WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I have a Seamaster Planet Ocean 45m 022105000 blk steel on steel I'm looking to part with. However, the thoughts of eBay and Craigslist scare the hell out of me. This watch has only been worn 3 times (only to formal events) and even has the plastic protector on the clasp in place. I have all books/cards and purchased from authorized dealer but never wear the thing. I have a regular Seamaster I love and hate to see this one sitting in the winder box not being used.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the best (safest) way to sell and even what to ask?

Many thanks in advance. I apologize if this thread should have been posted in another area.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Hi. You could always list it on the watch forums. Each one usually has a sales forum, but you usually need a minimum post count and members are more reluctant to purchase the lower someone's post count is for numerous reasons. Can't tell you what these go for as I don't do modern Omega so wait for some more replies.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Posting on the forums will be your best bet. You still need to buy the buyer, and your buyer will still buy the seller. So if you've bought from other forum people and have references that helps. If not it doesn't make it impossible, just a bit harder. Also, clear crisp pictures are key. People will NOT pay top dollar nor risk an "unknown' seller with bad pics. Take clear, clean hi-res photo's of the watch and bracelet from all angles. Look the watch over with a loupe and exaggerate any issues and show them in pics. Too many sellers just list a picture with the watch and the box, and maybe one of the face. If you can't take this level of pics then find a friend who can. You cannot underestimate the value of good, high res photo's.

As to cost, search eBay and the forums for others that have sold. Make sure on eBay you're looking at sold auctions, not asking price (some people ask the most ridiculous prices). You'll probably find a large sample of them. Keep in mind sales on eBay also pay PayPal and eBay fees, so be sure to deduct about 12-13% of the sale for the 'true' price to the seller. Also look at their feedback. A seller with 100's of positive feedback will get more money than a new seller. Again, you should find lots of samples of PO's on eBay to use.

In the end, it's probably going to be somewhere around 40-50% off the current MSRP for a pristine condition preowned, but that's a guess. Anything above that and it's possible to fine new in box, which would of course have a warranty.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I'd say that all things being equal an asking price of ~$3500 would be fair.

That said, what Scott said is spot-on, so take all that into consideration.

That said, part II, the market for the "older" PO is grossly over-inflated IMHO, so you might be able to start out with an asking price in the neighborhood of $4k.

Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.