WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about trying to organize a get together for the midwest, seems like we haven't ever had one, and we are way past due! I know most of the members on the boards are from the west or east coast, but I think there's a good amount of members here from the midwest. So before I get carried away and too into the idea, I want to check intrest and see if it's really worth it. What do you midwest guys think? ya or na?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I'd be interested, but it would somewhat depend on where the GTG would take place. Unless we were to meet somewhere in the middle I'd probably want to make it part of a weekend getaway for my wife and I.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be interested, but it would somewhat depend on where the GTG would take place. Unless we were to meet somewhere in the middle I'd probably want to make it part of a weekend getaway for my wife and I.
I'll be some where around here.
What time of the year do you guys think would be the best? perhaps fall, or later summer? I'm intrested in getting this going and organizing this event. I just don't wanna organize it and have 3 people show up, even though it still would be fun. What are you guys thinking about location? any ideas are greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
What time of the year do you guys think would be the best? perhaps fall, or later summer? I'm intrested in getting this going and organizing this event. I just don't wanna organize it and have 3 people show up, even though it still would be fun. What are you guys thinking about location? any ideas are greatly appreciated
You may not get much more than 3 or 4 people who are interested since there just doesn't seem to be many people on here from MN, WI, and IL.

Regarding location, anything within a few hours from Minneapolis would be pretty easy for me to work into my schedule since I could do it all in one day vs staying overnight, but I realize that's pretty unlikely since everyone else interested so far is closer to the eastern side of WI. I'll have to check my schedule to see where I could squeeze in a weekend getaway.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking maybe Chicago, or Milwukee, but maybe MN or the twin cities would be a better option, thats why I started this thread to get everyone's ideas and thoughts, and if this was going to be a go or no go

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I was thinking maybe Chicago, or Milwukee, but maybe MN or the twin cities would be a better option, thats why I started this thread to get everyone's ideas and thoughts, and if this was going to be a go or no go
Let meet in the middle I'm in just got to a date and location.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let meet in the middle I'm in just got to a date and location.
well thats one confirmed, anyone else, what sort of stuff would you guys like to see planned? dinner? dinner and maybe a movie? or just all meet up at a local willing AD who would want to play host for a few hours?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in Chicago...never been to a GTG before. Would be fun, but I don't own a car, so I'm out if the venue has no public transport access (unless I bring the girlie along...)

Dinner sounds fun. None of us will say anything to each other for two hours if we go see a movie! AD is a possibility, although I am not known by any in the city.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illionis location

I would be interested form SE corner of Wi. Location of Wisconsin Dells would be in about the middle.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would be interested form SE corner of Wi. Location of Wisconsin Dells would be in about the middle.
thats not a bad idea, there is a ton to do in the dells as well, there are alot of water parks, and muesums and candy stores, as far as AD's go, there isn't anything really out that way, but if everyone is on board with that location, then maybe we should go with it, what do you guys think? q

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Just spinballing here, but another idea would be the Southern Wisconsin Airfest in Janesville. It's coming up quick (Memorial Day weekend) so it might be hard to pull off, but it would be fun.

Southern Wisconsin AirFEST 2012 – Air Show in Janesville WI

If we were to do this I would have to bring my wife since she loves air shows, but considering it would be more than just sitting around talking about watches, I wouldn't be opposed to including our significant others. Also, depending on how many of us there would be and what peoples budgets are, it looks like you can reserve a table for 8 that includes catered food, otherwise the regular VIP or even general admission would be fine too. IMO, for our situation, it would at least be worth doing the VIP seating.

Thoughts?

I'd be open to the Dells too, but that place gets pretty nuts in the summer.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just spinballing here, but another idea would be the Southern Wisconsin Airfest in Janesville. It's coming up quick (Memorial Day weekend) so it might be hard to pull off, but it would be fun.

Southern Wisconsin AirFEST 2012 – Air Show in Janesville WI

If we were to do this I would have to bring my wife since she loves air shows, but considering it would be more than just sitting around talking about watches, I wouldn't be opposed to including our significant others. Also, depending on how many of us there would be and what peoples budgets are, it looks like you can reserve a table for 8 that includes catered food, otherwise the regular VIP or even general admission would be fine too. IMO, for our situation, it would at least be worth doing the VIP seating.

Thoughts?

I'd be open to the Dells too, but that place gets pretty nuts in the summer.
Thats a great idea, and I think it's a winner, the only problem is that I'm going to be gone that weekend. I will be at the indy 500. But that is a great idea, and a great option. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Thats a great idea, and I think it's a winner, the only problem is that I'm going to be gone that weekend. I will be at the indy 500. But that is a great idea, and a great option. Anyone else?
Yeah, I figured is was a bit of a long shot since a lot of people probably already have plans for that weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
The air show may be fun but not shue about the weekend. What about the croud at the show?
Yes, the show would be crowded too. I guess I thought it might be a little different since you'd be in one place vs the Dells where you'd probably be moving around more. As I think about it now, the crowds in the Dells probably isn't that big of deal, but just picturing the scene of a GTG in my mind, I thought the air show was a better fit. Anyway, the Dells is still a viable option... I'm just trying to think if there's a better option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 1 hr from Milwaukee and 1 1/2 hrs from Chicago. I'd be down if it were at either place. Minneapolis is 5 1/2 hrs from me.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looks like Wisconsin might be the winner here, we just have to figure out where in Wisconsin, unless more people from illionis start coming up with a place that they want to do a GTG at.

I'd like to try and get a local AD to sponsor the event and get them there with some stuff for sale, and or some stuff we can look at, or try on, and or what not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts