WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As stated, let's see pics of the Accutron(s) you purchased or were given while Accutrons were still being sold. Be interesting to see who has been into Accutrons from their heyday. There was a long hiatus between the purchase of my 218 in 1973 and my wife's 230 in 1974 and then getting back into Accutrons as a collection last Spring. Didn't get any during the '60s as I was a starving college student and newly employed teacher with a yearly salary of $5,200! Over the past several years, our original Accutrons only had a battery in them occasionally. Their accuracy had deteriorated, never having been serviced. Mine only required cleaning, lube and regulation. My wife's required 2 new parts. Don't think it was ever right from new. Both are now serviced and ready for use. And, since learning more about them, I can regulate each to achieve great accuracy.

Mine purchased new in 1973. On it's third band with original buckle. Price tag and case original:

My wife's purchased new in 1974. Third band, original box. Price new $150. Oh wait, the box is empty because her watch is on it's way across the Atlantic from being serviced in Bulgaria - will update when it arrives. Have another just like it except it has black diamond dial.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Great pictures guys !!!! Unfortunately I didn't appear until 1976 lol :001_tt2:
I was just wondering mainly due to the price tag on Oliver's watch, in 1973 a Rolex Daytona was $386 dollars. That same watch in today's money will fetch $50,000.
With the heritage surrounding these wonderful watches I'm amazed that this brand fell so far behind.

Anyway I'm going of track here, great watches and I look forward to seeing more posts !

Jake :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great pictures guys !!!! Unfortunately I didn't appear until 1976 lol :001_tt2: Jake :thumbup:
You are a mere child! :biggrin:

I was just wondering mainly due to the price tag on Oliver's watch, in 1973 a Rolex Daytona was $386 dollars. That same watch in today's money will fetch $50,000.
With the heritage surrounding these wonderful watches I'm amazed that this brand fell so far behind.
Jake :thumbup:
Yes, that is interesting. Some of the diff is perceived value instead of real value. I do hope there will be an upturn in Accutron value in the future.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I wanted an Accutron but couldn't afford one. In 1974 I bought this 1970 218 as insurance salvage, it had been stolen and recovered, for $75 though I still couldn't afford it.
I wore it continuously until it quit in 1992 and I couldn't find anyone to repair it. My situation had improved by then so I bought a Rolex. In 2007 I found someone to repair it and it still gets worn one or two days per month.
I won't get into the memories it has seen.
As to the value of Rolexes vs Accutrons, I think a lot of it is the genius of advertising plus, of course, the fact that Rolexes are still current.
I don't think my Accutrons are ever going to be worth anything. They are kinda like 60's and 70's muscle cars, the buyers are guys who grew up with them and, when that generation is gone, there will be no interest.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wanted an Accutron but couldn't afford one. In 1974 I bought this 1970 218 as insurance salvage, it had been stolen and recovered, for $75 though I still couldn't afford it.
I wore it continuously until it quit in 1992 and I couldn't find anyone to repair it. My situation had improved by then so I bought a Rolex. In 2007 I found someone to repair it and it still gets worn one or two days per month.
Nice 218, Skypilot! That's close enough to buying when new. As for the affordability part back then, I really couldn't either. Had just come off a relationship that went South and decided to reward myself. Right after I bought it, I met someone I will spend the rest of my life with.

Some models of Accutrons - excluding solid gold ones - have increased in value a few times over what they cost when new because of the desirability of a particular case style, etc. My close friend who has 7 Accutrons, 5 acquired in the past couple years, also has 2 Rolex watches. One bottom end SS model he bought new years ago and 1 he was given a few years ago. While I appreciate them as a mechanical timepiece, their cost new as well as old is not justifiable to me. Rolex has put out some poor movements over the years. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes but I don't need the bling to separate me from the masses. Of course, if someone gave me one I would take it! :lol: To me, the Accutron is an example of "Modern Day" engineering applied to "Old School" technology. That's why I like them so much. They are a special niche of timekeeping devices.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks. One other Spaceview also has a Duchess Bracelet.
Sorry, IMHO, that band is not a good match for that style Space View case. Of course, that's just the opinion of an 84 1/2 year old curmudgeon... I think I have my 1977 stainless Mk5 (three positions on the crown, set, stop & normal) some where but actually haven't seen it in a while. Perhaps one of my kids picked it up as an early estate distribution gift? :confused1:

If I remember correctly, it had a 2192 movement in a pillow case...

PS: I ain't going anywhere, at least for a few years yet (for the benefit of a couple of my so called loyal offspring!)... :001_tongue:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sorry, IMHO, that band is not a good match for that style Space View case. Of course, that's just the opinion of an 84 1/2 year old curmudgeon... I think I have my 1977 stainless Mk5 (three positions on the crown, set, stop & normal) some where but actually haven't seen it in a while. Perhaps one of my kids picked it up as an early estate distribution gift? :confused1:

If I remember correctly, it had a 2192 movement in a pillow case...

PS: I ain't going anywhere, at least for a few years yet (for the benefit of a couple of my so called loyal offspring!)... :001_tongue:
"A difference of opinions is what makes horse racing and missionaries"
Will Rogers

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was just a kid when my dad bought this 218. I remember it humming away on the counter at night when I was a youngster. He wore it for many years then put it in a drawer. I asked about it as my watch habit started. He pulled it out of the drawer and gave it to me. I had it serviced, replaced his 16mm spidel with an 11/16 white gold mesh. It is one of my favorites. So, although I did not buy it, it has never left the family. Hope that counts!

on the wrist 013.jpg

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was just a kid when my dad bought this 218. I remember it humming away on the counter at night when I was a youngster. He wore it for many years then put it in a drawer. I asked about it as my watch habit started. He pulled it out of the drawer and gave it to me. I had it serviced, replaced his 16mm spidel with an 11/16 white gold mesh. It is one of my favorites. So, although I did not buy it, it has never left the family. Hope that counts!

View attachment 29528
Great story and, yes, it sure does count! Like horse shoes - close enough. :biggrin: Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
2,685 Posts
I didn't buy this Swiss made 18kt Solid Gold Accutron 214 originally in 1965 but it is still brand new and unworn since it was found in a Swiss watchmakers shop that had passed away, I guess you could call me the original owner if it has never been worn since new, It is dated M5 or 1965 and even has the original hang tag and box....

I have to say i couldn't have bought it back in 1965 because i was only 3 years old !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts