WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelling with friends this weekend, and on our way back, we decided to pop in a mall to do some Christmas shopping. Inside, I noticed a jewelry store that was an AD. As I was looking at the new DJ, I noticed the 'Rolex" inscribed inside, and a new two tone face of the dial. I would have asked more about the watch; however, I was in a football jersey and sweats, and the AD gave me the evil eye, and had the finger on the security button. It was quite obvious he was going to be as helpful as a pit viper. So I left.

Has anyone seen them? What are your thoughts? I have to admit, I was not a fan. The dial was black on the outer ring, and cream on the inside. It looked like an Oreo cookie. Curious what everyone else thinks.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Travelling with friends this weekend, and on our way back, we decided to pop in a mall to do some Christmas shopping. Inside, I noticed a jewelry store that was an AD. As I was looking at the new DJ, I noticed the 'Rolex" inscribed inside, and a new two tone face of the dial. I would have asked more about the watch; however, I was in a football jersey and sweats, and the AD gave me the evil eye, and had the finger on the security button. It was quite obvious he was going to be as helpful as a pit viper. So I left.

Has anyone seen them? What are your thoughts? I have to admit, I was not a fan. The dial was black on the outer ring, and cream on the inside. It looked like an Oreo cookie. Curious what everyone else thinks.
The new style DJ has actually been out for a couple of years. They make a couple of models I do like, but my biggest problem is with the new larger markers....I think they detract greatly from the dress appeal of the watch. Like I said, some of models look really good, others I'm not a fan of. Check out this comparison shot of an all gold model I reviewed:

This one has Roman markers which I like. The newer baton markers I'm not so thrilled with.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
One thing with the DJ is it seems to be the most customizable model Rolex makes. If you look at the dial offerings, there's a bunch you can pick from. Some of the new ones I really like (alot) others are like 'what the heck were the designers thinking, drinking or smoking?'. Take a look at the dials avail on the scan Hannes posted... It's in the Rolex Reference subforum..

http://74.50.21.220/~watch18/forums/showthread.php?t=35

Keep in mind, the pictures don't do some of the dial justice at all.... :sad:

Personally, my alltime favorite is the tapestry or linen. I really would like to see those back. But of the current offerings I really like the sunburst (4th scan page) & silver decorated with blue arabics (3rd scan page)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
All depends upon the color combination. I've actually been drawn to DJ's with the leather strap now where I never was before.

In general, though, I see an improvement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although many may not equate Rolex with 'simplicity,' over the years there have always been a few models that appealed to those of us with more conservative tastes--eg, the SS 6694, AK, OP, and OP Date. Even some of the SS DateJusts fit the bill, particularly those with Oyster bands, smooth bezels, and classic dials. (I actually wear a SS DJ as my daily beater.)

To my eye, even the most basic newer-generation styles are seem a bit too overstated. I know part of this, like the 'ROLEXROLEXROLEX' inscription on the rehaut, is meant to thwart the counterfeiters...but this doesn't ring true with all the changes. Some of the dials look, well, awful to me now; and I can't imagine coming home with anything sporting the new YM-II bezel! (But to be fair, I wouldn't be likely to wear the older YM, either--too big for my scrawny wrist.)

My daily beater isn't that old and I don't anticipate having to replace it soon (if ever), but if I were in the market for another Rolex I think I'd be looking at pre-owned, 'pre-rollesor' models.

Edit: My post reads as though I'm somewhat of a senior, but in fact I'm only 41!! Are there others in my age range who feel the same way?

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John: My ideal DJ would be the watch you have posted on the right with a smooth bezel. Thanks so much for posting!!! :) :) :) :)

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@CKSMD: I am not to sure if I am a fan of the Rolex inscribed inside either. I think I would have to see it some more to make a decision. My LV does not have the inscription, so that may be why.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
@CKSMD: I am not to sure if I am a fan of the Rolex inscribed inside either. I think I would have to see it some more to make a decision. My LV does not have the inscription, so that may be why.
I actually have come to like it on most watches...it's MUCH more subtle in person than macro photos would lead you to believe.

I particularly like it on the Daytona - I'd sell my current one if I could get a white dial version with the inscription and of course the parachrom blue balance spring. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bit concerned

Although many may not equate Rolex with 'simplicity,' over the years there have always been a few models that appealed to those of us with more conservative tastes--eg, the SS 6694, AK, OP, and OP Date. Even some of the SS DateJusts fit the bill, particularly those with Oyster bands, smooth bezels, and classic dials. (I actually wear a SS DJ as my daily beater.)

To my eye, even the most basic newer-generation styles are seem a bit too overstated. I know part of this, like the 'ROLEXROLEXROLEX' inscription on the rehaut, is meant to thwart the counterfeiters...but this doesn't ring true with all the changes. Some of the dials look, well, awful to me now; and I can't imagine coming home with anything sporting the new YM-II bezel! (But to be fair, I wouldn't be likely to wear the older YM, either--too big for my scrawny wrist.)

My daily beater isn't that old and I don't anticipate having to replace it soon (if ever), but if I were in the market for another Rolex I think I'd be looking at pre-owned, 'pre-rollesor' models.

Edit: My post reads as though I'm somewhat of a senior, but in fact I'm only 41!! Are there others in my age range who feel the same way?

I know this has been covered over and over but I'm concerned at the way Rolex have succumbed to what I think history will chalk up as a fashion trend of large oversized watches. If they had completely redesigned I might have got it. The larger cases without a complete bracelet redesign size wise was a short cut I think and has unbalanced an iconic design aesthetic ...just my opinion and look...it's all in the eye of the beholder and I'm really glad some love em. I managed to buy recently a new old stoch explorer 2 white dial and think its perfect. I picked up a president yg mop diamond dial lib and love it and a yg Daytona black serti dial and finally a Gt TT with Jubilee so I guess I'm biased. I owned a rare titanium Panerai GMT from new and really didn't like it so sod it ( actually got scammed and lost it by never getting aid but that's a whole new story). So this year I've arrived at my life long desired collection and I'm done. I'm going to bypass the new collections and we will see over time how well they stand up to the test of time like the previous designs have to achieve icon status...ummm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts