WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of watch (not necessarily what bramd) will you never own?

For me, it's one of those "moon phase" watches. Can't stand 'em. If I wanna' see the moon, I'll step outside on a clear night and look up; I don't need it on my watch.

So... WHat is it for you?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
no quartz
no breitling [too many mumbers]
no less than 41mm and more than 43mm
no fashion brands [gucci, guess]
no renato, croton, bulova, accutron, nautica, swatch, bulgary, swiss legend, movado, cartier...
no china.
no manual winding.
only screw in crown and caseback
only japan or swiss

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Addie Kay (brand) and generally I have little use for chronos.
I own one VJ 7750 and maybe one or two quartz chronographs.
I do own a VJ 7751 automatic chronograph with gmt, month, pointer date and moonphase. It's one of my faves from a watch geek standpoint. The moonphase is useless (as is the stopwatch function) but I admire it as one of the high-points of the watchmakers' art.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Any watch with diamonds.
If given one I wouldn't wear it.
I was going to say the same thing but then I remembered a watch I once admired that had some that were very discrete. Overall though, anything with too much bling is out.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Wenger, because of my experience.

Huge, oddly shaped watches, with the possible exception of the Invicta Lupah.

Russian divers.

Skeleton dial watches. Skeleton backs are okay, but are mostly useless, in my opinion.

More than one luxury brand. Which one I would own has yet to be decided.

Any manual wind watch.

Most designer brands, which is to say a watch with a designer's name on it and not necessarily a watch that has been designated as a designer watch by whomever. I feel the same way about clothing, eyeglasses and almost any other consumer item.

Actually, I don't care who designs stuff as long as I like it, but personal names like Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klien, or Tommy Hilfiger give me the willies and make me feel like I'm paying for something I'm not getting in return.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Multifunction Quartz watches. For some reason I hate the look and the functions on them. It seems weird cause I would almost kill to get a full function V7750 /V7751 (date, day, GMT, etc.) within a reasonable price. For example I love the SAIII a stunning watch IMO.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wenger, because of my experience.

Huge, oddly shaped watches, with the possible exception of the Invicta Lupah.

Russian divers.

Skeleton dial watches. Skeleton backs are okay, but are mostly useless, in my opinion.

More than one luxury brand. Which one I would own has yet to be decided.

Any manual wind watch.

Most designer brands, which is to say a watch with a designer's name on it and not necessarily a watch that has been designated as a designer watch by whomever. I feel the same way about clothing, eyeglasses and almost any other consumer item. Actually, I don't care who designs stuff as long as I like it, but personal names like Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klien, or Tommy Hilfiger give me the willies and make me feel like I'm paying for something I'm not getting in return.
GOTTA LUV THE LUPAH!!! lol.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I won't wear:

Diamonds
Bright colors
Fashion watches (Kenneth Cole, Timberland, etc)
Digital
anything over 45mm
anything with a tourbillion (I just don't think they make sense in a wristwatch regardless of cost, exclusivity, or rarity)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I haven't met a watch I didn't like...that's not true. I just bought another Wenger, even though I've trashed two, but then again I've wasted two citizen 200m divers in less than 3 months, but I still think they are good watches.

I wish I could say I won't buy a quartz anymore, but I just did (money for watches is hard to develope)...because I ahve expensive snobish tastes now, but I also realize I'll never own my dream watches.

I don't really like Breitling, then seem too "flashy" for me, but I really respect the brand, and tell people thay are great watches just doubt I'd buy one unless I won several million.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Many types
1) Skeleton dials (hard to read)
2) Tourbillions (too busy looking)
3) Yellow gold (bling ain't my thing)
4) Diamonds or other jewels (too much bling)
5) Squares or rectangles (round only)
6) White/silver dials with silver hands (hard to read)
7) Another GMT (never use it)
8) Another chrono (see number 7)
9) Orange and yellow dials (totally tired of them)
10) Any watch by Breitling (sorry, Breitling lovers...no offense intended)
11) Roman numerals (just don't like them)
12) Moon phases (too much information)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Moonphase - I own one, and like the look of the dial, but the function is a useless pain in the butt.
Movado - I hate that 1 dot at 12. Just not for me, that's all. Although years ago, I said I'd never get a Tag, but there's a couple out there...
Anything over 44ish mm - I'm just too darn skinny. Stinks, I really wanted a few 47's.
Any brand that makes watches 2nd and Clothing (or other product) first.

As for diamonds - I'm certainly not a "bling" guy, but I have a diamond Invicta that's really discreet, I usually have to point them out to people, and it just adds a little sparkle. Looks great at a fancy dinner or swimming. Just different taste.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
For me, it is:

-Movado
-Tag Heur
-Chinese Movement watches (to much lead?) ;)
-Any watch, just b/c some celebrity said to purchase it
-Wind up watches
-Square watches
-VERY expensive quartz watches
-diamond watches

1 - 20 of 62 Posts