WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been in the "brown boot" army back in the 50's, I distinctly remember web equipment, mostly from WWII, that was a "Dark" khaki color. And I have seen some watch collections that have had that dark khaki color. Does anybody know where I can get watch straps this color? The best example I can envision of the color is the standard Eisenhower jacket.

As I perceive it right now, the current khaki military issue color is a "desert" tan, or a very light khaki. Then there was the khaki in use until the Gulf wars that was more of an olive khaki (but not Olive Drab or Olive Green--those were separate colors), and then the WWII/Korea khaki which had a brownish or even an ochre-based color.

My searches for watch bands in dark khaki haven't yielded any results (except for websites selling Bertucci quartz watches with dark khaki bands). I have a couple of WWII pieces that I would like to have this color band for.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Can you post a picture of something in the color you are looking for?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the first time I saw this color was on a photo of this incredible selection of wartime (WWII) watches, and I think they were all Hamiltons. Maybe some Benri, also. Most of the straps were regular khaki, but a couple were the "dark khaki."

I think I saw this shot on WTF, but I haven't been able to dig it up yet. I'll keep looking. I briefly saw a guy in passing with a Speedmaster on that color strap, but I didn't get a chance to ask him about it. I'm still trying to find him

The Bertucci website shows some of their pieces with a Dark Khaki colored band, but they don't offer the band separately, at least from what I have seen.

Other than that, I'm beginning to think that the only source for Dark Khaki bands might be WWII army surplus straps mounted on the tag stock backing with the military nomenclature on them. That has to be expensive, I would think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it turns out they do. I had missed that. But the straps are dark khaki in nylon, and I'm looking for open-ended straps (not NATO) in this color made out of canvas or whatever cotton-based cloth they used for web equipment.

The Bertucci strap seems to be a good alternative, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts