WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're someone who Posts authoritative information here about Rolex watches (and thank you for that), what is the source of that information? I know that Rolex has a reputation for being rather close to the vest with details. So when I see calibre information listed, model numbers, years, shock resistance sources, serial numbers, metals used, et cetera, I'd be very interested in knowing where that comes from ~ especially from most certain sources.

Unfortunately, it can be really hard to separate fact from fancy. Not necessarily in this Forum, but in others, it's common to see "facts" like the above unhesitatingly Posted, only to be followed by an equally persuasive counter-position right after it. So it would be really helpful to me if fact-bases for statements could be shared.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
If you're someone who Posts authoritative information here about Rolex watches (and thank you for that), what is the source of that information? I know that Rolex has a reputation for being rather close to the vest with details. So when I see caliber information listed, model numbers, years, shock resistance sources, serial numbers, metals used, et cetera, I'd be very interested in knowing where that comes from ~ especially from most certain sources.

Unfortunately, it can be really hard to separate fact from fancy. Not necessarily in this Forum, but in others, it's common to see "facts" like the above unhesitatingly Posted, only to be followed by an equally persuasive counter-position right after it. So it would be really helpful to me if fact-bases for statements could be shared.

Thanks!
Some info comes from books. Most information comes from forums, handling watches, looking at dials for hours, talking to other collectors and spending inordinate amounts of time on the various forums for Rolex.

Since Rolex is a privately owned company and has always been that way information is very hard to find and worse to back up with facts.

So some have done a lot of digging only to share those findings with others. Hannes and his Oysterworld web site has a great serial number data base. That's one example of hard facts for Rolex. doubleredseadwellers.com is another great info for SDs, COMEX and RSD/DRSD thanks to Ed Delgado's hard work.

First you know nothing or very little. You study, memorize and learn only to find that the more you learn the less sure you are about anything to do with Rolex. LOL =) maverick

·
Registered
416 Posts
There are a few books and websites you can get information from,

Books
Rolex Wristwatches, James Dowling
The Rolex Report John E Brozek

Websites
http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/
http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm

I think most people find the above sources credible, as well as forums like this one. But you are right, occasionally people are mis-informed or mistaken in some way. Rolex is a brand which earns a great deal of loyalty and many people who have followed the brand have a great deal of knowledge about it, so it is always nice to ask. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Because of my journalist credentials, I do have relationships with the right folks at Rolex to get information on various Rolex related topics. :001_smile:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James Bond Rolex Watches ...

Interesting, John. Now I've got to wonder if they're willing to talk to some-body, why the OEM doesn't "officially" identify the two or more Rolex wristwatches that appeared in Dr. No, Licence to Kill, et cetera.

You know-- the most important questions in horology! ;)

Then again, as long as the discussion is limited to "trust me, I have an inside source" and "my cousin Bob worked on production and told me for sure," debate can rage on anew, heating up every few years when a new James Bond film goes into production.

As far as the sources cited in response to my question here, I share your opinion on most of them: Really great resources!

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dell,

Mav is spot on. In addition to the printed word, much of what we accept as fact comes from collectors and enthusiasts spending a lot of time in research and comparing notes.

I think also this is a "work in progress" as new information comes to light. In a real sense we are all students of the brand.:thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Interesting, John. Now I've got to wonder if they're willing to talk to some-body, why the OEM doesn't "officially" identify the two or more Rolex wristwatches that appeared in Dr. No, Licence to Kill, et cetera.

You know-- the most important questions in horology! ;)

Rolex doesn't "officially" acknowledge watches which appeard in DR. NO, GOLDFINGER, and several other Bond movies simply because they weren't officially involved with their watches appearing in those movies. Omega pays for their watches to appear in Bond movies, but Rolex never did.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Rolex doesn't "officially" acknowledge watches which appeard in DR. NO, GOLDFINGER, and several other Bond movies simply because they weren't officially involved with their watches appearing in those movies. Omega pays for their watches to appear in Bond movies, but Rolex never did.
OK, how about finding out when or if Rolex plans to stop production of the 50th Anniversary Submariner? Getting authoritative word would be useful and it's a current issue.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
OK, how about finding out when or if Rolex plans to stop production of the 50th Anniversary Submariner? Getting authoritative word would be useful and it's a current issue.

LOL! Certainly I have some good contacts for information at Rolex, and I can confirm that the LV is still a current production model. But what makes you think that Rolex is going to tell anyone ahead of time when they will stop production of the LV? Rolex is quite secretive....It would be easier finding out who killed JFK. :lol:

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
This is almost a continual question. It is in their catalog so it is a regular production model.

I agree Mike, I don't think you ever stop learning in this hobby. :thumbup: =) maverick

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
There are a few books and websites you can get information from,

Books
Rolex Wristwatches, James Dowling
The Rolex Report John E Brozek

Websites
http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/
http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm

I think most people find the above sources credible, as well as forums like this one. But you are right, occasionally people are mis-informed or mistaken in some way. Rolex is a brand which earns a great deal of loyalty and many people who have followed the brand have a great deal of knowledge about it, so it is always nice to ask. Best of luck.
There are mistakes in Borzak's book which I seldom look at any more. The Unauthorized History of Rolex, is a great book, being quite a job to read and reference from but is one of the best.

I use Vintage Rolex Sports Models by Skeet and Ural the most, very easy to find things in that book. I wish real watches had been used instead of computer generated ones, though. =) maverick

·
Registered
416 Posts
LOL! Certainly I have some good contacts for information at Rolex, and I can confirm that the LV is still a current production model. But what makes you think that Rolex is going to tell anyone ahead of time when they will stop production of the LV? Rolex is quite secretive....It would be easier finding out who killed JFK. :lol:
I am happy to find out it looks like they will continue the LV for at least a little bit--I like it and hope it will still be available when the money comes up. :001_smile:

·
Registered
416 Posts
There are mistakes in Borzak's book which I seldom look at any more. The Unauthorized History of Rolex, is a great book, being quite a job to read and reference from but is one of the best.

I use Vintage Rolex Sports Models by Skeet and Ural the most, very easy to find things in that book. I wish real watches had been used instead of computer generated ones, though. =) maverick
Thanks for correcting me--I had heard this before about Borzak's book but forgot it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I heard one story that when shooting the Bond movie they needed a watch and someone took theirs off and gave it to the actor playing bond for filming purposes. I guess that would be Sean Connery or Roger Moore?

I have no idea if it is true but it makes a good story and has some logic to it. :001_rolleyes: =) maverick

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
I heard one story that when shooting the Bond movie they needed a watch and someone took theirs off and gave it to the actor playing bond for filming purposes. I guess that would be Sean Connery or Roger Moore?

I have no idea if it is true but it makes a good story and has some logic to it. :001_rolleyes: =) maverick
According the version of the legend I heard, it was either the director Guy Hamilton or producer Albert Broccoli that took their own Submariner off their wrist and gave it to Sean Connery to wear.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
According the version of the legend I heard, it was either the director Guy Hamilton or producer Albert Broccoli that took their own Submariner off their wrist and gave it to Sean Connery to wear.
Is he still telling that story? Geesh. You give someone a watch, and they take credit for it! :001_tt2: :001_rolleyes: :001_tt2:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I read somewhere that it was Mr Broccoli who gave Connery the Sub off his wrist, maybe true, maybe not!

Not strictly correct but fun anyway!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
James Bond: The Legacy

The only reference I've seen to Cubby Broccoli providing his own personal watch to the Dr. No production is in a coffee table book by the name of James Bond: The Legacy (in the photo below, it's on the top shelf, between the orange-spine 007 movie poster book, and the green-spine Rolex book. What's curious to me is that it's not referenced where I'd expect such a significant event (at least insofar as I'm concerned!) to be ~ in Mr. Broccoli's own autobiography, When the Snow Melts.

Like John, I've also heard the claims that it was actually the director of Dr. No, Terence Young, who provided his watch to the production. Which leads me back to the genesis of this Thread. All claims authoritatively made, sans documentation. Fact mixed seemlessly w/ speculation. Again, not that I don't deeply value what is so freely shared in these Forums (I do!); it's just that if something more is available, I'd like to know how to raise the bar.

Last but not least-- Merry Christmas, Watch Talk Forum contributors!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts