WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greeting fellow watch enthusisats and WIS'..

No forum privileges to post my question in the apt technical forum, so..
I'm interested in a quality mid-high end watch loupe that is reasonably priced relative to glass/performance. Preferably German, Swiss, or even Japanese if anyone are familiar with loupes. Or the best ones money can buy :thumbup:

Any input, experience & recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jobe

·
Super Moderator
15,651 Posts
Chances are that anything Swiss may be over-priced, unless you want to get into watch repair. And thanks to exposure to many telescopes, I can tell you the Japanese are capable of producing some highquality optical glass!

Check out your local coin dealer or hobby shop. A very high percentage of them sell loupes, and you'll save paying those shipping fees. But use caution- quality will vary. Naturally, stay away from plastic lenses, even if they are of optical quality.
Look for the words APLANATIC (no image distortion) and ACHROMATIC (no color distortion).
Plan on spending a minimum of $15

Avoid the temptation to get one with several lenses...

While boasting high magnification potential, the lenses work fine individually but I find that stacked on top of each other, the image they present is highly degraded and inferior. I carry a 3X that I use when shopping at flea markets and antique stores, and a 10X for using at home.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Asco 3X Type H (#176.150.35) - swiss made. I plan on adding the 5X soon. Jesse recommended them because the field of view is 25 mm wide instead of the normal 21 mm. Relatively inexpensive (about $25) and decent for the money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And thanks to exposure to many telescopes, I can tell you the Japanese are capable of producing some highquality optical glass!
Yessir! I'm well aware to the quality of Japanese glass. Vortex Optics (American) outsources a few of their scopes from Japanese manufacturers. Word on the street is even some Chinese manufacturers are on the come-up.

Thanks for you input, CometHunter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chances are that anything Swiss may be over-priced
Hmm.. Like perhaps some of their watches?!. Personally, I have a belief that besides quality of materials and craftsmanship, customers are also paying for heritage, history and reputation.

You make a good point too, thanks!

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Jobe said:
Hmm.. Like perhaps some of their watches?!. Personally, I have a belief that besides quality of materials and craftsmanship, customers are also paying for heritage, history and reputation.

You make a good point too, thanks!
Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loud!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
:001_rolleyes: No. not overpriced, the Dollar is even more worthless.
Chances are that anything Swiss may be over-priced, unless you want to get into watch repair. And thanks to exposure to many telescopes, I can tell you the Japanese are capable of producing some highquality optical glass!

Check out your local coin dealer or hobby shop. A very high percentage of them sell loupes, and you'll save paying those shipping fees. But use caution- quality will vary. Naturally, stay away from plastic lenses, even if they are of optical quality.
Look for the words APLANATIC (no image distortion) and ACHROMATIC (no color distortion).
Plan on spending a minimum of $15

Avoid the temptation to get one with several lenses...

While boasting high magnification potential, the lenses work fine individually but I find that stacked on top of each other, the image they present is highly degraded and inferior. I carry a 3X that I use when shopping at flea markets and antique stores, and a 10X for using at home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts