WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Knowledgeable Rolex Watch Guys,

When you're not wearing your magnificent timepieces, what's the best way to preserve them. Watch winders seem a little bulky but is that the best way?:confused1:

I also heard you should pull out the crown and just let it sit.

Your knowledgeable input is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Depends on how many you have.. I have watch boxes that hold 6 each quite nicely and in style.

The original box though is nice, of even nestled in the top of a jewelry box.....

There is absolutely no reason I can think of to pull out the stem/crown..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey LarryD, Thanks for the reply.

A guy in the office has got a few watches and suggested taking out the crown so that the watch doesn't stop on its own. :confused1:? It didn't sound right to me so I ask... Thanks again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hey LarryD, Thanks for the reply.

A guy in the office has got a few watches and suggested taking out the crown so that the watch doesn't stop on its own. :confused1:? It didn't sound right to me so I ask... Thanks again.
Sounds like a creative way to increase the power reserve if you can get your head around the physics of it:scared:

I wonder if he meant pulling out the crown to stop the watch in an attempt to conserve the battery while it's not in use.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would guess, just as someone else above, that the only reason to pull out the crown is to conserve battery use, if your watch is quartz. However, I can't think of a reason to do this with manual winds or automatics. There are plenty of manufacturers for "travel" cases and I think this is a solid way to protect your watches.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I only have 4 watches, they sit in the top drawer of my dresser on a cloth. The ones i am not wearing get a maintenance wind each day to keep them running. I store them all 'crown-down' in order that they lose time when not being worn.
Welcome to WTF by the way!
:wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Knowledgeable Rolex Watch Guys,

When you're not wearing your magnificent timepieces, what's the best way to preserve them. Watch winders seem a little bulky but is that the best way?:confused1:

I also heard you should pull out the crown and just let it sit.

Your knowledgeable input is appreciated!!!
Do what the ADs do. Keep them in the box.

There is no need to wind a mechanical watch everyday. I have two examples of A.Schild movements from the 80s ticking merrily (<5s p/d) with 40++ hours power reserve. NOS and never serviced, just left to sleep for 20 years.

I don't think folks here will disagree AS is economy class when the Rolex is at least 10-20x more expensive.

A Rolex service costs big time, whether the watch is sparingly worn or used and abused.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Agree if the watch is quartz pulling our the winder will save battery. But for real watches, if the movements are clean and freshly oiled, then the less use the less wear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just wondered.....

If you pull the crown out while you store the watch, depending on your storage environment, don't you expose the inside of the watch to possible humidity issues or maybe drying out of the seals, etc.??? I was led to believe that the seal around the crown/tube is optimized when the crown is in the seated (pushed in) position. This is of course more obvious with screw-in crowns.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just use a 6 spot case for my watches, with a see through top. I like it a lot. It reminds me of a humidor for cigars, but in this case, it keeps watches fresh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pauley said"I store them all 'crown-down' in order that they lose time when not being worn."
Why do you want them to loose time? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only have 4 watches, they sit in the top drawer of my dresser on a cloth. The ones i am not wearing get a maintenance wind each day to keep them running. I store them all 'crown-down' in order that they lose time when not being worn.
Welcome to WTF by the way!
:wink:
Hey Pauleypaul, Thanks for the welcome and the advice!:001_smile:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pauley said"I store them all 'crown-down' in order that they lose time when not being worn."
Why do you want them to loose time? I'm just curious.
To save time? :D
Sorry couldn't help it :blushing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts