WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I plunge into a speedmaster pro, please could anyone inform me of the manual winding of said watch. Does the daily winding of the watch increase the wear and tear of the watch, therefore increase the service costs. Or (as I guess) manual watches have this factored in in their design and therefore not as prolematic as I think

Many thanks

Karl

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Before I plunge into a speedmaster pro, please could anyone inform me of the manual winding of said watch. Does the daily winding of the watch increase the wear and tear of the watch, therefore increase the service costs. Or (as I guess) manual watches have this factored in in their design and therefore not as prolematic as I think

Many thanks

Karl
Hi Karl,

You say "daily winding of the watch", whereas an auto will be winding all the time. So, in theory the manual wind watch will be under less stress than the auto. Also, I would say that a manual wind is fairly consistent with respect to the speed of the wind. Whereas an auto is being wound at many different speeds depending on the velocity of the rotor. There are clutches for each type of watch on the main spring so that over winding isn't an issue.

Either way it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sorry, but I had to laugh at first read....my thoughts were:

Well, if you don't wind it, it stops, so what is really the issue..:001_rolleyes:

But after laughing, I suppose it is legitimate to compare the auto to the manual.

For a manual, there is very little wear on a winding crown and stem; it simply rotates in it's bushings and turns the pinion that winds the mainspring. There is not a lot of streess or torque on any of it's parts.

The rotor on an automatic, on the other hand, is always being thrown about and constantly rotates the mainspring bridle within the barrel...more moving parts, more stress caused by the imbalanced weight necessary to operate, and the related clutch to avoid overwinding..

They're both mechanical marvels, but I would guess the manual wind should be the most trouble free......in theory..

:cool1:

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you wear an automatic watch everyday, you won't have to wind it manually. Either way, stop worrying about it and just ENJOY it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts