WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

What to buy next...

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  TimeTraveler 
#1 ·
OK this is addicting. I bought a Steinhart Nav B II Chrono with the leather strap a month ago. It was my first new watch in 10 years. Since then I have bought a silver Oris Miles Tonneau Chronograph and a cheap Obris Morgan PVD Flieger. Now I am deciding on what to buy next. Either help me decide what to get next or help me stop this obsession :)

Here are some choices I am considering.

Lum-Tec M53/54 Bronze
Lum-Tec M52 Tungsten
Steinhart Apollon, regular or chrono APOLLON automatic, Apollon Chronograph

I am on the fence about the Apollon. I like the bronze bezel but would need to change to a tan strap. I would also need to buy a black leather or rubber strap to wear with the stainless or black bezel. I do like that the Steinharts come with ETA movements.

I like the look of the new bronze Lum-Tecs but am not sure if I will like the case getting dinged up easily.

I like the Lum-tec Tungsten for the resistance to scratching. I read some reviews of the earlier Tungsten watches and issues with sharp edges and bracelets being difficult to get on. Is this the case with the newer versions?

I realize this forum is for Lum-Tec but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks! Dennis

See less See more
#3 ·
OK this is addicting. I bought a Steinhart Nav B II Chrono with the leather strap a month ago. It was my first new watch in 10 years. Since then I have bought a silver Oris Miles Tonneau Chronograph and a cheap Obris Morgan PVD Flieger. Now I am deciding on what to buy next. Either help me decide what to get next or help me stop this obsession :)

Here are some choices I am considering.

Lum-Tec M53/54 Bronze
Lum-Tec M52 Tungsten
Steinhart Apollon, regular or chrono APOLLON automatic, Apollon Chronograph
If I were you, I'd consider one of the lower M-Twenties series remaining tungstens with the ETA 6498-1 hand wind movement. There were only 150 in each of these series, and they'll never be produced again. I have nothing against the NH35 automatic movement, and I also like McDonald's quarter pounders with cheese.

But the ETA 6498-1 is a gorgeous movement -- a "classic," even. It's a better match, in my opinion, for LT's high-dollar tungsten case.

(prepping for incoming fire) :lol:

#5 · (Edited)
The Apollon Chrono with the bronze & other interchangeable bezels is nice looking & I'm a fan of the 7750, but I'm not sure it beats out any of the Lum-Tec's you are eye balling unless you are set on an automatic chronograph. The 3 hand version didn't do much for me.

Photos from Lum-Tec.com: M52 - M53 - M54

#9 · (Edited)
I like the look of the new bronze Lum-Tecs but am not sure if I will like the case getting dinged up easily.
The new ones are indeed; really nice.
But there are plans that reveals a; Bronze Combat.
Maybe an idea for next year ;)

I still have the Tungsten Vintage on pre-order (i ordered it last year).
Luckily i paid 50% of it already, and put the rest on my savings account .. because there were some mayor bills these last months to pay.
Unexpected bills that is (4 figures, beginning with a 5 :blink:). So ... after paying that, and bought an Omega PO 8500 (45,5) last Juni (It look me
a very long time to saved that kind of money, for this dream-watch. But i finally got it :001_wub:), my bank account is dry, as you can imagine.
So my next watch will be somewhere next year. Maybe the Cobalt Chromium, or the Bronze combat.
But there also an new photo camera on my wish-list for next year (Nikon 7100 ?). The old camera it's good anymore. Decisions, decisions :001_unsure: :wink:

#11 ·
OK, I have narrowed it down to either the M52 or the M49.

I really like the face on the M49, better than any other Lum-tec I have seen. Lum-tec has some demo M49s left and the price is decent. I could use the price difference to buy a couple more straps.

I like the idea of the tungsten and it always looking good; not to mention the fact that they are among the more coveted Lum-Tecs so I could probably sell it later and not lose much. However, I am not crazy about the dial on the M52, if I could get it with the M49 dial I would order in a heartbeat. Also I would probably want to change out the stock strap and go for something a darker. I don't know how much I would wear the tungsten bracelet, partly because of the weight but also because I just like leather straps better and my dive watches with bracelets don't get worn much.

Do you think the highly polished M52, especially with the bracelet on is too "blingy" to fit with the vintage looking dial?

It sounds like I am talking myself out of the M52 but I really haven't decided yet so feel free to chime in. I do want to order soon.

Thanks!

Dennis

#13 ·
To me tungsten looks like old school nickle plating like you'd find on a custom motorcycle or something.

#16 ·
A thread from the past but I'm also debating a new (diver) watch and anything that's rated to 1000ft I class as a diver. I original was considering a Seiko monster but after seeing one it didn't do it for me so I'm looking else where, another Lum-tec is an option which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet (hopely Chris has a 500M replacement in the wings) but I'm also considering one of the Steinhart models, go rugid with either a Triton or elegant with an Ocean Two but the Apollon bridges these two especially with its interchangeable bezels.

I wonder if Chris ever considered such a thing?

#17 ·
I agree with wirelessness ... nothing in the Steinhart line that you referenced above can hold a stick to the SCB2. If you don't have one of the Super Combat models, you owe it to yourself to get one.

Second choice would be one of the remaining Tungsten Carbide watches. Get 'em before they are gone!

OkeefenokeeJoe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.