WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

What's Considered The "Better" Movement?

• Swiss Quartz

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Japanese Automatic

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Steve, Prepare To Be Verbally Flogged

Votes: 5 31.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the learned membership here consider the "better" movement:

1. Swiss Quartz

2. Japanese Automatic

If this is a completely ignorant question, please fell free to verbally flog me...

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I picked Swiss quartz as quartz will always be more accurate than automatic IMHO. That said, Japan also is not known for making good automatics.....yet. Some of the Seiko watches coming out may change that; but, they are going to have to step up their marketing and get WIS to accept the movement.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
If by better, you mean more accurate I vote for Swiss quartz.
Truth is pretty much ALL quartz is more accurate than a mechanical movement, no matter where it's made.
I say this frequently:
We always have to remember there was a reason quartz nearly killed the mechanical watch.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The term "better" may be lead this discussion in a variety of directions, I think. Here are my thoughts, FWIW:

Quartz can be descibed as such in that it can be used to produce a watch that is more accurate, lighter, can be less expensive and contain many more complications than a mechanical automatic model. These aspects would allow for a very wide range of watch styles and versions, making possible the manufacter of activity-specific functions for every need.

But those quailities could also lead to the possibility of malfunction in those complications and the pesky need for periodic battery change requiring more frequent case openings. I wonder, too, if there isn't differences in accuracy among the various manufacturers and price points?

On the other hand, (wrist?), the beauty of the construction of an automatic may lend an "artistic" value. The feel of wobble or slight vibration provided by the rotor in some engines and, where possible, the visual appreciation of the fine workings of the machinery are sources of amazement which provide added pride of ownership, IMO.

These dimensions could be considered as making this watch type as better for their emotional impact. However, there is the additional expense of cleaning, proper maintenance and initial cost.

That being said, I believe we need both technologies.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If by better, you mean more accurate I vote for Swiss quartz.
Truth is pretty much ALL quartz is more accurate than a mechanical movement, no matter where it's made.
I say this frequently:
We always have to remember there was a reason quartz nearly killed the mechanical watch.

I would venture to say that Japanese quartz movements are the equal to the Swiss ones.

·
Registered
527 Posts
this is difficult to vote! i cant decide....which is 'better' movement? i have a swiss quartz, a swiss manual and a seiko automatic.

who should I 'side' this time?

I would go for the japanese automatic. I am voting for this, because I have the swiss manual/automatic mechanical movements in mind as basis of comparison.

Perhaps it is not really a 'fair' comparison between quartz and automatic.
It's like choosing between apple and orange!???

·
Registered
128 Posts
I heard that the Japanese, and Swiss have autoquartz. It uses a rotor to generate electricity for the cyrstal. So that solves the battery replacement problem with quartz.

I guess you could say they are equal, but if I was offered a quartz Tissot, and a quartz Seiko, I would pick the Tissot.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I heard that the Japanese, and Swiss have autoquartz. It uses a rotor to generate electricity for the cyrstal. So that solves the battery replacement problem with quartz.

I guess you could say they are equal, but if I was offered a quartz Tissot, and a quartz Seiko, I would pick the Tissot.

Hahaha...actually I have a craziest suggestion/idea.
I WILL GET BOTH. I dont care if it is swiss, japanese quartz, superquartz or automatic. they are all watches, timekeeping instruments, tools of memories and passion.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I can take solace in the fact that only one person wants me to be verbally flogged!

:lol:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I picked Swiss quartz as quartz will always be more accurate than automatic IMHO. That said, Japan also is not known for making good automatics.....yet. Some of the Seiko watches coming out may change that; but, they are going to have to step up their marketing and get WIS to accept the movement.
I beg to differ! :eek:hmy: I guess you haven't seen the movement in a Grand Seiko or Royal Orient! :001_tt1:

·
Registered
748 Posts
What about Japanese Quartz and Swiss Automatic?

That might be a better comparison, but still difficult.

Quartz from just about anywhere will be more accurate (on average) than automatic watches (on average).

A COSC auto should be on par with a bone-stock quartz movement, but a non-COSC auto will often (but not always) be far off from the quartz accuracy.

So that tells us absolutely nothing!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think we need rephrase Steve's question.

It should be something like: Which movement is better ? automatic, or quartz ?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I would consider the Japanese Automatic and Quartz movement to be superior to Swiss movements at this time.

I rate them on accounts of reliability, accuracy and value. The Grand Seiko's automatic movement surpassed COSC specs. Royal Orient also have their inhouse calibres that are dead on accurate and reliable. The Citizen Chronomaster and Citizen Exceed's quartz is more accurate then COSC Quartz. Japan Only watches have very nice finishing too. Seiko Credor, Citizen Campanole are testament of it. Unfortunately Japanese watches sold outside of Japan are aimed at mass consumer market.

Dont get me wrong. I would still buy Swiss watches and I hope the Swiss would stop competiting amongst themselves and start pushing the standards to the top again. Swiss high precision timing should be a standard and not just a phrase for marketing. Dont forget the French and Germans are also making superb watches. French Marine Chronometrie and German watchmakers like Glashutte have some outstanding watches that are surpassing Swiss COSC standards.

Now I am going back into my hole to put on the asbestos suit.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts