WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have to go with the Hamilton Khaki series. I have the Khaki Field Officers watch with the green dial and strap. The watch is accurate and reliable, and the satin finish case is almost impossible to scratch. Watches in this series can be had from a price point starting around $300. That's a bargain for a Swiss mechanical watch. The watch I have, has the ETA 2804-2 movement, which is hand wound with a date window at the 3 o'clock position.

Reactions: diver

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Wow! Where'd you find that bargain? According to the Hamilton website, the Khaki Field Officer is closer to $900 ($945 with VAT included).

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Wow! Where'd you find that bargain? According to the Hamilton website, the Khaki Field Officer is closer to $900 ($945 with VAT included).
I think he means that you can pick up a basic watch from the Khaki series for about $300 rather than that specific watch.

Value is a relative equation. Watches in the Khaki series don't tend to suit my style. It wouldn't be a very good value if I didn't wear the watch regularly. That is why I have a Jazzmaster Viewmatic and American Classics Intramatic and Trent. For me, style and usability trump monetary savings. I had an AD offer me a sweet new Pan Europ at an unbeatable price but I couldn't pull the trigger because of the size and heft of that model. Those are positive aspects for most people (I think) but I would never be comfortable wearing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,827 Posts
i would have to go with the hamilton khaki series. I have the khaki field officers watch with the green dial and strap. The watch is accurate and reliable, and the satin finish case is almost impossible to scratch. Watches in this series can be had from a price point starting around $300. That's a bargain for a swiss mechanical watch. The watch i have, has the eta 2804-2 movement, which is hand wound with a date window at the 3 o'clock position.
photos!

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
I just found them...never mind! I think I'll stick with Authorized Dealers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found them...never mind! I think I'll stick with Authorized Dealers.
I've seen the Khaki model I referred to available for around $400 from a Hamilton AD. That was a couple years ago however. To my knowledge, this model is no longer available. I bought the one I have via Amazon in 2014 for under $300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My choice, which I do not own, would be the Intramatic. These things are all over the Web for less than $700.00. I have never seen another watch that is as nicely finished, with such an original design, and powered by the ETA 2892 for so little money.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
My choice, which I do not own, would be the Intramatic. These things are all over the Web for less than $700.00. I have never seen another watch that is as nicely finished, with such an original design, and powered by the ETA 2892 for so little money.
The Intramatic has become the one watch I own which I am least likely to recommend. It is a more formal design but if you wear it to a formal event at night when lighting will be dimmed, it is nearly impossible to see the time due to the highly reflective crystal and the thin silver hands (at least on the black dial version). I have worn it to places where I simply had to give up keeping track of time with it entirely. At night, it's a pretty but useless piece of jewelry.

For dressier daytime activities or indoor events where the lights are not likely to be dimmed, it's a great looking watch and has one of the most comfortable bracelets I've experienced.

One other thing bugs me about the Intramatic. They did not include a second hand as if it were to designed to be a true dress watch. Then they kept the date function and put a white date wheel on the otherwise clean and simple black dial. Not only does the date function not belong, it's as if they hung a lantern on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts