WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Here are some pics of my nephew’s great grandfather’s watch. About all I can tell from the serial # and plate configuration is it’s from 1923 and a model 7.

Very modest everyday timepiece. Probably provided him with a lifetime of good service and is still capable of doing the same today.

The case is heavy with a patina that is a little yellow compared to the sterling I have. The marking is from the Crescent Watch Case Company and has no content stamp so I’m thinking it's solid nickel. The Shubert book has a drawing of this very case at the start of the Elgin pocket watch chapter. Let me know if you can identify the grade and any other details.

Thanks, Joel

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
That's a lovely bit of kit Joel. Your nephew is very lucky.

It looks well used and treasured. Just as it should.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That's so cool! Grandfather watches are special. And running, too! I love the swing-out case, and it should polish up nicely! :thumbup1:

When Dad and I were going through his fathers things, we found a number of watches, but two were really special. One was my Great-grandfather's gold filled Elgin, with 'George H. Smith' engraved on the cuvet. After he died, my Grandfather (same name) carried that one for a long time. The other one was a sterling silver Reliance, a 7 jewel movement made by Ingersoll. The cuvet was 'engraved' (scratched, really) in Pap's handwriting - 'Return to Geo. H. Smith Jr. 437 Jucunda St. Pgh.' That made it even more special.

The other 'Grandfather watch' in my family belonged to my Mom's father, who was a doctor. It's a 14k, 21j Bulova wristwatch from the 40s. When my niece graduated from Med School, Mom and Dad gave it to her, and since it's a nice size she wears it as her daily.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I sorta wish there was a special picture gallery for people who had those very special heirloom pieces to share. To me there is just something very valuable about a piece that has passed from one family member to another. Sure, its always nice to find a nice piece for a great price somewhere, but to have a watch that tells a story trumps that in my book.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping someone could give me some info on the movement (#26270140) and the case (marked with a crescent moon and star and the words GRADE MARK). I really, really miss the Elgin database. Its loss makes basic horology much more difficult for Elgin watches. Copies of the two data files that were available from tbe original site would get us started again. I deeply regret my complaciency in not digging into the resource while it was still online. The internet gives everyone the false impression that information will be there forever like a library or public records. Sadly not necessarily true.

Joel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts