WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will be graduating in a couple of months, and I was wondering what the best choice is for a College Grad is. I am slightly torn between the white space speedy, the black face speedy, and bond original seamaster and the black 2254 seamaster. Any other thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated! One more thing, I dont like leather, gold, and anything too big.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Well I will be graduating in a couple of months, and I was wondering what the best choice is for a College Grad is. I am slightly torn between the white space speedy, the black face speedy, and bond original seamaster and the black 2254 seamaster. Any other thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated! One more thing, I dont like leather, gold, and anything too big.

Hello Mr Sparks

Well please accept my heartiest congratulations on your success :thumbup:

I think the black Seamaster would be my choice. The model 2254.50. While there is a new Co-Axial on the way, it remains classic, iconic and desirable. It is a fabulous watch and will outlast your student days.

By white faced Speedy, do you mean the 35th Anniversary Moon Landing model? It is discontinued now so you'll have to hunt it down in the sales corners and auction sites or rooms. The standard 3570.50 is the current generation Moonwatch of course. It is manual winding as you may be aware. The hesalite will scratch but a hefty bash will leave it intact. Mind you, I haven't heard of a sapphire shattering either. The hesalite will scratch as I said but it will also polish out provided the scratches are not too deep. Sapphire will be more low-maintenance but either will be just as pleasing. The sapphire watch ( 50th anniversary Patch model apart ) has a display back as well which allows you to marvel at the rhodium-plated movement.

New or pre-loved, you'll love your Omega :thumbup1:

Enjoy and be well friend :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
Hello Mr. Sparks,any model you mentioned would be great,but I would recommend visiting an AD to take a look at them in person to see what grabs you.

BTW,would you folks believe I cracked a sapphire crystal,I hit it pretty hard on a stainless steel brew kettle at work,fortunately it was a beater.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Good grief Larry

That would have really hurt me. A truly hefty blow delivered at the precise angle will crack a sapphire crystal but I've bashed a watch or two and both ' Thank Heavens ' have escaped unscatched.

Be well pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, I can tell you what I did :cool1:

Bought this one when I finished my BSBA

Then a couple years later I picked this one up when I completed my MBA

Both are cornerstones of my collection and you can't make a bad choice with either. If you're lucky maybe...just maybe the back of your Speedy will look like this :thumbup:

Congrats and Good Luck

H

·
0 Posts
I was going to suggest getting a Constellation. Imho the nicest of all the non-sports watches but then again I'm a girl. :biggrin:

I think the Seamaster would be my suggestion too. It's robust and looks the part.

HP :001_smile:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go for the only watch that rules them all (In 45mm of course) :drool::drool::drool:

G

·
0 Posts
OMEGA 2454.50 would be my choice

I just bought a 2454.50 for myself for my birthday in December. I can say that this is one purchase that I certainly will not ever regret. The watch is wonderful. I was a little apprehensive about getting a 41mm watch, I thought it would be too big and heavy. I most definitely thought wrong! The watch is light, but solid and a joy to wear. In the dark the luminescence is superb, it glows a brilliant blue-green. I can definitely recommend the 2254.50 . If you haven't already, take a look at some of Mr. Holbrook's reviews - they
were what guided me in my purchase, and I can say that I was guided quite well!:001_smile:

Congratulations on your Degree!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yes, I'd say the 2254.50 or the Speedy Pro. IMHO, it's a toss-up! Just remember the Speedy-Pro is not an automatic, but a straight up mechanical. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
What a tough call! So many options. I am obviously slanted in my suggestion but the 2254.50 is a great choice. A timeless classic, rugged and gorgeous to look at. It sounds crazy but I still catch myself looking at it through the day during meetings or tuning out during boring conference calls! The Speedy of course would be a solid pick as well. Best o' luck, you can't go wrong with Omega! Here is a shot of my 2254.50 hanging out on the dining room table last Christmas...cheers!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I still can't get over how well it glows. It barely takes any light at all for it to shine. Sometimes I'll go out to eat at night in restaurants with dim atmospheres and when I come home I can clearly read what time it is inside the house even before I turn on the lights. Omega must really pile that Superluminova on thick with the 2254. It gets me every time! I love it. :thumbup1:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
The 2254.50 is such a hard act to follow. It's got to be the choice really. An absolute thoroughbred :thumbup1:

Y'all have a nice weekend now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny that you are asking.

I just graduated from Law School here in Germany in Tuebingen.

As a graduation present from my mother, i chose the (new?) Seamaster Professional GMT Auto in Steal / Blue (2535.80.00) with the co-axial movement.

As this is my first "real" watch, I very happy and satisfied.

Maybe this is an option for you as well.

As I travel a lot, the second timezone is a very useful thing for me...

kindest

Ferdinand

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A Warm Welcome

:biggrin::biggrin:

Mr Ferdinand:thumbup1:

good to have you with us here @ WTF and the Omega Forum:thumbup:

someone mentioned lume on the 2254?

later folks,

diver88:):)

·
Registered
748 Posts
As an only watch, I would say you are on the right track with a black faced watch.

As nice as the blue face bond watch is, I think the black will never go out of style; whereas other colors (such as orange) will come and go with the times.

If you plan to build a collection or not, do get to a dealer and try them all on. Decide what your budget and needs (do you NEED a chronograph for instance?) dictate. Most important is to see what YOU like best, because YOU are the one who has to live with the choice...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts