WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The seller amended his listing and now has the correct date. I know this seller. I purchased his 100th Anniv. with 230 mvt. last year and have communicated with him about Accutrons several times since. He is a good guy and quite knowledgeable. Just a typo, I guess. Even more rare is his other Accutron listing. Check it out.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
OK, I'm going to demonstrate my ignorance again. Does anyone believe that Bulova made that watch as a skeleton or do you suspect, as I do, that it is the work of a Dremel tool ?

The ladies one looks a lot more original to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK, I'm going to demonstrate my ignorance again. Does anyone believe that Bulova made that watch as a skeleton or do you suspect, as I do, that it is the work of a Dremel tool
Use of Dremel tool where? The case and dial combo is funky at a minimum and I can see where it might not be original, but the calendar bridge in the middle for the skeleton is the same as on my (and your) 218 Spaceviews. I will admit this is the most far-out, bizzare looking spaceview / skeleton I think I can say I have seen.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The Dremel tool would have been used to cut out the part of the dial that is gone, not at all hard to do. As for the bridge, those can be easily purchased. I can hardly believe that Bulova would have left the whole calender wheel exposed like that. However, I freely admitted that I was again putting my ignorance on display.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I didn't know they were separate. I would understand then that somebody just took out the dial and added the bridge. Correct ? Now I wonder what dial it had. The 218's I can find with a dial and a chapter ring were Deep Seas and Astronauts.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I didn't know they were separate. I would understand then that somebody just took out the dial and added the bridge. Correct ? Now I wonder what dial it had. The 218's I can find with a dial and a chapter ring were Deep Seas and Astronauts.
It would have had a black dial much like the ladies 2303 that I had until recently. I noticed that the UK seller also has one of these (200887279396) listed. It can't be all that rare if I had one.

I can't say about the bridge. Never seen one without the dial attached but the sellers watch does have other issues. The date wheel of the 218D/2181 does not fit the window. You should not be able to see the outer edge of the wheel when it is lined up in the notch. The correct 218 movement for that anniversary case would have been a 2182 day/date.
Also, the watch has some chipping of the heavy gold plating that was discussed in another thread recently.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I just got a new puter, appears I need a better monitor too. I'm tempted to go after the lady's Anniversary the seller has for sale but I'm keeping my powder dry for an Accutron I have spotted in a jewelry store.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The one pictured in the ad has a 218 mvt. as can be determined by the three letter Day wheel.
Oliver, If you look at the ad closely, it is an Accuquartz Centenary model. Wish I could read French. It looks like there were at least four movements that could have been standard in 1975 anniversary style watches and that none were Spaceview.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
SAM2 -- "It looks like there were at least four movements that could have been standard in 1975 anniversary style watches and that none were Spaceview. "

Now I'm really confused. The four movements for which I'm aware for the 1975 Anniversary watches were 214, 218, 224 and 230 and the only 214 Anniversary models of which I'm aware were Spaceviews. I have an SS one.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
SAM2 -- "It looks like there were at least four movements that could have been standard in 1975 anniversary style watches and that none were Spaceview. "

Now I'm really confused. The four movements for which I'm aware for the 1975 Anniversary watches were 214, 218, 224 and 230 and the only 214 Anniversary models of which I'm aware were Spaceviews. I have an SS one.
As far as I know, those are the only ones used for 100th Anniv. Accutrons. So far, we have never heard of a 219 or 221 found in the Anniv. series. As for the 218 Anniv. Spaceview, perhaps we should ask Karl - the seller - what he knows about this model.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

.........and the only 214 Anniversary models of which I'm aware were Spaceviews. I have an SS one.
You are correct. My fingers type faster than I can think sometimes.
The 214 100th Anniversary Accutrons had the transparent (Spaceview) dial . The Centenary Model with case number 7579-1 (tuning fork style case) all had a 2182F movement with day and date wheels and to the best of my limited knowledge, were not made in a Spaceview version.
Think about it. Is there one other example of a Bulova watch with exposed day or date wheels? Steampunk, as an artistic style in men's fashions, was more than a decade in the future and is just now coming into vogue in fashion watches. That is just not the kind of thing that the watch designers would have done in 1975.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oliver, If you look at the ad closely, it is an Accuquartz Centenary model. Wish I could read French. It looks like there were at least four movements that could have been standard in 1975 anniversary style watches and that none were Spaceview.
I tried zooming in on the ad, but the quality is too poor for me to read the text. If there's a better version, I'm happy to translate it to the best of my knowledge (my French is not as good as my Dutch or English, but normally adequate for ads and such).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.