WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm checking out the Omega book and taking look around the forums to see what's available in the vintage Omega market. There's some nice stuff for sure, but there are a few problems:

1) There's nothing making me froth at the mouth while thinking I gotta have it! Sure, I know a couple things I would like to add to the collection eventually... but I'm not in a frenzy to get them.
2) There's nothing I want to move on to fund a potential upgrade. Anything I am selling already went on consignment. I'm actually satisfied with where my collection stands right now. Don't know how temporary that'll be.
3) There's certain death waiting for me (in the form of a 5 foot tall Pacific Island tsumani named Windy) if I commit to another watch without finishing some home improvements. Actually, I want to do the house stuff as much as she wants me to.
4) There's no excitement or anticipation about trolling for watches either, especially after the last couple purchases.

So what's my problem? I know I haven't achieved horological nirvana with any of the brands I chase. If I did, I'd chuck out my Most Wanted list. Is it the winter watch blahs?

My questions to the rest of you: Who's still got the fever, and who's in remission right now? What caused it and/or what are you doing about it?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It sounds to me as though you lack focus. :001_tt2:

I think you should just let the matter simmer for a while on the back burner and in time the picture will clear up of its own accord.

I'm in very much the same boat.

I don't have all the Rolex watches that I might buy, but I'm very pleased with my little collection and I have no desire at this time to add to it.

That's all well and good, but who knows what I'll think, say, after Basil.

Reactions: muttley

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Dennis, are you sure you are not coming down with a nasty bug or something ??
Time for some meds, hot tee.......or who knows, maybe a doctor visit ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It sounds like you should enjoy what you already have...until you find something that inspires you to do otherwise :thumbup1:.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's the normal seasonal variation in vintage watches - you were the first to draw my attention to it, Dennis. I find that the fall Good Watch Season was unusually prolonged this year. It has kept me keyed up much longer than usual. Now the holidays are nearly upon us. Our last incomings of the year are winging our way to us, and then the relative quiet for several weeks - to enjoy the changes in our collections and - oh yeah - family and close friends. The days of trolling decrease in intensity as focus shifts elsewhere. Once the holidays are past, watch kittys replenished, we will return to the hunt, charged up with new goals and targets. For now, enjoy the peace of the season. Before the end of January, you'll be back on the prowl.

For my part, I'm about to have the hugest week of my year, if everything goes right, and then I look forward to time to savor...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Here's a crazy thought - enjoy what you have at the moment. Wear 'em till you want to wear something you don't have.

One of my quirks is that I get a new interest or hobby, and I just go completely nuts with it. Back at the end of the 80s and into the early 90s, I went nuts for American railroad pocketwatches. I had a collection of over a dozen, I'd make tables of their timekeeping performance, my wife sewed watch pockets in all my pants for them - I wore them as my daily watch. I'd unscrew the backs and just marvel at the movement.

Then I got interested cycling. Ended up with a (for the time) state of the art bike, rode at least 150 miles a week, learned all about bike maintenance, joined a cycling club, put in easily 100 miles on a weekend in group rides. I'd look at that bike and marvel at it the simple elegance of the engineering.

Then it was traditional archery. I went to the range every weekend, and shot in the yard most every day. I bought half a dozen longbows and recurves before I got into making selfbows, now I have a dozen wood longbows I made myself, with strings I twisted myself, and about 100 arrows I finished, painted, and fletched myself. I'd string them up just to see the beauty of the arc of the limbs.

Then it was back to bikes. I got a carbon fiber bike, then bought an old Columbus MAX steel frame, had it repainted Ferrari red, and kitted it out with Campagnolo Chorus and the best possible other components, including a $600 custom wheels. I built it MYSELF, apart from the wheels, the bottom bracket, and the headset. I got hours and miles of pleasure from riding a bike I'd built myself.

Right now, it's postwar Elgin wristwatches. I've acquired so many that I have had to institute a system to decide which one to wear on any given day - and this is all in a little over a year. I have taken over half the dining room table for my watchtinkering station, I haunt Ebay, I'm constantly looking for the elusive watch, or part, or original bracelet. I read the Elgin service manual for fun. I sometimes just stop and stare at whatever watch I'm wearing, digging the styling, thinking how cool it was that this thing was built before I was born, and it still works and looks great, and maybe I was the one who got it working again.

But this, too will eventually pass. And I'll have a lot of nice watches, and tools and parts that gather dust, until I get back around to watches again.

My point is, I suppose, that your interests, and what makes you get all excited, are not under your control. You'll get back in the groove, or you won't. You gotta roll with it.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Wow, Gene!

Did you ever think of putting all that energy into formulating a unified field theory?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have the fever. ;)

You're shall return, Dennis, but in the meantime, may I suggest taking a look at things you have traditionally moved past out of hand?

I find when I am waning on the "sport" of watches, taking abreak often helps the fever return. And what otherwise works is sometimes looking at options I normally dismiss out of hand. Years ago I decided "no more chronos". Faces are too busy, to my eye. They're complicated. I don't use the functionality. All reasons to dismiss them - and I trained my ind to skip them out of hand.

Today I find myself drawn to Brietlings and lusting after a few chronos.

Years ago I decided - never another watch without a date window.

Today, it seems I have an eye for art and watches that look good, are easy to read, yet remain stylish make the cut - date window or not.

It's in exploring those areas I used to simply dismiss that I refind my passion sometimes.

Dayum - this was my 300th post! And I dispensed sage advice, no less! LOL

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dennis, I still love my watches as much as ever (more, maybe), so I hardly think that my general watch-related ardor has dimmed. But there's nothing out there in the same general price range that I would want in preference to any of my three (and I have no interest in owning more watches, thereby diluting wrist time for what I have), and I won't spend what it would cost to get something that attracts me more.

I actually like this state of affairs, which allows me to direct discretionary spending to other hobbies. :)

Reactions: GradyPhilpott

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm actually satisfied with where my collection stands right now. Don't know how temporary that'll be.
There's no excitement or anticipation about trolling for watches either, especially after the last couple purchases.
QUOTE]
WHAAAAT?
:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:
You're almost rid of your sickness, just sell us all of your watches and you'll be completely cured.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds to me as though you lack focus. :001_tt2:
How did I not see that one coming? :laugh: Maybe I should get a job as a comedian's straight man.

Dennis, are you sure you are not coming down with a nasty bug or something ??
Time for some meds, hot tee.......or who knows, maybe a doctor visit ;)
No, I don't have horologophobia or anything.

Sleep on it, your passion will return D.

Remember; the destination is an illusion, the journey is what matters.
It usually does. I'm a believer in the trip being half the fun too.

It sounds like you should enjoy what you already have...until you find something that inspires you to do otherwise :thumbup1:.
Oh, I do. Lately I've been opening one of the watch cases and having trouble deciding what to wear in a reasonable amount of time because I want to put several different watches on. I'm just wondering why some things that normally would have sparked a keen interest aren't right now. What was a never ending tidal rush to move up the ladder in quality has ebbed to a more quiet flow.

It's the normal seasonal variation in vintage watches - you were the first to draw my attention to it, Dennis. I find that the fall Good Watch Season was unusually prolonged this year. It has kept me keyed up much longer than usual. Now the holidays are nearly upon us. Our last incomings of the year are winging our way to us, and then the relative quiet for several weeks - to enjoy the changes in our collections and - oh yeah - family and close friends. The days of trolling decrease in intensity as focus shifts elsewhere. Once the holidays are past, watch kittys replenished, we will return to the hunt, charged up with new goals and targets. For now, enjoy the peace of the season. Before the end of January, you'll be back on the prowl.
That's another thing I forgot - the fall watch season is over. The late winter/early spring season will start in a month or so as you mentioned. Got to go fishing on the boat for the first time in a couple years which felt great! I didn't even wear a watch that day and it never occurred to me until we were headed in.

My point is, I suppose, that your interests, and what makes you get all excited, are not under your control. You'll get back in the groove, or you won't. You gotta roll with it.
I get what you're saying completely. Watches will always be a past time, but see above about fishing - that's in my blood.

Wow, Gene!

Did you ever think of putting all that energy into formulating a unified field theory?
Really! Solving the puzzles of the world as a hobby. :laugh:

HA! Before I figured it out, I'd probably lose interest and start obsessing on antique straight razors or some other thing!
Doesn't Pog/Gene collect them? :confused1: Somebody around here does.

I have the fever. ;)
Good! We need to keep those arrival threads churning.

You're shall return, Dennis, but in the meantime, may I suggest taking a look at things you have traditionally moved past out of hand?
Oh, I'll come around. Hopefully without doing anything drastic. Don't expect to see me sporting a U-Boat though. :scared::lol:

Dayum - this was my 300th post! And I dispensed sage advice, no less! LOL
Congrats on the milestone! :thumbup:

Dennis, I still love my watches as much as ever (more, maybe), so I hardly think that my general watch-related ardor has dimmed. But there's nothing out there in the same general price range that I would want in preference to any of my three (and I have no interest in owning more watches, thereby diluting wrist time for what I have), and I won't spend what it would cost to get something that attracts me more.

I actually like this state of affairs, which allows me to direct discretionary spending to other hobbies. :)
Imagine that - a state of Zen. I'm sorta at that point with fishing gear, so it can't be out of the realm of possibilities with watches.

WHAAAAT?
:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:
You're almost rid of your sickness, just sell us all of your watches and you'll be completely cured.
You never give up, do you? I admire your persistance. That's how I finally got Desmond to give up his Constellation 504. Well, persistance and a trade for a Centenary that he wanted.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Oh, and warm up your cameras for the End of Year SOTC thread coming in a week or so. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just smile & relax Dennis, and remember that all good things come in time

I hear your inner WISdom calling out, and I know what your feeling as it fades at times.

But stay of good cheer, and in good time the right models will appear before your eyes & you'll know that your grails have finally arrived and you'll be cured again! :biggrin:

I've had the fever for Seiko divers for many years, started with the 6309 which I got at the Marine Base PX, then many many more seiko divers over the years made there way to my hand, I then started looking for the early rarities of Seiko yesteryear and found myself looking intently for the grail of grails, the professional 6215 Seiko 300m Highbeat diver as well as the 6159 cousins. I've seen only a few in 31 years, and those came around in the last 4 years all with price tags higher than a Omega SM.

The search and fire has been semi quenched over the years for various reasons more so recent times, but the ambers are still there with some fire left in them waiting to be fired up again by my inner WISdom, and one day a breeze of fresh air will blow across them and I'll finally obtain that grail.

Cheers, :thumbup1:
Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Dear Mr. Focus;
If memory serves me correctly (of course it does, who am I kidding? :001_tt2:), I seem to recall a post by you a while ago very much akin to this one. After about a month you were your old curmudgeonly self again. This current melancholy too shall pass.Patience is the key. That, and your house chores...now stop dawdling and get busy! :glare:

As for myself, I am situated in a sort of forced remission, promulgated by extraneous and rudimentary financial considerations.
(aka: I'm broke thanx to Christmas!) I do, however, have a nice Bulova Caravelle ready to be a December Incoming. All that's needed is a day where The Great Architect of the Universe stops blessing us with rain so I can get a good wrist shot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A word to the WISe: Rest up - u'll probably need it.

I love this time of year - the great watchmakers have usually wrapped up their annual collections, and I get to fantasize about which watches I'd get all my friends and family for Christmas if I was a millionaire. But I lose the fever. I'm not actively shopping anymore. I know I can't afford anything new and the only watches I WOULD buy are the same as I wanted since the beginning of the year. I love the ones in my collection. I've indoctrinated everyone I know about mechanical watch magic. This month's watch magazine subscriptions are in, and thoroughly perused, and dog eared like hell. I stop visiting all the local boutiques. I stop calling ADs. I just kinda relax on the watch obsession. It feels like I'm losing interest, but I know it's really just subconscious hibernation.

Because 2012 is coming. And that means all the great watchmakers are secretly hard at work creating the jaw-dropping new lineups; insane new technologies; enthralling new models. Spring is coming. Which means SIHH is coming. Which means Baselworld is coming. And when the watch scene explodes back to life, we'll all be sick with the fever again.

I always just relish this time of year. It's not as satisfying as Christmas morning, sure. But it's just as enthrallingly suspenseful as going to bed on Christmas Eve.

So rest up. With the watch world well on its way to returning to its pre-recession glory, 2012 is looking to be a VERY good year for those that share our malady.

Reactions: muttley

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think if I get a few watches back in the rotation I'll be fine. Some regulars are out being serviced or next in line to be serviced (4 vintage Omegas, a couple Longines). Others are waiting on a new custom strap like the VC. That's been gone a while and creates a big void.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts