WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit that my passion for cars and music exceeds my love of watches. I know it's hard to hear but there it is.

For the first time, I've started to think about the cars I have as an actual collection, i.e. a well thought out group of automobiles rather than cars as A to B appliances.

We recently purchased a new 2016 Mazda MX-5 for my wife. This car is a blast to drive. The handling is almost unbelievable. The soft top is a small marvel in itself, folding or unfolding in two or three seconds. It's Play-School simple but incredibly quick and effective.

We get winter up here and my wife has a substantial commute every day (at least in terms of this area). I can't imagine a better winter driver than her 2016 Wrangler Rubicon.

The 2013 Boss 302 is the longest I've owned a car in a long time and I don't have any plans to get rid of it. This car was built by Ford as a track car. It's also what I'm comparing the MX-5 handling to. I think the best part of this car is the banshee wail of the engine as the big V8 screams up to it's 7500 rpm redline.

The biggest problem I can foresee is that I don't have anything to drive myself when the winter hits this year.

Anyway, let's see what the rest of you drive.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We get snow in South Dakota. Never a problem with my 2004 RAV4.
I am going to need something like that very soon. It's going to have to be something older, high mileage and inexpensive. We traded in my F-150 to get my wife the Mazda but that leaves me without a winter ride. I work shift work and I often find myself going to work at night during a storm before the snow plows are out.

P.S. I always assumed that your screen name implied you lived in San Francisco. I request a screen name change to SDwatchGuy.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
SF stands for Sioux Falls. The largest city in the state with some where around 180-thousand residents. My location is listed as South Dakota.
I am going to need something like that very soon. It's going to have to be something older, high mileage and inexpensive. We traded in my F-150 to get my wife the Mazda but that leaves me without a winter ride. I work shift work and I often find myself going to work at night during a storm before the snow plows are out.

P.S. I always assumed that your screen name implied you lived in San Francisco. I request a screen name change to SDwatchGuy.:lol:

·
Registered
370 Posts
2014 Mustang

Though only a V-6, still a great car to drive. Already has 120,000 miles on it, use it every day in my job as a warranty adjuster for cars. In my younger days had a '65 Mustang Convertible, 79 Mustang TRX Cobra, my favorite, a '67 GTO(engine balanced and blueprinted, done up transmission, etc), '66 Caprice with a hot rodded 283(my 2nd favorite, 17 mpg, fit 5 people inside, all luggage fit in the trunk).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Though only a V-6, still a great car to drive. Already has 120,000 miles on it, use it every day in my job as a warranty adjuster for cars. In my younger days had a '65 Mustang Convertible, 79 Mustang TRX Cobra, my favorite, a '67 GTO(engine balanced and blueprinted, done up transmission, etc), '66 Caprice with a hot rodded 283(my 2nd favorite, 17 mpg, fit 5 people inside, all luggage fit in the trunk).
I don't think people have to make excuses for choosing the V6 anymore. The 305 hp is the same as the '99 SVT Cobra. It's still a legit performance car even though the V8 cars have gotten somewhat insane in the last few years.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Let me just say that it "says" 305 horsepower, but finding it is a totally different case. The ZF 6 speed automatic transmission is lacking off a stop until you get into 3rd gear, it will cruise at 80 all day and get you about 26 mpg at the same time, but I personally liked the 4.0 SOHC motor better in my '06. Plus it lasted 305,000 miles before the timing chain guides broke, the 3.7 does not give me confidence. Next car is a '65 Chevy.

·
Super Moderator
15,438 Posts
2001 Chevrolet Malibu

Picked it up the day after the World Trade Center fell! (I happened to find the exact model and color on a Google search.)

I want to re-shoot my Hamiltons for the new Hamilton forum, so while I'm outdoors, I'll take a driveway pic of my actual car.

UPDATE: Shortly after I made that statement, my son was considerate enough to get my vehicle rear-ended while borrowing it. Sorry...no candid pix of the car are possible any more.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me just say that it "says" 305 horsepower, but finding it is a totally different case. The ZF 6 speed automatic transmission is lacking off a stop until you get into 3rd gear, it will cruise at 80 all day and get you about 26 mpg at the same time, but I personally liked the 4.0 SOHC motor better in my '06. Plus it lasted 305,000 miles before the timing chain guides broke, the 3.7 does not give me confidence. Next car is a '65 Chevy.
I had an '06 Mustang convertible with the 4.0L. It did seem like a solid engine. It was leaps and bounds ahead of both versions of the 3.8L that I had in previous Mustangs.

I had the 3.7L in my F-150. It felt like a solid engine in that application. I had the 3.73 gears so I think that helped with acceleration from a stop. In a Mustang, I wouldn't hesitate to put 3.73 or even 4.10 gears in there to wake it up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dave, I rented an Ecoboost 3.7 f-150, I was impressed with the power and fuel mileage. Can't afford tall gears in my car, I use it for work and need fuel mileage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts