WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

What sizes of watch do you wear?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put it another way, do you tend to wear watches of approximately the same size or take in a variety of dimensions?

I thought about this aspect of size last week. Our amigo Gee Jaay was saying that he had a preference for smaller sizes, the Speedy Pro probably being his upper limit. Gee Jaay finds 34 to 36mm as being eminently wearable finding solace in his Connie Anciens ;) and predicting a fashionable return to smaller dials.

I'd probably give a 34mm watch to my Godson :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
- only j/k pal

Then take Mr Inked, our latest happy owner of a PO at 45.5mm no less. Interestingly Mr Inked remarked that he went for the larger PO because the 'standard' size at 42mm would look small compared with his Bond chrono.

Their respective choices appear very clear cut. Gee Jaay not venturing larger than 42mm but will take anything suitable between say 34 and 42mm while Mr Inked definitely stays with 42mm and beyond.

The Trickster Dickster's 36 x 30mm De Ville Jumping Hour seems to suit him

despite his stated ability and indeed desire to wear a much larger piece such as the 49mm Railmaster,

The shape and style of the De Ville probably lends itself a degree of acceptability but he enjoys a wide range of watch / dial sizes.

My co-modding pardner at OMEGALand Mr Terry Diver I believe, stays reasonably close to the 42mm mark as do other folk here like Nunz and J!m. Sam enjoys a wide range, probably the widest amongst us all. I've tried a range of sizes from 34 to 42mm. My most recent small watch was the erstwhile De Ville Byzantium, which at 34mm square was just a little undersized. I too prefer nothing less than around 42mm.

What say you pals? Would you go for a wide range of sizes or do you stay reasonably close to home at a certain diameter?

Y'all be well pals and let's keep talking now :001_smile:

ZIN

Images courtesy of omegawatches.com, Gee Jaay, The Trickster Dickster

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size is relative my friend.

The SMP Diver is 41.5mm so call it 42mm as is the standard PO. Don't think they're too big, do you? I don't have large wrists but the AT I'm wearing here is 42.2mm and fits just nicely

as does the GMT Noir

Now the 49mm may be regarded as a clock to most of us but probably not Giant Haystacks. :D:D

Be well now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hi Zin,

The Jumping Hour you highlight above is about the smallest watch I have. I absolutely love it but given the chance I would have it slightly bigger, say 42mm by 36mm.

I love the sizes of the 42.2mm AT and the 42mm Speedy I also own.

My largest watch is a 48.4mm Breitling. Amazingly, with my 6.5 inch wrist this doesn't look out of place (in my opinion at least).

I have voted 42mm to 49mm because that is where I would like all of my watch sizes to be.

In order, I own the following:

48.4mm,
44mm,
42.2mm,
42mm,
40mm x 3,
36mm,
36mm x 30mm,
34mm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that for me

42mm to 45mm seems to fit nicely on my wrist. To be exact, my Speedy is the best fit for me - but I do love the PO size.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Johnno

How's it going?

The first time I examined a PO was in June 05. It was comfortable alright but seemed big. Not so the next two occasions when the standard model on a steel bracelet and the 2901.51.82, the one with orange numerals on a black rubber strap with red stitching felt and looked perfect. I've never tried the 45.5mm and somehow don't imagine it would look as good on my wrist.

I guess in the end it's your money, your wrist and hence your choice of watch.

Like you, the Speedy too is great for me :thumbup1:

It would be interesting to have a large response so we can gauge preferences on the board.

Be well now pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
What I like about ''smaller'' watches is that you don't feel the crown digging in your hand top for example.

And I really think that smaller watches are comming back..:thumbup:

Time will tell..:wink:

M

·
0 Posts
I checked the 42 to 45 box because I like a little more size on my watches. No problemo with the crown I'm pleased to say.

MWW

·
Registered
815 Posts
I like between 40 and 42 usually because of my Bond and 2254.54 Seamasters, but I also do like the smaller faced appeal of my Sea-Dweller. However, I'm a big fan of the 45.5 Planet Ocean and I think it pulls it off with class.

·
Registered
815 Posts
voted for between 40/42 - that's what i would normally buy size-wise

The PO is an exception - I love it in a big 45.5!

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was in a quandry.

While I enjoy the Prestige Co-Axial Small Seconds, I still think it's winding action is smooth as silk - you ought to investigate that just for the experience :thumbup1:, I'm not sure how a smaller size watch would be for me. I've shyed away from them having gone down that route before and would never consider anything under 42mm or at least SMP size. I doubt if I'd go to 45mm either as the larger PO looked big on me, too big in fact but I did vote 42 to 45 as I didn't put in a 42 to 44 category!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Stay well pal :001_smile:

ZIN

C

·
0 Posts
40 to 42mm and my first post here.

Nice place you folks have :001_smile:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a scientific sample I know but I think the 42mm size has for quite some time now been a favourite among Omega enthusiasts going back indeed to pre-WTF days.

I think it's certainly here to stay :thumbup:

Be well now pals :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess i'm in the minority here. I go for the smaller watches. My SMP is the midsize model and my SM 120 is the same size (36mm). 38mm is okay, but at 40mm and above I feel that my wrist starts to disappear!:blink:
I guess I want a watch to be a part of me but not the focal point.

Thank goodness for the mid sizes!

KarlB

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it's great that Omega does indeed make watches in different sizes to cater for the needs of the consumer. Makes a lot of sense to me :thumbup:

Keep enjoying your watches Karl

Be well now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:):)

Mr Karl,

keep wearing what makes you smile:thumbup:

40mm-42mm looks right because thats what I've worn for a long time.

perception is strange, in a case with 42.5mm and 45.5mm watches my 2254.50 looks tiny.. but it's perfect on my wrist.:thumbup1:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
685 Posts
40 - 42. Both the Bond SMP & mid size PO fit my wrist very well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts