WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help they could give me. I have the opportunity to buy an original Hamilton "Otis" reverso watch. The watch is engraved with a monogram on the front, and is missing the second hand. It is not running, but could be an easy fix, haven't looked at it yet. I was just wondering what you guys think is a good price to pay for a piece like this one. I'm a flipper, and I do know this is a desirable model, but is to small for my ape wrists!

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
It's so hard to come up with numbers when you don't know the whole story. Getting it running again shouldn't be a problem. Finding a new second hand shouldn't be a problem (you can have it installed when the watch is repaired). It's the unknowns that are a problem. Is there paint missing from the extreme edge of the dial? Is the dial on tight? Is it easy or hard to swing the case "open and closed"? Is the case snug or rattle around in the holder? How far are you willing to go (price-wise) to get it.

If it were me, I'd almost do ANYTHING to get my hands on one. They are desireable for watch collectors and Holy Grails for Hamilton collectors. You just don't see one for sale all that often! One in working condition recently sold on eBay for $1,600

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's so hard to come up with numbers when you don't know the whole story. Getting it running again shouldn't be a problem. Finding a new second hand shouldn't be a problem (you can have it installed when the watch is repaired). It's the unknowns that are a problem. Is there paint missing from the extreme edge of the dial? Is the dial on tight? Is it easy or hard to swing the case "open and closed"? Is the case snug or rattle around in the holder? How far are you willing to go (price-wise) to get it.

If it were me, I'd almost do ANYTHING to get my hands on one. They are desireable for watch collectors and Holy Grails for Hamilton collectors. You just don't see one for sale all that often! One in working condition recently sold on eBay for $1,600
I can buy the watch for $800. I think I have a second hand for it that will fit from a parts Hamilton I have laying around. The owner also says it runs for a short period of time, then stops. So I'm guessing the balance is good, but needs to be serviced, ASAP.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I can buy the watch for $800. I think I have a second hand for it that will fit from a parts Hamilton I have laying around. The owner also says it runs for a short period of time, then stops. So I'm guessing the balance is good, but needs to be serviced, ASAP.
For $800 - GRAB it.
Its a great piece of horology

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Unfortunately, I got an email back from the seller, telling me it was sold. My guess is it will be on ebay soon...Really wished I would of gotten this one.
There will always be another....

The face on that one was wrong also; numerals were incorrect. Would have been big bucks to replace. You did well to miss out on it. Karma!

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
A Hamilton 'Otis' never sells fr $800. It is very rare and part of Horology.
$1200 is a great price to own one of these pieces of history
Sorry - but $800 is exactly what I paid for a working Otis in November '11 from a member of this forum. I acknowledge that it was a bargain price - which is exactly why I jumped when it was available. The seller was knowledgeable; knew what he had and had seen one sell for $2K at ebay. He acquired it in a bag of 35 watches at an auction and intended to list it as a Buy It Now for $700 to move it fast. I offered $800 befiore he got to ebay - he accepted.

At the time, the average eBay selling price was $1,368 in a range of $1,038-$2,600 for the genuine article (there are fakes out there). If mine had made it to ebay it would have dragged this average down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry - but $800 is exactly what I paid for a working Otis in November '11 from a member of this forum. I acknowledge that it was a bargain price - which is exactly why I jumped when it was available. The seller was knowledgeable; knew what he had and had seen one sell for $2K at ebay. He acquired it in a bag of 35 watches at an auction and intended to list it as a Buy It Now for $700 to move it fast. I offered $800 befiore he got to ebay - he accepted.

At the time, the average eBay selling price was $1,368 in a range of $1,038-$2,600 for the genuine article (there are fakes out there). If mine had made it to ebay it would have dragged this average down.
I have seen a few sell even cheaper. Frankly, I would not pay $800 for an Otis with a bad dial...there will be another.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There's one out there on the swamp right now... it's a bit higher price, but it's got some bonuses. The back of the reverso and the back of the case are both un-engraved, and everything else (dial included) looks original. I don't have the extra cash right now, or I'd be a contender for it. Oh well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a feeling the person who bought it was going to throw it on there to make a quick penny. The dial does look completely wrong, and to be a redial, no? I've never seen a dial like that that says 17 jewels.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Someone is going to buy it for the case alone - and maybe the movement. But the dial is going to be a big problem. It looks as if the gold numerals are painted on - whereas to be correct they need to be small gold numerals that are riveted to the dial. So, unless the buyer has a spare correct Otis dial and numerals this watch will only be useful as a parts/donor watch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put a bid on it, just for the case. As bad as this may sound, for the price I bid, I was just going to make it a franken watch, seeing it needed a new dial, and finding a correct one is probably near impossible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.