WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bag the 5205G Annual Calendar last Sep, I now have the opportunity to add a Nautilus after doing some "dealing & trading" on my existing collection. Frankly, I am now enamored to the Patek brand and I would like to get your opinion if a 5711/1a will be a good addition to complement my Daytona & AC.

Thanks again in advance!

·
Banned
63 Posts
Having bag the 5205G Annual Calendar last Sep, I now have the opportunity to add a Nautilus after doing some "dealing & trading" on my existing collection. Frankly, I am now enamored to the Patek brand and I would like to get your opinion if a 5711/1a will be a good addition to complement my Daytona & AC.

Thanks again in advance!
If you really want the classic Nautilus seek out the ref 3700. It will take you some time to hunt down and will cost you 3 times as much as a 5711/1a but you will be wearing the real deal.

good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think 5711 may be good choice

Thanks again in advance!
Hi, consider that you have the AC complication on Patek and chronograph on daytona, why not a simple three hand 5711. I own both the 5711 and 5980 and love them every second and minutes, you can wear them anywhere due to the higher water resistance

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
When you say "versatility" what do you mean?
The Nautilus is classic design. The 5711 provides a larger case than the original. I prefer the layout of the 5712.
What are you ultimately trying to achieve in your collection; a SS everyday watch? another Patek? something else?
Cheers
Christiaan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, consider that you have the AC complication on Patek and chronograph on daytona, why not a simple three hand 5711. I own both the 5711 and 5980 and love them every second and minutes, you can wear them anywhere due to the higher water resistance
Thanks mineral for sharing the same thought. Happy holidays!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Variety and versatility I mean

When you say "versatility" what do you mean?
The Nautilus is classic design. The 5711 provides a larger case than the original. I prefer the layout of the 5712.
What are you ultimately trying to achieve in your collection; a SS everyday watch? another Patek? something else?
Cheers
Christiaan
Thanks Christiaan, I actually meant both -- expanding my Patek collection and putting more varieties to it. I also felt that the Nautilus will add versatility given it can be worn regularly in daily office attire and a good rotation to my AC.

Happy holidays !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bag the 5711/1a

Just to share, I decided to go for the 5711/1a and brought home the baby last month. I shall be posting some pics on this model soon, including a brief writeup. Having worn the said watch for a number of days, I am extremely happy and the said watch has become my favorite. It really did add versatility to my collection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bringing home and "test driving" the baby

Thanks Watchfan1 for your compliments.

As shared earlier, I finally brought home the 5711/1a last month, after months of contemplating on another watch to complement the AC complication. The 5711/1a is really an elegant watch, even in stainless steel mode, with its simplicity found on the three-hand blue dial. :thumbup1: It has been putting a big smile on my face and has in fact become my favorite "test-drive" :lol:patek watch, wrist shot shown below.

5711/1a

Thanks for looking and for all of the forum folks who contributed to this discussion. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Resurrecting and old post of mine. So sorry but I just thought of updating this timepiece discussion especially in light of its discontinuation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the 5711 is the most hyped watch of our times especially with the recent news of it discontinuation.

But it wasn’t like that back in 2011. As I recalled during those times, it was actually not given the much deserved respect despite being the descendant of the famed 3700 original Jumbo due to the availability of other Nautilus complication especially its closest sibling, the 5712 and of course its big brother, the 5980. In fact, it was considered an entry level Nautilus for those that probably cannot afford a more expensive Nautilus. But something happened along the way and the table turned and this timepiece got the respect that it finally deserves.

In the course of the last 10 years, the 5711 has stayed with me through thick and thin, but due to its perceived fragile thin case, I seldom wear the said timepiece. Getting more wrist time are my Rolex sport watches because of its sturdy built and practical complication. But strapping a 5711 did give me a sense of awe and excitement knowing fully well that I am wearing a timepiece with an incredible dial and a great provenance. I will also be honest to admit that wearing my 2012 Nautilus that has appreciated many price folds have continued to provide a sense of satisfaction knowing that yes I made the right decision in buying this timepiece.

Luckily I have put my kid’s name in this timepiece as I look after it for his generation. :)

Hope you enjoy the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts