WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Askmen's Watch Snob has said repeatedly that in his opinion, there isn't a watch that costs between $1k and $4k-$5k worth owning. Granted, that's an extreme view, but I wonder if that means that he would endorse a LUM-TEC automatic. LTs are made in limited series, mostly cost less than $1k, have high components, can be customized at the factory to one's specifications, and don't pretend to be something they're not. The company itself is a small, independent firm with a reputation for outstanding customer service. I read the column regularly and I haven't seen him answer a LT question. Has anyone here e-mailed him about LT yet?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would disagree the few Lumtecs over 1K represent the best $ for $ in the watch industry.
M20, M26-M28. The swiss movements in these are now very hard to find, maybe impossible in a 2012 model watch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would disagree the few Lumtecs over 1K represent the best $ for $ in the watch industry.
M20, M26-M28. The swiss movements in these are now very hard to find, maybe impossible in a 2012 model watch.
Aren't the tungsten cases, not the movements, the reason for the higher prices? From my understanding, the movements are fairly inexpensive. It's the overall quality and attention to detail that make LTs the great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Aren't the tungsten cases, not the movements, the reason for the higher prices? From my understanding, the movements are fairly inexpensive. It's the overall quality and attention to detail that make LTs the great bang for the buck.

Spot on.

The movements are nickels and dimes. If a good Japanese movement cost three dollars, the equivalent Swiss movement cost $3.30 -- and only because it's Swiss.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wonder if that means that he would endorse a LUM-TEC automatic.
From the Watch Snob

"To answer your question, the $500 to $1,000 range is a tricky one, as many watches here really should be selling for under $400 and someone decided to get a little saucy with their pricing. Stick to watches with reliable automatic movements, like those from LUM-TEC, Praesto and Prometheus"
Watch Snob: Budget-Friendly Watches - AskMen

"There are some lovely watches in this range that would be great for the gym. Look at the M series chronographs from Lum-Tec or its more durable new automatic watches with Tungsten cases."
Q&A With The Watch Snob - AskMen

"LUM-TEC is quickly becoming the choice limited production American watch for its bold yet reasonable designs and ability to make highly attractive guy gear. The LUM-TEC LUMzilla’s style fits into so many varieties of active lifestyles that you only need to decide whether the size of the watch is right for you. The case is made to fit nicely on even small wrists. You’ll also appreciate that few people -- like you -- will own the watch."

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/watch/lum-tec-lumzilla.html

LUM-TEC M Chronograph

"LUM-TEC is changing what customers should expect from a sub-$500 watch."
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/watch/lum-tec-m-chronograph.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are (or have been) several different people writing as the Watch Snob -- the one from several years ago that liked LTs is definitely a different guy than the current Snob who abhors any watch with an ETA/Miyota movement (and therefore all LTs).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah lots of people say that the column is written by committee. Either way, it's usually an entertaining read, despite the controversial views.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a few different watches (Rolex prez,Pam 177,Breit SA) and I love my Lum Tec a17 phantom. I love the look and feel of the watch. Quality piece....especially for the money. One of my favorite watches.

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
Yeah lots of people say that the column is written by committee. Either way, it's usually an entertaining read, despite the controversial views.
Congratulations- you just hit the bullseye's 10-ring! The column is written for entertainment rather than education. If it weren't for the renewed popularity / interest in fine timepieces, I'm sure Mr. Snob wiuld be writing about sports cars or Hummel figurines or oil paintings. Who knows...maybe Ask Men will see this and start an Fine Art Snob column! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts