WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the last year I have become addicted to looking at and buying watch's and straps, I currently have 3 watches, and 2 custom straps, and a buckle on order.
I imagine some posting to these forums have the same vice.
And by now I could have bought a second car with the money I have spent on watches, straps, and buckles.

For 3 decades I wore a cheap watch until it failed, then I replaced it.
Then suddenly I decided that I wanted a really nice dress watch, that was like a year ago, and suddenly I am wearing different watches everyday and sometimes changing them even during the day only if it's for just myself. I also purchased a case that holds 10 watches, and I signed up to this watch forum.

I mostly own Lumtecs but I am thinking of expanding to Stolas too.

Any reason you think it happens to us?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I believe that watches are such personal and expressive items they're easy to bond with. For me I can't afford multiple cars or homes. Gun laws in NYC are too strict to amass much of a collection. Even though like you I have spent a small fortune on watches there are levels for everyone to paticipate. Also some really great guys on the forum. Welcome to the addiction. Remember one is too many and a thousand never enough (lol)

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Within the last year I have become addicted to looking at and buying watch's and straps, I currently have 3 watches, and 2 custom straps, and a buckle on order.
Welcome to the madness of this hobsession. What you currently own is what some of us go through in a month or so. :blink::laugh:

Another candidate for "Understatement of the Year". :lol:

And by now I could have bought a second car with the money I have spent on watches, straps, and buckles.
Allow me to put this in perspective. By now, I could have bought a 28' Henriques sport fisherman and my own private residence on the water complete with docking facilities with the money I've spent. :scared::scared::scared: (and I'm small potatoes compared to some here)

Then suddenly I decided that I wanted a really nice dress watch, that was like a year ago, and suddenly I am wearing different watches everyday and sometimes changing them even during the day only if it's for just myself.
Pretty much standard behavior. It'll get worse - you'll start going double barrel (one on each wrist) around the house. Your wife will think you've gone cuckoo.

I also purchased a case that holds 10 watches, and I signed up to this watch forum.
According to my math, you still have 7 to go. Luke, it is your destiny.

I mostly own Lumtecs but I am thinking of expanding to Stolas too.
.... and then Dievas, and Red Sea, plus....

Any reason you think it happens to us?
Lotsa reasons.

- Storage is cheap and takes up hardly any room.
- It's one of the few acceptable forms of man jewelry.
- You can keep a new watch on the sly. (try that with a new vintage muscle car)
- There's resale value with relatively easy turnover & shipping.
- There's lots of different styles to suit any personality.
- Watches are a combination of art & machinery, finely tuned to high performance.

Watches are more of a mature hobby than other things you could be doing. Sell it to your wife by saying you could be chasing skirts in a dive bar or drag racing. This hobby will keep you home on the computer where she can find you easily when it's time to get cracking on the honey-do list. :wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's one of the few acceptable forms of man jewelry.
True I don't have any rings that I wear, although I have a couple.

Another interesting point brought out to me by a watch collector I met by accident when I complemented his watch, he told me men look at other men's watch's, and we don't seem to care about anything else they are wearing like that. I have to agree, I have started check out other men's watches cheap or expensive, and I have begun to look at the larger "boyfriend" type watches women are wearing.
I don't bother looking at the tiny ones women wear.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
3 lumtecs and a couple straps wouldn't be much of a car ... In the grand scheme of "watch collectors" people like you and I are small fish

There are plenty of people on here that have supercar or house kind of money in watches!

Alas, I am not one of those.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 lumtecs and a couple straps wouldn't be much of a car ... In the grand scheme of "watch collectors" people like you and I are small fish

There are plenty of people on here that have supercar or house kind of money in watches!

Alas, I am not one of those.
Hey I am only a year into this, cut me some slack, and when all my Lumtecs are in the family it will be 7 in total, not three.
And my custom made exotic straps for all these have been upwards of $200.00, Polished Stingray, Stitch-less custom Crocs, Shark, Metta Catherina leather and so on, adds ups fast.

I am not a multimillionaire like some guys, that can afford everything they want or see, so yes comparatively I am a small fish, it's kind of relative to your annual income of which the percentage I spent on this habit is quite high, and the car I refer to would be a basic second hand one.:001_smile:

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts

For 3 decades I wore a cheap watch until it failed, then I replaced it.
Then suddenly I decided that I wanted a really nice dress watch, that was like a year ago, and suddenly I am wearing different watches everyday and sometimes changing them even during the day only if it's for just myself. I also purchased a case that holds 10 watches, and I signed up to this watch forum.
Yeah. Just wait, it only gets worse.
I used to have one inexpensive dress watch. Now I have 14 watches, at least 10 extra straps, and just got my second watch case for my birthday yesterday. (and that one is almost half full already)
Also have at least 4 more watches on the "to buy" list.
The virus has taken hold. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wait until you get bit by the vintage bug and you're paying for SERVICE what you're paying for a watch now ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Caught the bug too. Bought 3 Lum tecs in about two months. OT went away so likes like i will be slowing down a bit. (mabey....:001_tt2:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have always loved the aesthetics of watches, and I have worn them since I can remember. However, it's only in the past few years that I have actually been able to afford some of "approaching middle- to higher-end" models I like.

I've gone through four pretty organic and probably not-too-unique watch acquisition phases thus far, using brands (non-judgmentally) and movements as guideposts:
1) Up to and through College: got cheaper-priced watches that I thought looked cool (Guess, Fossil)...lost or broke them
2) Post-college: got quartz watches with some specifications (such as sapphire crystals, Swiss movements) that look cool (Swiss Army, Certina, Pirelli)...sold them
3) Late 20s: Got "lower-end" (lower-end by price) mechanical watches that look cool (Victorinox, Seiko, Glycine, even an homage I'm not too proud of, and so on)...sold them
4) Currently have "lower- to lower-middle class" mechanical watches that look cool (Sinn, Muhle Glashutte, Lum-Tec). I am very comfortable in (and can afford!) this stage and could see myself staying here for a while...

According to my "progression", my next steps are:
5) Middle-age?: Middle- to upper-middle class mechanical pieces such as those from Omega/Breitling/Nomos/PAM etc. that look cool, then
6) If I reach the stage where I'm wearing a Lange/Patek/Breguet, then that surely means one of three things have happened to me: i) Won the lotto; ii) Got a crazily lucrative job promotion; or iii) Divorced, as there's just no way I could justify this stage to my wife unless i or ii happen :lol:

Ultimately, no matter which stage I'm at or will be at...the watches gotta look cool :thumbup1:

·
Registered
805 Posts
jpv--if iii (number 3) happens, that being getting divorced you might discover your available funds will be cut in half and therefore it may be back to k-mart quartz watches.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good point, pratt: I'll stay married and hope for the lotto train to come in...:lol:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Welcome to the madness of this hobsession. What you currently own is what some of us go through in a month or so. :blink::laugh:

Watches are more of a mature hobby than other things you could be doing. Sell it to your wife by saying you could be chasing skirts in a dive bar or drag racing. This hobby will keep you home on the computer where she can find you easily when it's time to get cracking on the honey-do list. :wink:

You mean you don't do that....lol:001_smile::001_smile:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I once was in a BMW dealership looking at a brand new 5 series, when the salesman told me the list price all I could think of was "****....for that kind of coin I could buy a pretty nice watch."

True story.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I once was in a BMW dealership looking at a brand new 5 series, when the salesman told me the list price all I could think of was "****....for that kind of coin I could buy a pretty nice watch."

True story.
Having seen some of your collection, I am not sure a BMW 5 would get you there. :T

1 - 20 of 40 Posts