WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Your help is required please.

This is not a question about which is more desirable, because I appreciate that is totally subjective.

I was hoping to utilise the considerable knowledge on this forum to see whether what I am considering is a good deal.

First of all I would like to say that the Plo Prof 1200 is my favourite Omega. (see here: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/omega-forum/45842.htm ) Until I come to wear mine that is: The problem is that I have skinny 6.5" wrists and a pronounced knuckle. The high relief grip on the reverse of the Plo Prof 1200 rubs into my knuckle and makes it sore every time I wear it. My brainwave was to look for a Plo Prof 600. This has a less pronounced "grip" on the back.

After lots of searching I have found one at a respected Ebay seller (over 1000 feedbacks at 100%) not too far from me. It looks very tidy and originates from my birth year: 1970. It comes with the original box (collectable?) but no original paperwork. I bought my Plo Prof 2 years ago for £4000. The Ebay seller is willing to give me £4000 for it against the Plo Prof 600. He wants £5000 for the 600, which doesn't sound too bad if you consider they started going for stupid money after Omegmania. Although I have seen one in the US for sale for $6000!

Do you think the £1000 swap is a good deal? I could buy a brand new Plo Prof 1200 for £4300, so I doubt I would get anywhere near £4000 for it privately.

Thank You all in advance for your help.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I know very little of the vintage dive Omegas, but one thing I do know is many of us can't think without pictures. Got a shot of the potential trade?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know very little of the vintage dive Omegas, but one thing I do know is many of us can't think without pictures. Got a shot of the potential trade?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Many pictures of my Plo Prof 1200 can be found in the review link I posted.

The Plo Prof 600 in question is here:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
IMO, the original is always better than the reissue. :thumbup1: Can't tell you if the one you're looking at is kosher though. :confused1:

·
Banned
2,653 Posts
It looks fine to me. Do you plan to dive with it? If you do be certain it has been serviced and pressure tested. Has the seller mentioned the condition of the movement? Personally, I would take the plunge and go for the original. The price is tough to resist.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks fine to me. Do you plan to dive with it? If you do be certain it has been serviced and pressure tested. Has the seller mentioned the condition of the movement? Personally, I would take the plunge and go for the original. The price is tough to resist.
Thanks for your input Mr Bond.

I do not intend to get it anywhere near water if I can help it.

The seller merely mentions that the movement is working perfectly. I will expect a full demonstration and time to allow the accuracy to be realised.

You say the price is too good to resist. I have worked out that getting £4000 for my two year old 1200 is a great deal. However, I've not been ablt to assess whether £5000 is a good price to pay for the 600. Does anyone have any reference for this please?

Cheers,

Rick.

·
Banned
2,653 Posts
However, I've not been ablt to assess whether £5000 is a good price to pay for the 600. Does anyone have any reference for this please?

Cheers,

Rick.
£5000 is $7915 while I am typing. There is one on eBay now selling for $9500 and another Buy Now for $5600. The $9500 price is high imo since you can buy them for less if you stake out known sources. If it is in the condition the seller claims it is than it could be a good purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts