WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given 2 watch's. One was a Rolex (Keeper-in shop for a complete set up) The other was sorta like- 'Take that other watch too'. Turns out it was a 1962 Omega seamaster de ville.550 movement.14K gold filled case.Original omega band.Rare dial in a 'Basket weave'. It runs fine, just fast. What kind of money are we talking to have this baby fixed properly. (I saw one dude had a similar watch and sent it to omega to get cleaned and tuned.There estimate was $780!) I am not really that excited about it. I would rather just keep the rolex for 'nights out', and buy a nice sieko for all around day use.(Ok maybie two siekos-one 'beater! LOL) Whats this worth now? and after set up? Thanks!! 100_9443.jpg 100_9463.jpg 100_9432.jpg 100_9421.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Don't send it to Omega - send it to Jesse Hueg (member omega564 - watchmaker and sponsor here). You'll pay around $200 to have it run like it should and look great. He's done several of my watches including almost a half dozen vintage Omegas. You can contact him via e-mail at [email protected] or PM here.

In the condition the watch is in now it might bring $200 because there's some issues like bent lugs, but spiffed up and serviced it's worth double or more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$200? On another site someone offered me $200 for just the movement. I've been searching 'Completed listings' on e-bay and beat to crap seamasters that dont even work with out the strap are $150. I think I will leave it on e-bay. Maybie it will do well with that cool rare dial. 100_9482.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hey, believe what you want. Remember that asking price is much different from selling price and this is a tough economy.

For the record, I sold a near mint DeVille for about $450 a while back, and bought a mint 166.020 for $525 - but both were serviced by competent watch makers.

Thanks for dropping by, good luck with your sale, and have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
$200? On another site someone offered me $200 for just the movement. I've been searching 'Completed listings' on e-bay and beat to crap seamasters that dont even work with out the strap are $150. I think I will leave it on e-bay. Maybie it will do well with that cool rare dial. View attachment 26870

Your initial question was "how much is it worth" you did not ask how much you could get on eBay for it, so the quotation was fair and unbiased. It is possible that a watch worth $50 could fetch $200 on eBay but does this make it worth the selling price, I don't think so.

As for getting the work done, you will not find a better person for the job than the one recommended by ulackfocus.

My suggestion is get the watch fixed up and wear it in good health.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My '62 Seamaster has that same 550 movement & it is really a wonderful watch. Spend a little time with it & you might decide to keep it. Truly a classic.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Good advice from Ulackfocus. Get that baby cleaned up and serviced, it will make a great everyday watch. Since it was free, spend a few bucks on it. I have a few vintage Omegas. Some in SS and some gold. They're soooooo much nicer than what's out there new today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much everybody! I appreciate the old guy but its just not my kinda watch. I do like that dial-I found one 'sorta' like it, but searched for HOURS and couldnt find one just like it-hopefully some one has been looking for a different seamaster deville.Heres the other gift, Im gonna hang on to that! 100_9298.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Final bid on the auction: $320. A nice price for that SMDV, and should net around $275 - $280 after eBay & Paypal are done their scalping.

Now that two tone DateJust is the definition of an iconic watch. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on ulackfocus! The Rolex is nice but not gaudy looking. Not Blingy.Now Im after a sieko and maybie a Work watch.I forgot how good it felt to wear a watch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts