WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace one of my watch bracelets.

The one on the watch is OK but not all that comfortable due to the rather thin metal used on the lock. Now the bracelet is dual coloured. SS and gold plated.

The question is, is it worth getting a gold filled bracelet at about 5 times the price being asked for a plated one?
I am tempted but I am holding off at the moment as it appears that the gold filled are only available in the US and given the state of the £ it will be some time until the exchange rate is a bit more favourable.
I have been told that the gold filled are more durable but are they worth the markup?

·
Super Moderator
15,314 Posts
Hey...........that's 2 questions!

Yes, gold fill is more durable than plated gold because way, way thicker.
Generally speaking, gold plate is 0.175 to 2.50 microns in thickness. (1 micron + 1/1,000 of a millimeter)
Filled gold is 5X to 10X thicker than regular gold plating, and 15X to 25X thicker than electro-plated gold. The difference is definitely visible.
Gold plate is molecules of gold attached to the base metal, while gold fill is an actual sheet of gold that is then pressure-bonded to the base metal.

If you're going to keep the watch bracelet for at least a decade, I'd say the cost is worth it (the gold plate will probably have rubbed off in spots by then, and that will look like you-know-what!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Bill.

You have cleared up the question, I will get a gold-filled as soon as the exchange rate steadies up a bit.

Andrew.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts