Seiko divers. The rest were pre-owned. To be fair, most were vintage but not all - my VC and the Blancpain I used to own were bought second hand and were excellent condition. Just do your homework on the seller and the watch. You can be a little more confident in the seller if they're a regular member of the forum (or any watch forum for that matter).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have over 25 watches. I bought only one of them new. Great watches will generally out last the wearer.

Buy the seller first then the watch. Regular posters on forums are usually people who love watches. I would have no worries at all buying a watch from a regular contributor to this forum or others.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thoughts on buying used watches

This is an interesting question. My experience is that I personally bought 95% of my watches used, and in fact I will continue doing so because I can find great deals and save a load of cash.

Buying a watch is not different then buying anything else used, a car, bike, etc. Personally I try to get newer watches, that have not been worn and that I know are usually reliable. I also try to get something that I can flip easily if I don't keep because it does not work for me. And also try to know the seller. This is obviously not always possible, but a high count of posts and active evidence of partecipation to watch forums usually indicate a WIS rather then a crim...

So, YES :thumbup1: buying used is the way to go if you don't mind the occasional wear and tear on the watch you buy.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Plus one 80% of my collection is pre-owned

Some advice, when buying a pre-owned watch know your seller. If you are a novice at buying pre-owned watches, make sure you buy the cleanest watch as possible.

Also, have a look see at the service history of the watch in question, and have a way as with a brand new wacth to service the watch down the line

Arthur

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can only add that I too have purchased most of my watches from various sites like WTF. I have not had one issue with a seller and would not hesitate to spend $500 or $$5000 with many of these members. As always do your research on both the piece and seller. Good Luck and welcome to the Assylum.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Agreed

I can only add that I too have purchased most of my watches from various sites like WTF. I have not had one issue with a seller and would not hesitate to spend $500 or $$5000 with many of these members. As always do your research on both the piece and seller. Good Luck and welcome to the Assylum.
WTF is a safe house to buy watches from.
With the wealth of member knowledge regarding different brands, anyone posting pictures of a watch in question can be assisted in no time.

Arthur

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have had more issues with the watches I bought new than the ones I bought used.

X2 for the above recommendation to know the service history. If you're buying a vintage watch, assume it's due for service (and factor $200 into the price) unless proven otherwise.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I wouldn't call mechanical watches 'fragile'. They're not indestructible, but our fathers and grandfathers wore them to work every day and depended on them, so they're fairly sturdy.

Should you run a jackhammer or swing an axe with one on? Probably not.

Can you rely on a well-serviced mechanical watch? Yup.

Regarding buying used, since I wear vintage, I don't really have a choice. They're not making NEW vintage watches anymore! :wink:

Buy the seller, buy a quality watch, have it serviced professionally, and you can relax.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Buying a watch new? Huh, interesting idea. Can't say it's occurred to me in the past two or three years. New old stock, sure, but just plain new? Interesting.:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I'm learning the hard way after spending a fortune on new watches that pre-loved watches owned and cared for by enthusiast on watch forums and this one in paticular is a rewarding proposition. My watch mentors have echoed the sentiment of buying pre-owned of course with due dilligence

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ditto...since I'm a vintage fan also, I only buy used and with great success...

I can't say the same for the last "new" watch I purchased online from an ebay seller, not an ad,..
the crown/stem came off shortly after and became lost, I haven't bothered to have it replaced yet...about ten years and counting. :blushing:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ditto...since I'm a vintage fan also, I only buy used and with great success...

I can't say the same for the last "new" watch I purchased online from an ebay seller, not an ad,..
the crown/stem came off shortly after and became lost, I haven't bothered to have it replaced yet...about ten years and counting. :blushing:
Ten years? Doesn't that make it vintage? :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying used. Sure, sometimes you're taking a chance. But good, clear, pics provided from the seller help quite a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts