WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Baume and Mercier 8786 from the gray market. The watch works fine and keeps time perfectly. Watch was purchased about 2 months ago. No issues with the watch mechanically. I have an aesthetics question about the watch. After a while of looking at the various parts of the watch more carefully, I started to notice something I hadn't seen before. It seems that it's not uncommon for some watches to have a plastic white ring tracing the outer edge of the inside of the watch's face. Not sure what purpose it serves? I assume possibly water resistance or a ledge for the front crystal to rest on.

Nevertheless, I noticed in this watch that there is some black residue between that white plastic ring and the crystal. It can be seen with the naked eye if you were trying to find it. But I used a magnifying glass to get a better look and it appears to be some lubricant or grease. I'm not really sure what it is? That's why I am posting here with photos in the hopes that some of you enthusiastes who have many watches and know a lot about watches can possibly help with this. Because truthfully, now that I know it's there, human nature, I can't stop looking at it. Plus despite the watch being from gray market, it still costs a lot.

The first photo is Watch Front
Second photo is watch back

The remaining photos were taken using iphone 4s camera and a small magnifying glass. I hope that shows the issue clear enough.

Yes, I tried washing it and there was no change.

Questions:

1. What do you think is wrong?
2. Can I leave it alone without it likely getting worse?
3. Is it necessary to fix it because it will effect watch performance?

Pretty lengthy post for a trivial issue, but it's important to me. So thank you for taking the time to read the post and reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
What you have is polishing compound on the crystal gasket . You can remove it with a tooth pick and a little windex . Don't be afraid to rub hard you can't hurt it with the wood .

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but, its used. It's Probably just dirty.

EDIT: omega564 got to it first lol. What he said. Once you clean it up it shouldn't come back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

I tried what you guys suggested but just used water instead of windex. It worked like a charm. The toothpick was able to reach what the cloth couldn't. After seeing what you thought was the problem, I felt pretty stupid. Of course they likely polished the watch before shipping it. I didn't realize there was a groove between the crystal and the case. I previously thought the crystal went right up to the case and that there was no way for me to fix the problem on my own.

Thank you for taking the time to help! I will enjoy the watch even more now!

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Freshman1771 said:
I tried what you guys suggested but just used water instead of windex. It worked like a charm. The toothpick was able to reach what the cloth couldn't. After seeing what you thought was the problem, I felt pretty stupid. Of course they likely polished the watch before shipping it. I didn't realize there was a groove between the crystal and the case. I previously thought the crystal went right up to the case and that there was no way for me to fix the problem on my own.

Thank you for taking the time to help! I will enjoy the watch even more now!
Well you can't leave!! Stay here and enjoy the forum! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts