WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen a bunch of reissues in the last few years. Longines had their Heritage series.

Don't forget the Legend diver, Greenlander, and the Silver Arrow too.

Omega puts out the Museum collection consisting of 8 different watches, including the Cosmic 1951, Racend Timer 1949, Centenary 1948, and Tonneau Renversée 1952 below.

GP has several throw back models, including the 1945 and 1966 series.

VC has the 1955 and 1921 Historiques too.

There's obviously a market for the vintage look but with modern twists. Plenty of other manufacturers do it like IWC. Even the car companies (Ford Mustang & Thunderbird, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger, etc) are capitalizing on it. What watch would you like to see remade? Which watch brand will be the next to jump on the reissue bandwagon? Do you think Rolex will make a larger & more modern adaptation of the bubbleback? How about Omega doing another pie pan?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not being a WIS, I can't answer your question.

But, being a CIS, I sure can appreciate the beauty of those watches you posted!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Breitling have some out too?

I don't know about this year but aside from a vintage I sure like those Longines "re-issue" ...what is it really? It's not exactly a re-issue...anyhow if I don't find a vintage the Longines will be on my list.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
it would seem every Breitling is a re-issue.

Rolex don't so much re-issue as don't change

I have to admit that everytime I see the American 21 I just about fall over.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
cffrost said:
Re-issue = lack of creativity.
Well, not always. Some people like vintage styling and grandads old omega but....it's vintage, acts like it's vintage, maybe that person wants that look but something that's new.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Re-issue = lack of creativity.
I happen to like the subtle vintage style...classic or classy maybe a better word. Since finding a vintage and getting good one is difficult, it only makes sense to make new ones avaiable again and they must be making them money or they wouldn't be doing it.

Think Mustang, Camero, Challenger...although not identical the retro appeal with all the modern convieniences...like a microwave oven.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
bczolone said:
I happen to like the subtle vintage style...classic or classy maybe a better word. Since finding a vintage and getting good one is difficult, it only makes sense to make new ones avaiable again and they must be making them money or they wouldn't be doing it.

Think Mustang, Camero, Challenger...although not identical the retro appeal with all the modern convieniences...like a microwave oven.
The car reference is perfect. Although the charger is dumb :(.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
BRING BACK THE AMC GREMLIN!!!!!!!:w00t:.............
.....no?
ok, never mind!

I'd like to see a re-issue of the Universal Geneve Tri-Compax chronograph- if it hasn't been done yet.

Reactions: vinners77

·
Registered
583 Posts
One nice thing about re-issues is that it allows for vintage style in slightly larger versions.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Since finding a vintage and getting good one is difficult, it only makes sense to make new ones avaiable again and they must be making them money or they wouldn't be doing
Completely agree.
The business of manufacturing watches is FOR PROFIT. Seems obvious that the companies producing "re-issues" feel there is a buck to be made doing so.
I am all for it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I love the retro look! I love the old designs but in truth it's hard to find really good ones from the past, that the watch companies realize that and make modern versions that incorporate the best of the present date with the style of a time gone by it great. Most are the perfect watch to wear both formal and casual.
I fell in love with two recently from Tissot and Rotary and they're beautiful.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Glashutte Original has their Senator Sixties line:

And have since introduced the Seventies Panoramadatum:

Reactions: paul55

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
One nice thing about re-issues is that it allows for vintage style in slightly larger versions.
Completely agree. I just canot wear any watch under 40mm, and almost every vintage is in this bucket. Many reissues are 40-41mm, so those will work.

As to which I'd like to see re-issued, I'd like to see the re-issues come out re-issuing the original prices, not todays way-to-much prices. But I'm probably hoping for too much there... :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts