WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,567 Posts
There is no such thing, I'm afraid. There are several good candidates, but each has enough faults to prevent it from becoming a clear winner.

Casio is the King of Quartz, and Timex isn't too far behind, but neither offer any mechanical watches under $100.

The name Seiko has been known world-wide for a couple generations, but a few Seiko 5's have accuracy issues. Some do not like that Seiko autos cannot be hacked, or they can't be crown wound and must be agitated to wind the mainspring.

Orient also uses in-house mechanical movements. Great accuracy but the lower priced models tend to "feel cheaply made". No brick & mortar outlets- you can't try one on before you buy.

Invicta has a good quality-for-dollar ratio but there are too many alleged horror stories about non-existent Customer Service.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
There is no such thing, I'm afraid.
Sure there is, as long as it's in the context of the question. There's always a best option in a particular category. It may not be the best when compared to others outside the category, but for every defined area there is a best option. Ex., if you asked "what's the best watch under $100 to compete with my XYZ that sells for $5,000" then I agree, it doesn't exist as it'll be far inferior in at least one area, probably more than one. But if the question is simply "what's the best watch under $100" and nothing else there will always be a best option.

Now before it can be answered though I think the OP needs to provide some more details on what he wants.
  • Do you want quartz, mechanical or don't care?
  • If quartz do you want digital or analog display?
  • What about water resistance?
  • Will you swim or snorkel with it or will the wettest it'll get is a few rain drops?
  • Do you plan in SCUBA diving with it (this will really limit your options if so)?
  • Do you want leather strap or bracelet?
  • What size do you want?
  • Gold tone, steel or two-toned color?
  • Sport style or dressy style?

There's a lot of watches in the under $100 category. Giving us some details on what kind of watch you want will help give you realistic options you'll like.

·
Super Moderator
16,567 Posts
.......Now before it can be answered though I think the OP needs to provide some more details on what he wants.....
....Giving us some details on what kind of watch you want will help give you realistic options you'll like.
There you go again, throwing facts and specifications into the equation! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

BTW the Miyota-powered 8929 ain't too shabby either!

·
Super Moderator
16,567 Posts
That's a good asking price for an Eco-Drive. I'm very happy with the accuracy of mine- I've had 2 for years and they still
gain only (roughly) 2 seconds per month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Orient does look pretty nice but I might be able to talk this guy with the Citizen down to even less than $75 so for right now thats what I'm going to try and get :)

·
Super Moderator
16,567 Posts
The Eco-Drive looks very nice.

But, why do they make white dials with white hands. That makes no sense to me. Hard to read, no?
For the same reason some makers gave us black dials with black hands- there were enough test groups out there that convinced the marketing execs it was a viable combination and should be produced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love my old aqualand but no way can I read it in the middle of the night. One big uniform glow and the hands cannot be seen.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.