WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening.

I am new to your forum and I thank you for taking my question.

I have been trying to locate information on a Wintex watch I own (estate purchase along with a '62 Seamaster) and I'm hoping someone may have some information to share on this watch.

The watch is older (probably close to the Seamaster's age). Watch dial is orange with a black bezel ring (usual "10","20", etc. markings). Cyclops crystal. Marked "Wintex 17 Jewels" at top, "Incabloc" & "T Swiss Made T" at the bottom. Back is marked "Swiss Made-Waterproof-Stainless Steel Back". Numbered as "2225-5".

I did see a note to the effect that Wintex group was acquired from the Montres Rolex S.A group in 1958. It appears they (Wintex) are now centered out of Italy.

My question...does anyone know if Rolex actually put out watches under this name? If they did, is there anyplace to get info on the dates and possible styles?

I guess the other possibility is that the purchaser of the group continued to market Swiss made watches...from Milano, Italy...? I do note that the "Italian" Wintex has a trademark logo on their dials (a looped "w") that is not used on this watch.

To close...I was wearing the watch when I took my Oyster Grenfell into a German watch shop in Vancouver, BC for a service. It was quite fun watching the look on their faces as they puzzled over the dial name on the Wintex, the "Swiss Made" markings and a non-oyster case.

Thanks again folks...and nice to meet you!

Todd

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wintex Photos

Hi again.

Thank you for the replies.

I never thought of the option of Rolex purchasing these items as I didn't realize that they did (or had) used this practice.

I've tried to get you some photos and I apologize for my lack of Macro photo equipment. Hopefully what I have managed will be of some help.

Whatever it's origin, it's proving to be a nice watch (keeps excellent time) and it gets a lot of comments (the orange of course)!

Thank you,

Todd

Attachments

· Registered
843 Posts
I can't answer your watch question specifically.

Rolex did register the name Wintex on 30 June 1947 as a Model name.

This means it was a Model name like King Midas, Turn-O-Graph, Date-Just, etc.

There are other things to look at though..

. The Cyclops did not appear on Rolex crystals until 1954
. T Swiss Made T would indicate Tritium, used after 1960
. Incabloc required their name on the dial as a condition of use, so Rolex uses the KIF system (almost identical). Don't know if they used Incabloc on other lines.

Why not write Rolex SA a letter....I'm sure they would forward it to the right archives.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wintex

I'm not guaranteeing the following is accurate. Please don't treat it as such until it can be verified.

It is my understanding that this was an old eBay posting for a Wintex watch and I give credit to that writer accordingly (should my understanding be correct).

I share it with you because it kind of makes the mystery fun until I get a reply from Rolex.

Quote:
"The "Wintex" brand name was one of several used by Rolex in the early 20th century, along with other names including "Rolco", "Genex", "Viceroy" and "Marconi Lever" to name just a few of the better known ones. This is common knowledge to seasoned collectors but it is further referenced in the James Dowling and Jeffrey Hess book "The Best of Time – Rolex Wristwatches" which indicates that the Wintex name was registered by Rolex founder Hans Wilsdorf on March 07, 1927. This was cased and timed in Canada, where Rolex products were being sold much earlier than in the USA, a trend also seen in other British Commonwealth countries, especially Australia."

Unquote:

If someone has the resource of the mentioned book, may I politely ask if you could confirm the registration date(s) for me? Were there different dates for the registration of a "Brand" versus that of a "Model"?

Does anybody know how to run a check on old eBay listings by a word search? Is it even possible?

As an aside, the watch was/is located in Canada, which might bode some merit to this write-up.

Todd

· Registered
1,335 Posts
I was able to find a Website called Wintex. I had to use Firefox Browser to open it since my IE6 Browser wouldn't let it run. All I saw was Wintex, 1958-2008 and they're celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. It also said Wintex by Mythos and the Caldex group, if that's of any help.

Under Contacts it says:
Caldex S.r.I
Via Terraggio, 15-20123 Milano-Italy
Tel. +39028063101-Fax+390289011689

Not sure if that's of any help, but thought I'd at least lay it out there for you. Doesn't seem to be much more info there, and it's all in Adobe Flash.

The Web address is;
http://www.wintexwatches.com/

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to find a Website called Wintex. I had to use Firefox Browser to open it since my IE6 Browser wouldn't let it run. All I saw was Wintex, 1958-2008 and they're celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. It also said Wintex by Mythos and the Caldex group, if that's of any help.

Under Contacts it says:
Caldex S.r.I
Via Terraggio, 15-20123 Milano-Italy
Tel. +39028063101-Fax+390289011689

Not sure if that's of any help, but thought I'd at least lay it out there for you. Doesn't seem to be much more info there, and it's all in Adobe Flash.

The Web address is;
http://www.wintexwatches.com/
Hi Wolfdog.

I've been to this site. They actually have a post of the Wintex acquisition letter from Rolex. I'm trying to figure out how this watch fits that whole transition equation.

I'm assuming that due to the "Swiss Made" markings on this watch, it has to be either on the Rolex side of the transition OR, Wintex in Italy had this watch substantially made in Switzerland (if we follow the legal use of the term) after the acquisition from Rolex...or (guesses are free right?)...old stock still kicking around Canada?

Maybe I have a schizophrenic watch! :) ..... Watch therapy possibly required?

As LarryD mentioned, I will send a letter to Rolex. I'm going to send the same letter to Wintex, Italy.

If they both claim it, maybe you'd be good enough to flip a coin for the win.

:)

Thanks Wolfdog.

Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.