WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I brought it up with Chris a couple months ago:

I've never had the opportunity to personally visit the LUM-TEC facility in OH, but according to this post by John documenting his visit to LUM-TEC, case and dial prototypes are displayed in a display case in their seating area/showroom.

PS. I'm still a pretty big fan of the diver prototype case on the far right center with what looks like an internal rotating bezel and the off-center crown! I forget which thread had the renderings of that prototype, but it was several years ago and I can't remember why that project stalled out/got scraped. :sad:

His reply:

We still have that one on the backburner btu we have made several variations of it and have yet to be happy with how it came out. Still needs work.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just assumed it was the other, thanks for clearing that up.

IMO a proper divers watch should be easy to read in an instant, so a simple dial design it key which this one has. I suppose if I were to change anything it would be the internal bezel so that the last 20mins were reverse lumed and the bezel itself to be a bit bigger.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've always liked where this was heading, and especially if it uses the Ronda 6203B Qz movement which incorporates a second timezone dial. However, I think the movement requires the second crown, which is where I suspect Chris gets hung up. I think it could be done well, and be a very popular watch

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it's tricky to get the internal bezel design right so that it is very easy to read and there is no confusion when diving. I realize most people these days rely on their dive computers, but still, you want a watch like this to be very functional. The design looks great, but I'd be curious to know what the design hang-ups have been in prototyping.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Could just be me, but I've had a few internal bezel watches and I always had trouble getting the bezel to stay lined up when I tightened the crown. A couple were Russian watches, and another was an American brand built in titanium. Just as I would get them tight the bezel would move ever so slightly. All cool watches, but I detest mis-aligned bezels & got tired of fumbling with them, i.e. didn't use it - eventually sold them.

If you could do a internal bezel with clicks like an external dive bezel that would be very cool & tempting! :thumbup1:

+1 on Cobalt too! Internal click bezel, Cobalt, new CNC Dials, sub 44mm option (40-42mm) and I'm in!

Reactions: not_a_doctor

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Could just be me, but I've had a few internal bezel watches and I always had trouble getting the bezel to stay lined up when I tightened the crown. A couple were Russian watches, and another was an American brand built in titanium. Just as I would get them tight the bezel would move ever so slightly. All cool watches, but I detest mis-aligned bezels & got tired of fumbling with it them, i.e. didn't use it - eventually sold them.

If you could do a internal bezel with clicks like an external dive bezel that would be very cool & tempting! :thumbup1:

+1 on Cobalt too! Internal click bezel, Cobalt, new CNC Dials, sub 44mm option (40-42mm) and I'm in!
Personally, I don't think internal bezel watches should have a screw-in bezel. It makes them difficult to use. Just a bit of resistance is all that's needed. Bit -- as with all dive watches -- the bezel must align!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Personally, I don't think internal bezel watches should have a screw-in bezel. It makes them difficult to use. Just a bit of resistance is all that's needed. Bit -- as with all dive watches -- the bezel must align!
Without a screw in crown for the internal bezel how would you keep it waterproof.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Use click indents like an external bezel but perhaps lighter so it would be easier to manipulate with a crown with a fixed crown position that doesn't need to be pulled out or screwed in! Then you could line it up and have it stay put! Could that be done and still keep the water resistance? Lum-Tec uses what they call a double-diamond sealing system.. I think that would be cool! Has it been done? All the internal bezels I've owned previously were free wheeling with little to no resistance.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm not sure of the technology, but O7, Prometheus, Magrette, Halios all have non screw in crowns, with waterproofing up to 300m. Doesn't seem to be a biggie. But you do need some mechanical form of resistance to prevent the bezel moving, as you do with external bezels. Some people criticized the Halios Laguna because they felt the bezel moved too easily, but that's not my experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.