WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
i can think of a few reasons. first, advertisements everywhere and especially in the text of posts. second, helicoptering moderators who push the panic switch too early--premature thread closing. for example, the v+c thread about a guy who bought a garage sale watch. it was closed too early (it had not become nasty yet) and in a way that inhibits people from posting in other threads. lastly, if you go to other types of forums (non-watch) almost all of the threads are discussion about something particular to that forum topic whereas watch forums tend to me more dominated by pictures of recent aquistions. for example, discussions in a classical guitar often focus on something most everyone can pitch in their two cents. for example, a discussion about d.nigra vs d. latifolia--brazilian rosewood vs indian rosewood. although most posters are not luthiers many have thoughts and opinions they are willing to share as there are a plethora of avenues such as the legal issues (i.e., lacey act and cites), the sonic qualities, the visual qualities, whether or not the upcharge for d.nigra is worth it, etc. that type of discussion is difficult in a watch forum; can that many people discuss the advantages of stainless steel 316 vs what other types of stainless steel cases?

as to the first point--yes it is a function of the owners but if postership is down and it went down after the switch, logic dictates there may be a cause and effect. as to point two and three--in my observation watch forums tend to be heavy on "show and tell" and sparse on topics many if not all posters can sink their teeth into and provide their two cents. this is a good reason to let threads that are not "show and tell" go their course and allow members to regulate the flow of the thread. with time people may view this forum as a way to have conversations about the world of watches and not specially on the technical aspects of a watch. one of the best and long running threads in the past few months concerned a social topic about watches and not some technical aspect (see enzo's thread).

just my two cents--and i did not invoke the "f" word (rhymes with rakes).

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
as to the first point--yes it is a function of the owners but if postership is down and it went down after the switch, logic dictates there may be a cause and effect.
I believe the decline started before the change in ownership, the arm twisting to force people to become paying members, the taking away of priviliges such as avatars and private messages caused a riff for some members. It set a class structure to differentiate the members, Platinum, Gold and Stainless steel and then the steerage that I belong to. That, coupled with the uncomfortable resignation of the most dilligent moderator who really was the life blood of this site. I knew we lost a lot the day Dennis resigned, I think WTF was sold at the most oppertune time for the seller, and the buyer is now left to try and put it back together.

JMHO.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
805 Posts
donut--agreed. i think the avatar is a good example. in no forum in which i am aquainted does one have to buy an avatar. i think symbolically it says a lot where an individual has to pay for his ability to be creative and expressive. as to the ads--here is a good example that just happened to me. i posted a question about the miyota 9015 and a poster replied with a link to a previous forum post. i clicked on the link and received no page of forum text but an ad. it took me 4 tries to finally get the previous forum post. i understand the need for ads but it seems to be overkill when one gets an ad and not a previous forum post. and ads in the text of posters....please!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think the prohibition on mentioning non-sponsor companies is huge. There could be a lot of valuable information shared about who is good (and who is bad, potentially including sponsors) that is flat out taboo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm still a newbie here, but this forum seems to be headed in the same direction as another forum that I lived on for years until the founder sold it and also stopped contributing at the same time. That forum is still fairly active, but the content is dead compared to the way it used to be. The personal and social aspects of that forum are gone, for sure. They say that forum makes more money now. I believe it will be short lived, but what do i know?

This happens to all institutions and organizations as the founder's and original participants' visions get lost as they exit.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
i can think of a few reasons. first, advertisements everywhere and especially in the text of posts. second, helicoptering moderators who push the panic switch too early--premature thread closing. for example, the v+c thread about a guy who bought a garage sale watch. it was closed too early (it had not become nasty yet) and in a way that inhibits people from posting in other threads. lastly, if you go to other types of forums (non-watch) almost all of the threads are discussion about something particular to that forum topic whereas watch forums tend to me more dominated by pictures of recent aquistions. for example, discussions in a classical guitar often focus on something most everyone can pitch in their two cents. for example, a discussion about d.nigra vs d. latifolia--brazilian rosewood vs indian rosewood. although most posters are not luthiers many have thoughts and opinions they are willing to share as there are a plethora of avenues such as the legal issues (i.e., lacey act and cites), the sonic qualities, the visual qualities, whether or not the upcharge for d.nigra is worth it, etc. that type of discussion is difficult in a watch forum; can that many people discuss the advantages of stainless steel 316 vs what other types of stainless steel cases?

as to the first point--yes it is a function of the owners but if postership is down and it went down after the switch, logic dictates there may be a cause and effect. as to point two and three--in my observation watch forums tend to be heavy on "show and tell" and sparse on topics many if not all posters can sink their teeth into and provide their two cents. this is a good reason to let threads that are not "show and tell" go their course and allow members to regulate the flow of the thread. with time people may view this forum as a way to have conversations about the world of watches and not specially on the technical aspects of a watch. one of the best and long running threads in the past few months concerned a social topic about watches and not some technical aspect (see enzo's thread).

just my two cents--and i did not invoke the "f" word (rhymes with rakes).
Yes, we get it Pratt, you don't agree with the forums policy on no fake discussions. You've made that clear many, many times. However, the rules on fakes have not changed since the forums creation years ago, nor has the policy of locking threads pertaining to fakes once the fake has been identified changed. It doesn't matter if the thread is nasty or polite enough to impress Emily Post. Discusssions on fakes are not a permitted topic - period. This policy has nothing to do with traffic being down or up, nothing has changed in that aspect. You just see another opportunity to voice your displeasure at the forum policy on fakes. There's plenty of other topics members can participate in without having the fake discussions.

So move on, the forum policy on fakes won't change whether you agree with it or not.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I believe the decline started before the change in ownership, the arm twisting to force people to become paying members, the taking away of priviliges such as avatars and private messages caused a riff for some members. It set a class structure to differentiate the members, Platinum, Gold and Stainless steel and then the steerage that I belong to. That, coupled with the uncomfortable resignation of the most dilligent moderator who really was the life blood of this site. I knew we lost a lot the day Dennis resigned, I think WTF was sold at the most oppertune time for the seller, and the buyer is now left to try and put it back together.

JMHO.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob,

I agree with your statement for the most part and yes, the loss of Dennis was big.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Rob,

I agree with your statement for the most part and yes, the loss of Dennis was big.
Hey guys? I'm still here - haven't kicked the bucket yet.... although my penchant for fried food with loads of salt might change that sooner than I want. :blink::laugh: I just don't contribute the articles or information as before because I can't work for free for any employer (past or present) that's obviously made this place a for-profit venture.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

JMHO.

Cheers,
Rob
I am in 100% total agreement with Rob's words but I would like to add that the American watch forum guys were targeted unfairly and when you start to ban key members from the largest section of the forum then you can expect trouble. I can't understand why any forum owner whilst setting about dismantling a key section of the forum would then decide to start charging other members for basic functions. The American/Hamilton/Bulova sections of the forum had an enormous level of knowledge with some of them the foremost experts in their field.

Dennis stood up for what he believed in and he was correct, it was a very sad day when he quit. I don't mean any disrespect to the moderators that are left or diminish any of the contributions and time that they have given to the forum but on every forum there are moderators that have a bigger footprint and Dennis was one of those.

I still log on to the forum but really what is there to say, the bad blood still lingers. The paying of money to an individual believing that the forum was in good hands only to find out that the forum was up for sale. Things got sadder when PayPal told me that I had purchased nothing physical so was not entitled to a refund and as such the person I sent the money to had the right to not even respond to me, which is what he chose to do.

Scott is correct about the issue with fakes, a question was asked and then answered and no further discussion is needed. The forum may be in real trouble but that is not a reason for moderators to slack off on the rules.

I admire the moderators that have stuck around, you guys have a tough road ahead of you. I don't know if it's even an option with the new owners but maybe it is possible reach out an open hand to those that have been wronged.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I am in 100% total agreement with Rob's words but I would like to add that the American watch forum guys were targeted unfairly and when you start to ban key members from the largest section of the forum then you can expect trouble. I can't understand why any forum owner whilst setting about dismantling a key section of the forum would then decide to start charging other members for basic functions. The American/Hamilton/Bulova sections of the forum had an enormous level of knowledge with some of them the foremost experts in their field.

QUOTE]

Richard,

You are a little off in your statement about "The americn watch forum guys were targeted". Many of the guys that were banned really made it their goal to get banned. It was a ****ing match between John and them, and some went above and beyond in the process of getting banned. I don't have any ill will toward them and, I understand they were doing it out of protest but, when you publicly fight with the then forum owner, you are going to loose everytime.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I understand they were doing it out of protest but, when you publicly fight with the then forum owner, you are going to loose everytime.
But who suffered in the long run?

We know it wasn't the owner at the time because he was up and selling anyway, seems like a few extra holes were being put in a sinking ship that was being sold.

One thing really sticks in my head and that was a forum sponsor finding out in a thread/debate that the forum had been sold, no consideration for the sponsors paying to keep the lights on so why care about the smaller guys.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
As for me...Quality post are far better then random repeated posts..

Not sure what is the problem is here? If one does an ANALYSIS on posts over the past two months, one will find redundancy of the same posts. Better focus can be had with more interesting posts..Nothing to do with the new ownership, more to do with better and more focused posts. Posting the same topic every four days, does not make for a better read.

I like the way we are going right now. :thumbup1:

Arthur

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think there is no less substance here than at other, more populous, watch forums.

But the signal-to-noise ratio here is much higher.

We don't have many "what watch for a desert island" threads, "I have $5000 burning a hole in my pocket, what should I buy," and other utterly mindless types of threads, that so dominate other watch forums.

Yes, it would be nice if there were more meaty discussions, but I'd rather have a less "vibrant" site that's less full of nonsense any day.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Agreed I think we are heading to a more interesting post format..One thing guys..

Us mods are not deleting posts freely as on other sites..we let the the flow come and go and reel it in when needed..
On other sites, many posts with the same content are zapped for the delete bin in no time at all...Unlike other sites, a high rate of posts have responces on WTF..Our members are very strong "watch people" in my opinion

Arthur

·
Registered
805 Posts
i think the issue is the nature of the biz--how much can one say about watches in a forum? some of the longest threads here are on the social/psychological aspects of watches and not, per se, on the watch itself. in other forums ideas are expressed how to do, or do better, the topic at hand. that may lead to questions about who does it better, say men or women or other interesting avenues. it is tough to have that kind of dialogue when the object at hand is not a behavior but an object. how many posts can one have about how to wind a watch?

my intent is not to belittle watches/watch forums but to express the idea that threads have to be allowed, and encouraged, to flow and flow away into seemingly dangerous territories. members have a way of making sure things do not get out of hand. furthermore, allowing members to feel they have more control is good--much like any business or group.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
i think the issue is the nature of the biz--how much can one say about watches in a forum?
A lot actually. I still have unfinished Horology 101 installements with all my notes and information.... but the drive to finish them withered long ago.

Now, this isn't necessarily true in other places where I feel my effort isn't lining somebody's pockets. I'm on the hunt for an Omega with a specific caliber to do a once-and-for-all / put-an-end-to-any-argument type post on comparing two series of calibers. If it works out I'd love to do head to head shoot outs of popular watches with tear downs of the movements. It takes money and time, two things which I refuse to spend for here anymore. The more I look back, the more I think that not only were the contributing moderators taken for granted, they were building this site so a lump sum could go in somebody else's pockets. Hey, that's life and shame on us for believing anything else.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.