WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand you might buy a disliked watch if you can sell it for a profit...but what qualities in a watch will you never buy to keep?

My personal list:

1. A watch with square tipped hands.
2. A watch studded with gems.
3. A watch with any other colours than black/white, gold/silver.
4. A quartz...other than a solar watch someday.
5. A watch thicker than 10mm and/or wider than 40mm.
6. An electroplated case. I have a few...but never again!
7. A watch that cant be read with a quick glance.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
I never say never, because I've done 180˚ turns once or twice. However, I mostly agree with your #4, 5, and 6.

Mind if I show or explain some exceptions to your rules and/or go into further detail?

1. A watch with square tipped hands.
If they work with the rest of the watch that's fine with me. I prefer alpha or dauphine, but any well executed design regardless of the shape of the hands is good.

2. A watch studded with gems.
Ever seen Donut's black dialed Patek Perpetual?

He was showing the winder, but I'd make an exception for that watch. Hell, I made an exception for one vintage Longines shown on the right:

3. A watch with any other colours than black/white, gold/silver.
Blue dials are VERY popular.

Orange rocks too! There are simply too many cool colors, particularly for dive watches, to limit myself to any color restrictions.

4. A quartz...other than a solar watch someday.
Well, this one I kind of agree with - but only because I did quartz year ago and the more I get into watches the more I realize they're battery powered computer chips and not true horology.

5. A watch thicker than 10mm and/or wider than 40mm.
Again, that leaves out a bunch of cool dive watches. My comfort zone is 32 - 39 mm but if the crown is offset (at 4:00 or even on the opposite side of the case) then I'm happy going to 42 mm.

6. An electroplated case. I have a few...but never again!
Not really a vintage guy I'm guessing. Some very nice watches, especially from the 70's, are only available in 20 - 40 micron gold plate. If you're basing your rule on TV watches then I understand your objection to them and agree with you. The plating on them is more like flashing and wears through very quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer alpha or dauphine, but any well executed design regardless of the shape of the hands is good.
The dauphine shape is stunning imo as long as the lines arent slightly curved...dont think I've seen this style prior to WWII.

I also like the Breguet hands on your new Chronoswiss...and the classic Cartier hands.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
The one on the left is a little hard to read, but the hands are unique...
They're not really unique - just usually found on sport watches like Sinn. Look for "pointed sports" in this post:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/27751.htm

It's part of the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/22496.htm

As far as being hard to read, in some light you are correct. Just a slight twist of the wrist and they're actually very easy to see.

Longines used them in the 60's for several series of watches like the Admiral and Grand Prize.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I can't say there's any one feature that would stop me from buying a watch, but here are some things I prefer to avoid:

Gold case - even solid gold. There are a very few I'd make an exception for, such as a nice vintage. I would like one gold watch with a gold dial - I don't think a gold dial would look as good with a stainless case.
Diamonds. They're not completely unacceptable as hour markers, but on the bezel I just can't see myself wearing one. Maybe black diamonds, though.
Above 45mm. Again, there are some I'd make an exception for, but if it looks like I'm a kid wearing my dad's watch, I'll pass - usually.
Digital - although I have an atomic solar G-Shock Mudman for hiking and other activities that might be hazardous to a watch.

As for quartz, there's something intriguing to me about translating the rate of vibration of a quartz crystal into timekeeping. Particularly if the battery is solar charged. Most of my current watches are mechanical, however.

I try to avoid Chinese movements, but I do have a Perpetual Regulator. I couldn't find a Regulator with a swiss movement that was close to my price range, so I struggled with myself and picked one up.

Lastly, I've never bought a watch with the intention of selling it. I've also never taken one in trade that I didn't intend to keep. I wouldn't really feel right paying someone less than I thought a watch was worth, and I wouldn't sell one for more than I thought it was worth. That kind of rules out the possibility of making money on a watch.

Wait - I thought of one feature I would never buy, under any circumstances, other than as a gift for someone for whom it would be appropriate: A Masonic theme. Why? I'm not a member.

ADDED: One other thing I'm not fond of is coin edge bezels or case sides. I guess a coin edge bezel is okay on a Rolex, but on other watches they look like they're trying to emulate a Rolex (in my opinion).

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Although your Conquest breaks one of my primary kind-of-rules (gold case) I love it! The dial is one of my favorites ever.

They're not really unique - just usually found on sport watches like Sinn. Look for "pointed sports" in this post:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/27751.htm

It's part of the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/22496.htm

As far as being hard to read, in some light you are correct. Just a slight twist of the wrist and they're actually very easy to see.

Longines used them in the 60's for several series of watches like the Admiral and Grand Prize.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
I've never bought a watch with the intention of selling it.
I buy nearly every watch with the intention of selling it. :001_tongue::laugh:

It's not as a business proposition..... I just know my tendencies in this hobby well enough to realize that I'll probably end up moving watches along. Some last only 6 - 8 months, others 1.5 - 2.5 years. In the last 6 years of collecting, if a watch breaks the 3 year barrier it's probably pretty safe to say it's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Gold. Don't like too "blingy". It just makes me feel out of place.

That said, I guess white gold would be okay, if the watch is only available in precious metal.

Gems. See above about too "blingy".

Big. Over 42 is just too big.

I buy knowing I'll sell it one of these days. I get bored.

·
Super Moderator
16,888 Posts
"Fashion" Watches.
(If I may be allowed a generalization-) I won't buy a watch from someone who's basic claim to fame is being a successful designer of women's gowns or men's suits.
And though I have seen some pieces that look quite decent...principles are principles!

·
Banned
778 Posts
Quartz - they just don't interest me (unless it was purely a sports watch for working out - in which case I wouldn't even consider it part of my normal collection).

Ermmm - that's it. I'm fairly open minded to the rest of the possibilities out there.

·
Super Moderator
16,888 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a hybrid type I see on early Omegas thats a cross between the sword shape and the 'pointed sports'...see below.

Was the 'tapered baton' invented by Cartier?
Thats what I usually call it.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not spending a premium on any modern-day watch that doesn't have a decent amount of water-resistance.

·
Super Moderator
16,888 Posts
Let me guess...thats called the 'ecodial' made out of sustainably harvested rainforest lumber???:blink:
Umm.....no. It's called The Automotive and was inspired by the dashboard of Ralph's own '38 or '39 Bugatti. The wood is burled elm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.