WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing the internet I came upon a discussion in which the subject was Invicta outselling all other brands in the US. I found a couple replies very interesting so I contacted him to obtain permission to share with us. James Elsener, one of our sponsors and maker of our WTF watch was more than happy to share. I think you will enjoy his insight of the world market of the watch industry....

Invicta is most likely the biggest selling single brand in the US. Might well be that they are selling in excess of 1.4 million watches per year under that brand name.

On a world-wide scale the biggest selling brand is Titan Watch of India. Titan sells some 7.0 million watches per year under that brand plus some 3.0 million under sister brands like Sonata and others.

In China, another of the world's big markets, the largest brand is said to be Bejing Watch from the company of the same name. They manufacture some 2.0 million watches under that name according to industry sources. The largest single manufacturer in China is Tianjin Seagull Watch Co. They are part of Peace Mark Holdings from Hong Kong and have a production capacity of close to 6.0 million pieces. But none of their many brands is reckoned to pass the 1.0 million mark.

Rolex manufactures per year about 700,000 watches. Tissot is said to be Switzerland's largest selling single brand with about 1.2 million watches manufactured per year. Victorinox is a close second and manufactures some 1.0 million watches. 250,000 Victorinox watches are sold in the US alone every year. All in all Switzerland's watch industry manufactures close to 28,000,000 watches per year only. However, compared to the world's production of some 1.2 billion watches this is a drop in the ocean.

James Elsener
Owner of Montres Edouard Lauzières
www.edouardlauzieres.com

James on the Asian impact on the world market..

Thank you for your question.

The Japanese industry association claims that its members manufacture some 700 million watches and movements per year. This would mean that close to 60% of all watches are manufactured by Japanese owned companies either in Japan or overseas.

Seiko accounts most likely for some 200 million watches/movements per year. Given the fact that their watches are in a higher price range than the ones of Japan's number 1 which is Citizen Group.

83% of the world's production are analog-quartz watches and movements, 15% are digital-quartz and only 2% are watches with mechanical movements. There are thus a lot more companies manufacturing quartz watches only than companies manufacturing mechanical watches.

The Chinese by the way say of their industry that they control 60% of the market as well. Given the rarely precise statistics coming out of China and the precision and fondness of details of the Japanese culture I tend to believe the Japanese though.

What is for sure is that the largest number of watch factories are to be found in China. At the last count there were more than 8,000 companies manufacturing watches in mainland China alone. In Hong Kong there are some 2,000 companies, and in Japan there are only 8 companies or groups active in the field. This gives you an idea about the size of the individual players.

James Elsener
Owner of Montres Edouard Lauzières
www.edouardlauzieres.com

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Very interesting post, Dodger blue. James Elsener is a treasure trove of information.

Suggestion: maybe he would consent to doing an interview with the membership submitting questions through the GF mods (similar to the Jim Skelton interview last year). His knowledge of the industry would be a treat for all of us WIS's.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found these facts very interesting...

- Invicta, 1.4 million watches sold in US.
- Titan Watch (India), sells 7 million watches per year and another 3 million under another brand name.
- Rolex makes about 700,000 watches per year.
- Tissot, largest selling Swiss Brand @1.2 million watches per year.
- Victorinox #2 Swiss selling brand 1.0 million (250,000 in US).

Here is the really good stuff.....

- 83% of the worlds production is analog quartz.
15% of the worlds production is digital quartz.
2% of the worlds production mechanical/automatic.

- Chinese have 8,000 companies producing watches!
In Hong Kong, 2,000
In Japan, 8

It really gives me a perspective of the small part of this watch world we select to play in.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I found these facts very interesting...

- Invicta, 1.4 million watches sold in US.
- Titan Watch (India), sells 7 million watches per year and another 3 million under another brand name.
- Rolex makes about 700,000 watches per year.
- Tissot, largest selling Swiss Brand @1.2 million watches per year.
- Victorinox #2 Swiss selling brand 1.0 million (250,000 in US).
JS stated on another forum yesterday that figures direct from Eyal state that Invicta has sold 1.7 million this year and expects to exceed 2 million in 2008. I would venture to say that those are figures for Invicta Watch Group which include sub brands sold worldwide. I would like to see/hear the figures for the Invicta brand in the U.S. only.

Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
i would think that a large part of the invicta sales are from the "qvc" like channels on cable.

i saw the invicta line being sold exclusively a few times this weekend on one of those type cable channels.

a few great deals but i did not buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts