WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, guys!

i have been thinking about get a new watch. I used to own a casio g-shcok which has been worn out.
my requirement is simple: it has to be very accurate. any suggestion? RC watch doesn't function well. my place has poor signals. btw I don't mind trying new brands. All i can find right now is AtomTime, they said they can the make the world's most accurate watches. Where can i get more info about this company? or do you guys know any other brand?

Thx a lot!

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
Hello and welcome to WatchTalkForums (WTF)!
You're not saying anything about your budget, and that kinda hinders us on recommendations. Since we are to rule out radio receiver watches (a.k.a. "atomic"), I would say look at the Bulova Precisionist models.

I've had mine from the very beginning (Oct. 2010) and it's running about +14 seconds a year. (I know it was hyped up to be +/- 10 seconds, but I'm talking reality and not advertising B.S.). There is also the Seiko's Ananta and Grand Seiko, also supposedly +/- 10 secs./yr but they are a bit expensive. The prices on the Precisionist have come down a lot since their introduction. Many can be found for well under $200.

As for AtomTime, don't hold your breath waiting. WTF received an announcement from them the other day. They're still looking for $50k start-up funding. By the look of things, they don't even have a prototype wrist watch yet.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
As for AtomTime, don't hold your breath waiting. WTF received an announcement from them the other day. They're still looking for $50k start-up funding. By the look of things, they don't even have a prototype wrist watch yet.
That explains why there are no reviews or long term tests available on those watches. The AtomTime watches (AtomTime Suisse S.A.) synchronize via the Internet and must connect via a mobile devise or computer with the software installed.
I have never been a fan of watches that had to phone home in order to maintain accuracy. I spent two weeks at Judith Landing in Montana with no cell phone, no Internet and one radio station but my Garmin GPS worked. GPS watches could provide accurate time but have a short battery life and reviews are mixed.
Your most expensive option would be to look for a COSC certified quartz chronometer. There aren't many to choose from because manufacturers have found that the general public is seldom willing to pay for a watch that meets the standards when there a many inexpensive quartz movements come very close. The TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Chronometer is one and the Breitling Airwolf Raven is another.
If the price of a chronometer shocks you, CometHunter's suggestion is a good one. My Precisionist is without a doubt, the most accurate watch that I have owned and if something happens, as it often does, I'm not out much.
For more on the Bulova Precisionist, you may enjoy reading this: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/bulova-accutron-forum/57207.htm

·
Registered
515 Posts
I might be stating the obvious, but have you thought about just replacing your worn out G with another one. I mnow that they make claims on being extremely accurate. So if you are already satisfied with casio, I would continue with them.

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
@ SAM2 - My apologies. I never sent condolences on the premature cessation of your duel! :blushing:

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
Roger that, ~tc~!
But since bgrmrs is (supposedly) not getting another GShock, that leads me to think he wants something other than plain quartz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might be stating the obvious, but have you thought about just replacing your worn out G with another one. I mnow that they make claims on being extremely accurate. So if you are already satisfied with casio, I would continue with them.
thx for the advice. i did like my g-shcok. very good quality. but i think i'll pass rc watch from now on. as i mentioned, signals are quite poor in my area. it has been hard on the battery to search signals. thx anyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That explains why there are no reviews or long term tests available on those watches. The AtomTime watches (AtomTime Suisse S.A.) synchronize via the Internet and must connect via a mobile devise or computer with the software installed.
I have never been a fan of watches that had to phone home in order to maintain accuracy. I spent two weeks at Judith Landing in Montana with no cell phone, no Internet and one radio station but my Garmin GPS worked. GPS watches could provide accurate time but have a short battery life and reviews are mixed.
Your most expensive option would be to look for a COSC certified quartz chronometer. There aren't many to choose from because manufacturers have found that the general public is seldom willing to pay for a watch that meets the standards when there a many inexpensive quartz movements come very close. The TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Chronometer is one and the Breitling Airwolf Raven is another.
If the price of a chronometer shocks you, CometHunter's suggestion is a good one. My Precisionist is without a doubt, the most accurate watch that I have owned and if something happens, as it often does, I'm not out much.
For more on the Bulova Precisionist, you may enjoy reading this: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/bulova-accutron-forum/57207.htm
thank you very much for the advice which is really helpful. some other people recommended the Bulova Precisionist to me as well. seem like a good option. i'll take the chronometer and the Precisionist into consideration. again, thx!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had a Heuer (well, TAG Heuer) F1 chrono for a while and that was an accurate watch as-received. I sent it in for service and asked that they check the regulation while they had it, and it was CRAZY accurate when it came back- less than 10 seconds a year fast. (well exceeding C.O.S.C. standards)

Of all the watches I have owned, that one was the most accurate.

Moral: Get a quality, Swiss made (or at east Swiss movement) Quartz and have your AD have it regulated for you, and you should have a watch of exceptional accuracy. Remember this: Send it in annually for a new battery (even though the batteries may last longer), clean, lube and adjust (regulate) and you will be happy.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The most accurate watch in my quiver is a dead Fossil....twice a day it's dead accurate..all the others are a few seconds off. The two questions are unanswered; how much you wanna spend and how accurate you need the watch to be?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
i think 300 pounds to 500. thx guys :)
The most accurate watch in my quiver is a dead Fossil....twice a day it's dead accurate..all the others are a few seconds off. The two questions are unanswered; how much you wanna spend and how accurate you need the watch to be?
One question has been answered. 300 to 500 pounds - he's not talking about the weight of the watch :001_tt2:

·
Banned
55 Posts
I'd recommend a Breitling Superocean steelfish which runs at +2 seconds in a week a while back. And most of all the accuracy depends upon the position you are currently in. You've mentioned that you live in area where signals are not that strong. This watch might help you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.