WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are members here who speak of Movado in terms that are so negative that you'd think that Movados are made in North Korea using counterfeit Chinese movements.

I hate that minimalist design that dominates their line, but that's not the only model they make. Quite a few have normally calibrated dials, some dressy, some sporty.

From what I can tell, Movado has been in business continually since the 19th century, having only changed hands once when Gerry Grinberg acquired the company and formed the Movado Group.

According to my research, Movado has over 100 patents to its name and has won some 200 international awards.

Now, we all know that companies change over time and sometimes marketers try to cash in on brands that have gone defunct and sell junk under those names in certain discount outlets.

However, I can find nothing to support the idea that this is the case with Movado.

Frankly, I haven't even been able to establish what movements they use, except that the watches are Swiss made.

I thought perhaps that the company relied too heavily on quartz movements, but they do produce watches with automatic movements.

I own an ESQ watch that is as beautiful in my eye as any watch I've ever seen. I admit that for a long time I was leery of the brand, but when I saw the Quest chronograph at the price it was selling for, I could not help myself.

It's certainly a very accurate timepiece, as it's currently about five seconds fast and I set it on November 30, 2007. Yes, it is quartz.

So, I'd like to hear something substantive regarding the Movado Group and its stable of watches, positive or negative.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I can't speak for others, but I just don't find them even a little interesting. I'm also not impressed with their "museum" marketing. IMHO, I suppose they concentrate too much on having a highbrow design and possibly not enough on other interesting things (complications, innovative materials, horological significance, or sporting significance). In my mind, they are all about design...... and really just that one design at that.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For me it seems that Movado is a one hit wonder (JMHO) I mean What have they done lately?

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Their museum automatics use ETA 2892 or 2824 movements.(at least the ones that I have seen and owned)
The new LE automatic chronograph is powered by a Valjoux 7750.
The new 800 seies is a sporty design that breaks the Museum minimalist design that many identify with the brand .
They offer much more than the design that so many seem to hate.
And lately I think that they are targeting a slightly different,yet still fashion conscious, clientele.

I have no problem with them except for the price-which IMHO is a bit steep in some cases.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I like some of the 800 series but feel they are overpriced. If they were to sell them closer to ESQ prices I could be tempted by a couple of them. The rest of their line doesn't interest me.

I do like the ESQ Quest that you mentioned...considered getting one myself.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There minamalist apporch to watches has been over done it is like there stuck spinning there wheels, and there other offerings are nothing to write home about I have never been a fan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Movado seems to have nothing to back up their hefty prices. A quartz watch with a tacky and minimal face?

No thanks, I dont want to have to guess the time on my watch.

Movado simply is form over function. I would never buy one, total waste of money.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Honestly, I'll admit I don't know too many specs and stats about individual models, it's more of a personal aversion to the brand as a whole. They just seem overmarketed and overpriced. Also agree with the "museum" objection. Just doesn't suit me, but they're not bad watches per se.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I like Movado and wouldn't mind owning some of their new larger models. I like their style much more than the other big names like Rolex or Omega. But I'd still rather stick with my Invictas and other non-famous brands.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice, simple design, just not for me. Don't know why, Movados remind me of Miami Vice and white sport jackets, t-shirts and mesh sandals for some reason. I do like ESQ - hated their old ads though. :blush:

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only thing I don't like about Movado is I haven't seen any of them that have numbers on them. To me they all look the same. Sorry.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I have to agree about the above comments. What has Movado done lately? What innovations have the accomplished in the last 5 years? Why do all their watches look the same? Where is their in-house movement, or latest technological advances? Why is their resale so horrendously low? And where is their marketing to try and impove the image? To me, Movado is just not on the radar.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well i own a new 42mm Movado museum automatic and i can tell you that is a really nice watch, very good well made.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that it is worthy of note that were it not for Albert Einstein, the Movado museum watch would not even have the dot at the 12 o'clock position.

As cool jazz wafted through the ornate rooms, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Richard Meier and others wandered past black columns inset with new renditions of the museum watch along with a letter from Albert Einstein suggesting a need to mark the 12 o’clock spot — hence the famous little circle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/business/27interview.html?pagewanted=print
What a stroke of genius! And you thought that Einstein was a mere physicist.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
The only thing I don't like about Movado is I haven't seen any of them that have numbers on them. To me they all look the same. Sorry.
They have added some that are more traditional 'sport' looks in the past 4 years or so. My wife has a ladies sport model that looks nothing like a traditional Movado. It has numbers on the dial, a non-movable sport bezel with hash marks, etc. She really likes it. I'll try to take some pics & post. They have a mens model too, but it was too thin for me. It was about the only Movado I'd consider owning.

For me, Movado usually isn't worth the money. The one my wife got is a quartz & mineral crystal. MSRP is $499. Wayyyy to much for it. Though I think we got hers for about $200, maybe a bit less. At MSRP, Movado's are NOT worth the price IMO. For a $499 MSRP I'd expect sapphire, not mineral glass. I think their price is too high, but huge discounts can be found which IMO minimizes the brand. Set your MSRP more accurately.

Now I do think they are making progress. They've released much more in the auto range, and I believe they have 1 (or is it a concept?) that is in-house. They also are adding models that don't fit the traditional museum look.

Personally, I don't like the museum line. I want more on my watch than a dot. But, that's just my opinion and since they all look pretty much the same, that's why I don't care for them (along with the pricing). But if they 1) fix the pricing 2) offer more sapphire and 3) continue offering autos I'd consider one if I liked the look.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't have anything against them. I bought my daughter a Museum automatic a couple years ago and she absolutely loves it. I must say it is a very striking piece in-person. One of my friends has a Museum SS silver face and loves it as well. Movado has a good reputation and is well regarded with the general public and that may be the problem. I have always felt that a lot of the WIS bias against Movado, Raymond Weil and other similar brands is just unthinking elitist snobbery and has nothing to do with the watches per se. I think the same is true about those with an unreasoning disdain for Quartz watches as well.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts