WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Curious to know your strategy for Buy-it-Now/Best Offer listings on eBay. Please vote it our poll. We will publish results in a few days.

Click here to vote in the poll.

If you want to discuss here, here are the options in the poll.

1. I offer a very low amount just to get the ball rolling
2. I offer an amount that is slightly below what I am willing to pay
3. I offer the amount that I am willing to pay
4. I just pay asking price
5. I would never buy a luxury watch on eBay

Thanks! We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
It depends on the watch. If it's something I really want I'll make an offer I think is fair market or a little below for negotiation. If it's something I just want to try and then flip the offer will depend on what I think I can sell it for quickly. (because emergencies pop up!)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if the bidders would freak out if their extreme lowball offers (e.g. $500 on a $5000 watch) were accepted: "Uh oh. There must be something wrong with this watch if the seller accepted the bid."

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I wonder if the bidders would freak out if their extreme lowball offers (e.g. $500 on a $5000 watch) were accepted: "Uh oh. There must be something wrong with this watch if the seller accepted the bid."
Not WIS. We know that [a] most people have no clue what watches are worth and they shoot for the moon on their B.I.N. amount. I've had several offers accepted that were between 25% to 50% off the asking price. Then again, I've also had sellers curse at me in replies to some offers that I thought were reasonable.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Vote 1

I'm voting No:1.:thumbup1:
I offer a low amount to see how much discount he's willing to give...
Like he said, $500 offer for a $5000 watch do get accepted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My practice is on eBay is between #1 and #2 but I voted for #2.
I offer less than I want to pay but not so low that my offer is an insult.
Usually the seller comes back with a counter offer and if I still want to buy I buy.
One time I offered "slightly" less than I wanted to pay (#2) and the seller accepted within minutes and I thought
I should have offered much less but I had to pay because I had entered a "contract".

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
On a Buy It Now/Best Offer I just offer what I think is fair based on what I can afford to pay. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever had an offer accepted by a seller using a BIN/BO. For that reason, I hate Buy It Now/Best Offer sales. The most I'll make is two serious offers. If those are rejected, I bow out. If I can't afford to pay full price, I'm not going to make a 3rd offer and receive a third strike. I was engaged in one of these just this past week where I really wanted the watch. It was one of my all-time grail watches, in excellent condition and complete with boxes & papers (a Seiko Brightz Phoenix SAGH005). I would have gladly paid the Buy It Now price of $2250 if I had it, but I couldn't go over about $1750. Some guy got it for $1875. I still haven't gotten over losing that chance....

I hate Buy It Now/Best Offers! :cursing:

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
My first offer is 80% of the asking price, hoping I'll be lucky and get an acceptance (which is almost always refused). Then if the seller doesn't come back with a reduced price suggestion, I'll up it to 90%.
Having said that, I have never purchased anything on eBay that cost more than $400.00

Reactions: Accutronitis

·
Registered
117 Posts
Apologies for hopping on here two years late! I don't have a formula, but I offer an amount that "feels right". Invariably, the seller accepts my offers before I can put my mouse down, and I realize, once again, I've left money on the table.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.