WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some appointments downtown yesterday so while the wife and I were in town we decided to meet the son-in-law for lunch.
While sitting I noticed he was wearing a stainless Rolex sub. Now that would not be unusual for him because both he and his wife wear nice jewelry and clothes. In fact he has some really nice other watches including a fairly new authentic stainless and gold Rolex sub.
I wasn't wearing my glasses so I didn't notice anything but he then smiled and said it was fake, knowing that he wouldn't wear a fake in the past I asked what gives.
His answer was that he works in a not so good part of town and if he were going to lose a Rolex he would rather it be this watch......................So I wonder what you guys think? If it were me and I were worried about something like that I would just wear a beater, but he says he likes the watch and doesn't really care since he does own a real one, hes not trying to fool anyone.......
:confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
While he does have a reason, it's not a good one. Why not just wear an authentic lesser priced watch like a Seiko or Hamilton? :confused1:

A fake is a fake is a fake. Most of us despise them. I hope that this post is the strongest worded one in this thread but be prepared for worse.

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
Okay Dennis- I'll (reluctantly) keep it mild

While he does have a reason, it's not a good one. Why not just wear an authentic lesser priced watch like a Seiko or Hamilton? :confused1:
A fake is a fake is a fake. Most of us despise them. I hope that this post is the strongest worded one in this thread but be prepared for worse.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It kind of reinforces to me what this non-Rolex fan is thoroughly convinced of--With all that advertising money, Rolex has convinced many people that it's not so much about the quality as the image; the important thing is that other people think they're rich because they're wearing a Rolex. If he thought a Rolex were so extraordinarily special, an owner of one wouldn't be satisfied wearing a fake; he apparently thinks it's more important to project conspicuous consumption than to wear quality, or even honest goods.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I understand the sentiments and I agree ....a fake is a fake.... Ya know in previous discussions with him we have joked about the people that wear fakes:confused1::confused1::confused1:
I know him pretty well, I mean we are family and all and he is a down to earth kinda guy that doesn't pretend to be anything and financially hes doing well ....But I guess hes just not a WIS and it doesn't really faze him and being family I don't want to poke the bear so-to-speak. ( I will however razz him about for a long time:wink::wink::wink::wink:
It is just interesting how different people think about the "replicas":001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
...But I guess hes just not a WIS and it doesn't really faze him ....
It sounds like that's really just the case. I'm sure he's a down-to-earth guy who probably just figured if he had to wear something cheap it might as well look good.

I have to admit, I used to think that way before I knew any better. I always thought the people who railed against replicas or homages (or whatever you want to call them) came off as a bit heavy-handed. I don't feel that way at all now, of course, thanks to my fine education at WTF University.

Completely agree about the Seiko and Hamilton statement too.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
So, how does the mugger know its a fake? What's to stop them from shanking him to get it?

If you really live/work in THAT bad an area, I don't think you should wear anything that looks like a Sub (including Invicta, Steinhart, etc)

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
So, how does the mugger know its a fake? What's to stop them from shanking him to get it?

If you really live/work in THAT bad an area, I don't think you should wear anything that looks like a Sub (including Invicta, Steinhart, etc)
You would be firmly entrenched in the mugger's Hall of Shame if you boosted an Invicta. :scared::laugh::laugh:

...... oh yes I did go there! :sneaky2::001_tongue:

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
That's another bad thing about fakes. You might as well walk around with a sign on your neck saying: HEY! LOOK AT MY WRIST! PLEEEASE COME AND ROB ME!

And no- they won't know it's a fake until after they've fled and examined it and you're lying in an alley hoping the Police or EMTs get there in time to stop all the bleeding.

·
Banned
778 Posts
If you want to lessen the chances of getting mugged then don't wear something that says "look at me - I have money".

As for wearing a fake? Well it's like buying stolen goods. The buyer is perpetuating a market that rips off decent, hard working people (in one way or another).

Regards,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, I would just wear a "lesser" watch. I have a $40.00 Invicta Sunday Run piece that would fit the bill nicely (well, if I put a new battery in it).

In all honesty, I used to wear fakes. I live in San Diego, and Tijuana is 20 minutes away. I started wearing them before I ever really considered all of the implications. You can get some very well executed fakes down there. The last time I was down there, I looked at a Planet Ocean 45mm, and I had a difficult time distinguishing it from the real one that was on my wrist.

I actually still have a number of Fauxlex watches. I just haven't figured out how to destroy them yet. Being a photographer, I'd like to do something dramatic and photograph the event.

My main watches now are an Omega, and Oris, a Ball and a Tissot, and they're all legit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.