WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Would you pay a bit more if Rolex offered a sapphire case-back & decorated movement?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you pay a little more if Rolex offered a sapphire case-back & highly decorated movement to view? I know 'little' & Rolex are a very subjective view, but lets say $200-300 at most. Would you pay a little more to have a sapphire case-back & very detailed, decorated movement? I'm not talking the current movement, which is very nice. But Geneva waves, the 'engine swirls' (don't know what they're really called) and all that detailed decorating.

To me, that would possibly be a counterfeit deterrent too. Doing that level of decoration isn't easy. And to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any fake makers that ever duplicate a decorated movement anywhere near what the originals are. Plus, I do enjoy gazing at the movements of the watches I do have on sapphire case-backs..

So what's your thoughts. Would you buy one or prefer the standard steel case-back?

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I answered "yes" but a couple of things here:

1. This sort of thing wouldn't be appropriate for every watch. Yacht-Master and Daytona, maybe. Certainly on a DJ or DD. But not on a Sub or Sea-Dweller.

2. It would undoubtedly cost a heckuva lot more than $300.00. :scared:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I answer No;

ALTHOUGH, this weekend I was appreciating the Chronoswiss Opos Skeleton (very cool looking watch) It is nice to see the movement and decorated parts;

HOWEVER, Rolex is Rolex and they don't mes around with glass backs and decorated movements. They build a quality watch and that's it, not all the show!

Just my humble opinion.:biggrin:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HOWEVER, Rolex is Rolex and they don't mes around with glass backs and decorated movements. They build a quality watch and that's it, not all the show!

Just my humble opinion.:biggrin:

Actually, on the Cellini models they do have a sapphire caseback... :thumbup1: So I was thinking, 'what if they expanded it?'. Admittedly though, the Cellini isn't much more decorated than the others though..

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I answered "yes" but a couple of things here:

1. This sort of thing wouldn't be appropriate for every watch. Yacht-Master and Daytona, maybe. Certainly on a DJ or DD. But not on a Sub or Sea-Dweller.

2. It would undoubtedly cost a heckuva lot more than $300.00. :scared:
Ok, yea.. I agree it wouldn't be good for all, like the Sub & SD.. Plus, the technical specs would probably exclude them anyways given the depth ratings... I was thinking the others you mentioned (DD's, DJ's, Yacht-Master, Daytona's etc...)

And I seriously have no clue on what it would cost but agree realistically it would probably be much more than $300.. but I just put that number on there as realistically too much above that may not be worth the "what do I get for my money". So I figured, if they could do it for $300 or less, would you take it...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wasn't the point of the oyster case to craft the case and the case back from a single piece of steel? That way if pressure builds, it can get dented like a can, but not burst. I've seen a pic of it. Sapphire on the front and back would crack under pressure (or else they'd have to make it thick on BOTH sides).

·
Registered
144 Posts
My vote is possibly, by the way, have I not seen a saphire caseback on a Daytona courtesy of Hannes on this forum?

John

·
Registered
590 Posts
Voted yes it would fit well with my signature. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's a no from me, I like the robustness of Steel and don't really want to see the workings as it would just make me want to open it and explore more.:scared:

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I've had a few sapphire case-back watches, and while they looked very cool when I first saw them, the novelty wore off quickly. I rarely take off my watch (except when showering), so the caseback is rarely if ever seen. I'm not a fan of skeleton dials either...they look too busy and it's hard to read the time.
I prefer all go with less show.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I voted yes; but, it is conditional. For all Diving watches, the answer would be no. I would only do it for an Air King or Datejust, and would only pay a few bucks more. No more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts