WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was just wondering how old you guys were when you got your first "real" watch; define that as you will, be it something mechanical, "high quality" etc, I think it's more of a personal definition than I can put to paper (or forum, as it were). So, your thoughts?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Got a Texas Instuments red L.E.D. watch before I was a teenager. It would be worth a pretty penny nowadays if I could find it considering it was under $20 back then (maybe $10). My first $1000 dollar watch was a solid 14K gold quartz Movado in my early 30's (?). My first mechanical was my grandfather's Bulova I inherited sometime around then also. I wish I could remember exact dates, but every time I try I come up with something different. Hey, I've been through hundreds of watches so you'll have to let me slide. :001_rolleyes::laugh:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got my first watch at 10 years old :) It was a handwind Ernest Borel by Synchron. Traditional mechanical watches were always the norm for me even back then in the 1980s. I still have it btw.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I got my first watch at 9, and was the same as Dennis I think, a Texas Instruments with red LED display... and a Formula 1 Car besides the display...

Got my first "serious" watch at 13, a Citizen Amazonas which I had until a month ago, and gave as a present to a relative...

And finally, got my first "top quality" watch at 22, when got my first Omega, coincidence got it for my birthday, and it was made in my birth year... still that watch is with me, and humming like new :)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
At ten years old, I received a Timex watch. My first REAL watch would have been the 1955 Bulova tonneau I bought myself when I was 20. Loved that watch but wore it into the ground.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cheap Non-Jeweled Mechanical (Timex) - 5yo
Cheap Quartz (It was LED, remember those?) - 12yo
Quality Quartz LCD (Seiko) - 16yo
Jeweled Mechanical (Two Heirloom Hamilton Pocket Watches) - 18yo
Automatic (Seiko 7S26) - 21yo

By some standards Ive never owned a "real" watch. ie Swiss Automatic.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
1982 - 14 years old. Saw a Pulsar quartz digi/analog with a blue dial that was the coolest looking thing, at a price I could afford by saving up my pocket money and paper route money (well, selling newspapers on the traffic median strip during rush hour, if that can be called a 'route') for a few weeks.
Remember, this was around the time that James Bond was wearing a Seiko digi/analog in "For Your Eyes Only" :D
Although no Rolex, Omega, etc, it was my first 'real' watch.
And yes, I still own it, but don't wear it anymore:

·
Registered
517 Posts
The first watch, which I valued, was given to me by my girlfriend when I was in grade 12. I still have it: Seiko Quartz, 2 tone. Haven't given it any wrist time in several years.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think around 8 years old I received a manual wind Timex. A few years after that a Caravelle. Then the digital age came and I had several LED and early LCD watches. Probably around 19 years old I bought a calculator watch, which I still have. Somewhere between 25 and 30 I started buying better watches. A Seiko kinetic which I still have comes to mind. Around age 40 the "madness" started.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
1977 I got a Timex LCD watch, the first I remember anyway, then in 1985 I got a Seiko Quartz Two tone watch I still have today.

As seen in the lower left:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Around age 40 the "madness" started.
--- Mine only started this year but come on strong! It's now a habit to see what is out there for sale! :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
1977 I got a Timex LCD watch, the first I remember anyway, then in 1985 I got a Seiko Quartz Two tone watch I still have today.

As seen in the lower left:

I have that same Seiko (lower left) but in all gold. It was my dad's. I got it when I was 27 and still my best quality watch.

I think my first watch was a black Star Wars LED. Sometime during my youth my dad gave me a wind up Timex. I wore that for years. I would like to find it. I think it's buried around here somewhere.

My madness is just starting.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Got a SS Rado (looked like an explorer I) for my 16th b-day.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Numerous Casio's growing up.

A humming Accutron when I was 18.

A Citizen Eco Drive when I was 33.

An Omega when I was 36.

A Rolex when I was 37.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I received the Sector in my signature as a gift when I was twelve, I think it sold for about $1600 - $2000 at the time although I have no idea if you could even find the exact model now... I wore the poor thing into the ground... scuffed up (repairable), and used around. Although the Sapphire crystal has yet to get a scratch! :)D). Its a Swiss made Automatic chronograph with a beautiful guilloche blue dial. It currently needs and overhaul but I really should post some pictures of it. This watch is what got me started on watches, but at twelve I could hardly pursue the madness... Now its back with a vengeance!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I think I got my first "real" watch back in 1985. It was a Rolex Date-Just in Stainless with the Oyster bracelet. I bought it at the Low Country Mall in Charleston, SC in a jewelry store.

The wife and I were just looking around, with no intent of buying anything. I think it was priced around $1,100.00 at the time. I used their in-store credit to buy it.

Wish I still had it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recieved my first watch when I was 6, I think. It was a mechanical Timex with the coolest blue dial that would burst into colour in sunlight. I remember falling asleep at night with it pressed to my ear listening to it tick. It was like listening to a tiny little universe going about it's business. I think that's when I fell in love with all things mechanical, especially watches.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It may be a liberal definition of "real," but mine was a Fossil that I found in a bargain bin at a JCPenney or Macy's or something when I was a sophomore or junior in high school. It was kind of cool because you could set the face to blue or green or to alternate between blue and green, but naturally that meant the battery died pretty quickly. It's probably still sitting in my desk in my parents' house. I should go retrieve it if only for sentimental value.

I'm still a closet Fossil fan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts