WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual wind or automatic? And why?

For me, I would have to say ether. A nice mechanical movement is a nice mechanical movement. Although manual winds can take a bit more "beating" than an auto and has that sole look. But I love the look of a nice rotor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Which Movement?

I have to say I prefer automatic..Wind it up,hack set with time.gov,stick it on the winder & we're good to go for at least a week before needing a re-set due to fast/slow running movement(I don't like my watches to be more than 30 secs.off one way or the other)...

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is hard to say which I prefer. They both have their place and there are advantages with both.

Automatics are very practical. But manuals, particularly 8 day, can be equally practical, given that re-setting will be required in any case, from time to time.

The great thing about most manuals with the average 40 hours RDM, is that they give you more contact with the watch . The regular winding actually keeps you in touch with the workings of the watch and serves to remind you of the magnificence of what you have.

Reactions: timesofplenty

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
For practicality it's my autos- I'm a tritium gas and Super-Luminova addict.
For aesthetics, however, I go for my manual-winders. All my manuals are from before the mid-60s.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
A manual wind is thinner and easier to tuck under a cuff. However, vintage in-house automatics are generally more valuable.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Automatic

I like the idea that when I move, I make the watch go. More symbiotic connection to the watch than winding.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, looks like a good mix. I think automatics got a stupid reputation as "not needing batteries" and are bought as a convenience thing from new watch buyers. And when they punch holes in the walls and beat the crap out of them and it craps out they say they are junk. I like automatics because they are more complex but so can manual winds

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I wear a different watch every day, so I have to wind and set whatever watch I put on. So, to me, there's not a big difference.

OTOH, I appreciate the technology of a nice automatic, and the history of, for example, the Elgin 607/618 Bumpers or the 760/761 Durabalance automatics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts