WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

i'm just starting on a project for a very good buddy of mine, and since i thought this up a couple of months ago, i wanted to make it, and now i got a chance, finally :)

There is nothing really set in stone yet, we are figuring out what would be the best movement for this watch (we want off center seconds but not sure about a date complication), and the dial finish is still in talking too. However, we are very sure about the case.

Anyway, one of the options for the movement (besides 6498, 2895 and peseux 7046) is an AS 1130, which i fell in love with some time ago. I have a bunch of these movements here, most of them were 'for parts or repair' , so i took them apart and was able to put together three working pieces with antishock. They are all Frankensteins that will need refurbishing, new finishes and plating and even though i'm not sure i will use it in this watch, i started the work on one of them today. I'm thinking even if we don't use it, i can use it elsewhere. And i gladly will :)

So, the movement taken apart and only some little re-finishing done. I wanted to do anglage and full perlage, but someone has to pay for it, so i didn't. I will get back to that though, if this movement should end up in one of my watches (not an order).

However, little perlage goes a long way :)

Also, i tested this finish out. Looks way better in person though :)

Here are materials for the case, couple of them anyways. The caseband rough out (not exactly rough, as it is cut on an EDM machine), and a chunk of berylium bronze - there is my front bezel in there somewhere...

My lathe, your normal, simple 400mm turning lenght metalworking lathe. I started by turning out the inside of the case to the desired diameter, re-chucking it and facing.

here it is with the movement holder/dial/front bezel pocket machined. The aforementioned three pieces will fit into this bored out part, sealed by an o ring and held by screws. More on that later on.

Then i went on and machined my lugs a bit, just cause i had the right tool in, and it seemed like a good idea. This build will be a bit chaotic anyways, as we're still figuring out the movement and dial, but in the end, a watch should pop out no matter what we do first.

Now this ain't gon be fun... The berylium bronze is a sawblade killer, bigtime, so i just cut the bare essentials on my bandsaw, and machined it on the lathe. Needless to say, it was not very pleasant, and if my lathe had a face, it would probably be giving me the 'what the **** did i ever do to you? ' look :)

Well, too much drama over not so much... and about an hour later

And last pic for this post, i turned the inside of the front bezel to a rough dimension. I still need to part this, and machine it to the right size. At this point, i need to stress that when i machine a big chunk like this, it gets hot. I mean properly hot. So i'm always machining rough, to my final dimensions + .5mm in every direction. This saves me from the big ooops when the piece that was machined to a perfect fit shrinks as it cools down, and nothing fits anymore (been there, done that.... never again).

Thank you for looking, take care,
Ondrej

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Very cool! Thank you for sharing this "insider's glimpse" with us! I'm anxious to watch it move forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys :)

Here's more:

After trying to part the bronze the traditional way and getting my ass kicked by it, i went for the wuss way of doing things and cut it off with an angle grinder. Worked nicely though

Next, i machined the underside of the bezel to fit inside the case

And machined the front to fit the crystal (try out mineral at this point, but there will be AR saphire in there). Now i need to figure out hiw i will drill the screw holes in the bezel and machine it to the finished shape, and also probably thin down the rim around the bezel, because it's not looking so good yet.

Ondrej

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Couldn't stay away :)

I really wanted to see what the bezel looks like, so i made a centering fixture for my turning table and attached the front bezel and drilled five holes through the rim.

now for some milling... please excuse my hair - after a whole day in 30 + °C, i ain't looking too good...

more milling...

and the end result with majority of the burrs removed...

you can probably guess the source of my inspiration for this bezel, but i like it so much i wanted to use it, at least once.

Ondrej

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If you have access to an EDM, pretty much all metals "machine" the same on it.

Note that Beryllium is a lethal toxin to about 10% of the population. BrushWellman and the other big manufacturers have very extensive protocols for protection - think radiation level attention. All entry/exit goes through a shower. At the minimum, you should be wearing a proper respirator when machining it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys,

as for the berylium, there is only about 3% of it in the Be-bronze. And it's not dangerous in that particular alloy, because it's bound in the structure with copper. I have red a lot about berylium, and talked to a buddy of mine who is a chemist and metalurgist (am i even typing that right? ), so i'm pretty much sure i'm allright. I mean, it's not more dangerous than say titanium (6Al4V with the 4% of Vanadium is not exactly a walk in the park for your health).
The thing with the EDM, it's only a small step in the whole process (as you can see and will continue to see further), which makes it easier to keep things parallel and symetric, cause there is very little chance of actually making these integral lug cases using just your eyes and hands.

Oh, and finally we decided on a movement to use - 6498. I machined the case to fit the movement, but i kept a bit of free space height-vise, because we have a little thing planned i first have to design though... I'll keep you posted.

Ondrej

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.