WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm here essentially counting the days until I get my new 300m-1XL in the mail. Looking at the pics on the site.

Where do all the prototypes made months before mass production end up? Guys at lum-tec get them? Do they go on display?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to personally visit the LUM-TEC facility in OH, but according to this post by John documenting his visit to LUM-TEC, case and dial prototypes are displayed in a display case in their seating area/showroom.

PS. I'm still a pretty big fan of the diver prototype case on the far right center with what looks like an internal rotating bezel and the off-center crown! I forget which thread had the renderings of that prototype, but it was several years ago and I can't remember why that project stalled out/got scraped. :sad:

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
PS. I'm still a pretty big fan of the diver prototype case on the far right center with what looks like an internal rotating bezel and the off-center crown! I forget which thread had the renderings of that prototype, but it was several years ago and I can't remember why that project stalled out/got scraped. :sad:
We still have that one on the backburner btu we have made several variations of it and have yet to be happy with how it came out. Still needs work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the prototypes even numbered ?

I though I read on here LT doesn't number them in the order produced, watches are numbered randomly as they are completed.

But thats not to say first numbers aren't kept in house.

That being said does LT let you request the #?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are the prototypes even numbered ?
Highly doubt it. I'd assume only production pieces are given serial numbers.

I though I read on here LT doesn't number them in the order produced, watches are numbered randomly as they are completed.
Sort of. They don't always ship the watches out in numerical order and not all the watches from every series is assembled at once.

But thats not to say first numbers aren't kept in house.
Chris generally keeps all the #1's. I think the few exceptions are the collaboration pieces LUM-TEC has done with various forums including the WTF edition M61 and M62.

That being said does LT let you request the #?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My mistake then. I didn't recognized the watch ... sorry :wink:
No problem, it must be because these weren't discussed all that much on here.
They were delayed quite a bit if I remember correctly. It was a limited series of 100 and were sold out pretty quick because of that.

It sure would be nice if LT could do another model with a mechanical chrono...

·
Registered
336 Posts
@ 7schulz

Wolf, I can't believe you don't know every single Lum-Tec ever produced, what is wrong with you
I think a rare moment of weakness :T

@ Clubbtraxx

A new mechanicle chrono ?
Maybe something with a Sellita 500, a hand-wound model, or a ETA 7750 to 7754
I think that would be really nice. But ... with another case then the F1's

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
LT has mentioned numerous times in the past that they don't want to make another model using the 7750 or its Sellita equivalent. They are however interested in a Chrono version of the Miyota 9015 when that comes to pass.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That can be ... but there are more ways to make a chrono.
If Chris won't use the 7750 (I always thought LT had some 7750 laying around, laying on a shelf waiting to be used) or the SW 500,
then a Seagull ST19, Soprod, Concepto, Seiko or another movement .. could be an option.
That is until Miyota comes with a Chrono version of the 9015, or maybe a hand-wound version.
There are so many ways that lead to Rome, without the use of a Quartz movement.

Maybe it's even an option to look at new Old stock Movements. such as a 'Wehrmachtskaliber'
A German hand-wound movement that was produced Pre WOII, until the 1960's, Or maybe
some old ETA's ?

What I'm trying to say; if one way is cutoff, others could presents itself. :wink:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
LT has mentioned numerous times in the past that they don't want to make another model using the 7750 or its Sellita equivalent. They are however interested in a Chrono version of the Miyota 9015 when that comes to pass.
Not sure if it is a matter of want, or a matter of can...
It's odd but I see many smaller brands still producing watches with ETA movements, just like they did before...
Makes me wonder why LT can't still get them in sufficient quantities?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.