WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that aficionados of the brand all have their own reasons for owning IWC. What are the reasons you decided to buy this brand? Is it because you wanted a less "popularly known" brand, or did you buy based on the design, or maybe based on a specific feature or for a technical reason? I am just curious. To me, I am interested because they seem like a durable brand and one which is well crafted and less well known than some. So I guess I am attracted to it for a mix of reasons. What about you?

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Superior fit and finish, accuracy and customer service (which is truly exceptional). Great history. Excellent timepieces in a wide range of styles.

Here is my one and only IWC:

I bought this particular piece for it's classic styling and the brand's exceptional reputation. It didn't hurt that I found it at a killer price! By the way, this watch has a caribou leather strap that's one of the most comfortable I've ever owned.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Where to begin. IMHO, IWC represents a long tradition of fine watchmaking craftsmanship combined with an understated design elegance that is a strong attraction to me. The company values is heritage and is careful to not stray too far from its roots going back to 1868. PW's were the beginning, the Portuguese line evolved from the PW and is a mainstay of the line although the Pilots watches also have their own history and importance to the brand.

Many innovations came out of IWC...the Pellaton winding system and the Perpetual Calendar that is entirely operated with the crown.

In the end, I fall in love with the look of a watch on my wrist. I also am enchanted with the rich history and tradition of IWC for fine watchmaking and design.

Every person will have different reasons and none are right or wrong. I will continue to collect IWC's exclusively. I tried a well know brand but found it design too busy and distracting. I gave it to my son for his birthday.

Good luck to all and I hope we find more IWC enthusiasts here in the future.

Bill

·
Banned
90 Posts
Addendum to my comments above. IWC is very customer oriented. They treat their customers with great care and support collectors at every turn. The customer service is unequalled. In Europe, IWC is a major luxury brand with a very high reputation. Other well known brands in the USA are eclipsed by IWC on their side of the pond.

Bill

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Superior fit and finish, accuracy and customer service (which is truly exceptional). Great history. Excellent timepieces in a wide range of styles.

Here is my one and only IWC:

I bought this particular piece for it's classic styling and the brand's exceptional reputation. It didn't hurt that I found it at a killer price! By the way, this watch has a caribou leather strap that's one of the most comfortable I've ever owned.
That is a very nice model; congratulations on a nice find.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where to begin. IMHO, IWC represents a long tradition of fine watchmaking craftsmanship combined with an understated design elegance that is a strong attraction to me. The company values is heritage and is careful to not stray too far from its roots going back to 1868. PW's were the beginning, the Portuguese line evolved from the PW and is a mainstay of the line although the Pilots watches also have their own history and importance to the brand.

Many innovations came out of IWC...the Pellaton winding system and the Perpetual Calendar that is entirely operated with the crown.

In the end, I fall in love with the look of a watch on my wrist. I also am enchanted with the rich history and tradition of IWC for fine watchmaking and design.

Every person will have different reasons and none are right or wrong. I will continue to collect IWC's exclusively. I tried a well know brand but found it design too busy and distracting. I gave it to my son for his birthday.

Good luck to all and I hope we find more IWC enthusiasts here in the future.

Bill
I agree with you, IWC is a brand which does many things quite well. Since I have yet to buy one, I haven't experienced their customer service yet, but I am sure it is very good. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!
PS: I am still looking at the Ingeniuer. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why not may be the question, I have a tough time finding reasons NOT to buy IWC.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I agree. They aren't cheap, but nothing worth something that'll last is usually...

I see IWC as a good value. They're not in expensive by any stretch, but when you compare them to the comparable brands, and compare what you're getting to what you could get in another watch of the same prestige, quality & build they are a good value IMO. Plus, it's not something every Tom, Dick & Harry will recognize. For the most part, only a true WIS is going to know what an IWC is or how special a company they are.

Plus, I look at it as how much will this watch cost me to own for 50 years, and what's it worth to be able to pass down to my son when I can no longer read a watch (hopefully a very, very long time!)... I view most pieces of my watch collection as an heirloom to pass down eventually. Nothing would thrill me more than to someday have one of my grandchildren, or great grandchildren wearing or at least owning & appreciating one of my watches...

·
Banned
90 Posts
Value and Quality in the IWC PPC

IWC's Portuguese Perpetual Calendar, although relatively expensive, is a bargain compared to some other luxury brand Annual or Perpetual Calendars. It has real value for the money and is one of my prized IWC's.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
There he goes.. Torturing us with more pictures of that fantastic watch..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Man, I could look at that watch all day Bill.... :drool: And if I owned it I'd probably lose my job because instead of working I'd be looking at it all day! :wink: :scared:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Nothing would thrill me more than to someday have one of my grandchildren, or great grandchildren wearing or at least owning & appreciating one of my watches...

I own and wear my granddad's 1946 solid gold Concord tank.

I agree whole-heartedly

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wbarker: I have always admired the way that dial is so clearly spaced out, it is very nice. Perhaps a little large for me, but very legible and nice to read. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, it certainly is one of the easier to read perpetuals.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
May be so timefinder

No more expensive than Rolex on some of their models. Of course the grande complications are another story. ;)

Love my Portugues but , not sure I agree the engine stiff pricing is justified...I could be wrong here yet, no sure I will compare with my Rolies :cool1:

Pic by izquerdo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts