WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sadly often times we have a watch goal that is pushed aside because something gets in the way--a spouse, the watch gets nabbed in a last second snipe at the bay, loss of a job or money being diverted to less than fun things such as bills. i was ready to plunk down some big bucks on a steinhart but now that money has to go to cover my hmo $1000 deductible (off to have an m.r.i tonight for a lumbar disc problem). in the old days there were no such things as deductibles in hmo but alas, the times have caught up to us (me)--at least here in massachusetts where we have romney care which was the template for obama care.

so what have you forum members lost because of bills, snipers and spouses (and other such people and events)?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the Steinhart but I can sympathize. I was mowing the yard this morning going under a tree when a branch knocked my glasses off and into the path of the mower before I could react. I was due for new glasses anyway so got two pairs but that $1100 has to come from somewhere.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
That sucks pratt. :sad: I'm sure most of us have been derailed temporarily in the pursuit of a watch for many reasons. Any homeowner can tell you stories of the __________ (fill in water heater, central a.c. unit, vinyl siding, etc) repair or replacement that set them back what feels like eons. Been there, done that. :001_rolleyes: 2 things that are sadly inconvenient are (1) actually having to work at work and (2) reassigning fun money to grudge purchases.

To put a positive spin on failures, the most epicly fruitful one I had was when I was amassing the funds for a Breguet a couple years ago. Based on the average selling price of the models I was looking at, my calculations put me at around 28% of goal when my old Blancpain Villeret popped up on elitedealseeker.com. Same movement, similar pedigree, attractive dial.... so I went for that instead. The watch got traded in for my IWC Portofino + cash that I used to fund two other watches, one of which was restored and promptly traded for the '59 Constellation caliber 504 with that really cool crazing/patina on the dial. I still want a Breguet, but there's an AP and possibly a Zenith that I would love to add to my collection.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
so what have you forum members lost because of bills, snipers and spouses (and other such people and events)?
I wish the US dollar was a little weaker against the Euro at the moment as I try to pay off the final payment on a purchase before the end of the month. A year ago I got an extra 20 cent per dollar, wouldn't mind having it back now. I will say the reason is spouse but that would not be fair, she was diagnosed with cancer about 6 weeks ago and surgery is on the 28th of this month so I would like to not have any outstanding purchases/payments once her treatment starts, but in the bigger picture the watch is irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I got side tracked, called away. but to finish my post about the glasses, I've been trying to buy some gold Accutrons to keep them from being melted and I had my eye on a couple that are coming up for sale but will have to rely on someone else to save them.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I'm not going to go into how many times I've been sniped on the bay. I set my price what I think is a good deal. But like what a1watch says it can be worse. Sorry to hear that Richard hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sky pilot--$1100 for two pairs of glasses? yikes! are these glasses with an watch built in? automatic i hope.

richard--sorry to hear about your wife having cancer. that sucks! i hope all will be well for you two.

ulack--great post on the other thread. good to hear an honest reply.

had i known i was going to herniate a disc and needed an m.r.i. i would have bought a cheap chinese watch from the bay and snuck it in with me just to see what would happen to an automatic watch go up against an m.r.i machine. major bummer as that could have been a good thread here at the forum. of course, with my luck the m.r.i. machine would have blown up and added another insult to my body--or i would be stuck with the bill and the only thing i could afford hereafter is a cheap chinese watch.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Currently finishing the basement, shingles need replacing, 6 kids to feed, $4000 for daughters figure skating, son's soccer, lacrosse and hockey!!!!

All donations are appreciated!!!!

Paul

·
Registered
64 Posts
Richard, all the best to your wife.

$158,000 for new office. I can stomach that, but what is un-pallette-able is the $9800 bucks that goes to the EPA for emissions/fuel guzzler tax. I'm in Canada. I think the $9800 would have done a nice job of getting my collection on it's way.

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
I'll skip the details, but yeah, I'm in the derailment line with you. This is in limbo right now...

It's worth refurbishing to me.
A few swirls of the rotor and it'll run for about an hour...a shame it doesn't have a crown. Probably needs a new crystal, cause that's dirt on the dial, not "patina". And the solid gold case could use some prettying-up too. My grandad was a Doctor and tried to go top-shelf all the way. Yeah, my Grandfather's Omega. And so help me, I don't know when, but some day it's gonna look great again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts