WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

when should Swiss mechanical watches require service?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GatorMike 
#1 ·
when should Swiss mechanical watches require service?

does service date differ for different movements?

#3 ·
My habit is to keep them in rotation until they start acting up and then send them in.

I've never been one to pay attention to preventative maintenance schedules for modern watches with modern lubricants. This is what I've been doing for forty years, and nothing has been damaged as a result (e.g., broken watch innards). If I have a watch that begins to run fast or slow (both can indicate problems), then I send it off for service, after making sure it hasn't been magnetized, somehow.

Watches are NOT automobiles, so there's not much chance of damaging a transmission or motor (say, your auto's rotor) by wearing it past its manufacturer's suggested maintenance schedule. Just my approach, folks, but it's worked okay for me.

Of course, a lot depends on the value of the watch in question, too. If you're wearing your Patek Philippe repeater perpetual automatic, while playing handball every weekend, you may want to reconsider that rule. :lol:

#10 ·
Agreed. I do have a Rolex Sub that now needs a good cleaning, because it won't hold it's power when wound or worn. AD cleaning includes a new mainspring, so it should be all good after that. Its pricey, but worth it, given the appreciation in value of the timepiece. My wife gave me this over 20 years ago, as a significant birthday present, and it ran strong with daily wear the whole time, until just recently. It has also more than quadrupled in replacement cost, so the price tag of the cleaning is worth it.

#5 ·
I've owned over a 100 watches during my collecting days, and only one of those has needed to be sent in for service. That was a quartz watch with an oiled filled case that the only way to have a new battery put in was to send it to the manufacture. For me if it is running good & keeping good time I don't worry about a set maintenance time frame.

#11 ·
^My Breitling issues is well documented here but to get it serviced, replacement glass (got a couple of bad scratches) and case/bracelet buffing they are looking about £600 ($900) on a watch that I can still get a brand new one equivalent for £1950 so whilst it should look as good as new my eyes have been opened to a lot of micro brands with really interesting design and even more exclusivity and that's why I've held off getting it do. It's a really nice watch with in my opinion the best bracelets for feel and comfort but for £600 I'd rather forget about the repair and buy a new watch that's bang up to date in design and using an updated movement, though it won't be a Breitling. :sad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.