WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more of a Hamilton guy but I happened across this Bulova Automatic for $40 and couldn't resist. Has the original Bulova bracelet too. Has a 21K beat rate so I'm guessing it's 30 years old or less. I took a movement shot too. Beyond that - what do you guys think?

Any advice on how to best set the day / date? I was able to get them sync'd on a matching day and date but then cycled through 24 hours over and over to get to today's day date combination (12/24). Surely there's an easier way?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dan, Bulovas have a date code - Letter + number - stamped on the movement and the case. Letter gives decade, number gives year within decade. They started with L= 50, so for example if I were a Bulova watch, I'd be stamped 'L7' for 1957. :biggrin:

The movement shot seems to have something like that on the rotor, but it's not focused well enough for me to tell. The code on the movement and case are generally the same, at most a year off.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Very nice watch, I have a friend who has a number of those "whale" watches and I'm gonna have one some day when I get done buying Accutrons.
No idea how to synchronize the day and date. I have gotta admit that, with some of my watches., I have quit trying to keep them on the correct day of the week, I just keep them on the correct date.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has N0 written on the back and on the rotor - so that would be 1970, right?

Thanks for the tip!

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
HandyDan, that is a sharp '57 Bulova in excellent condition. Quite a steal at $40.00. Just wondering, does it have a two-stop positioning on the stem pull-out? If it does (which I'm not sure in a watch of that vintage) then you probably wouldn't be asking. Of course, then you would just have to make sure that you avoid trying to set the day/date during say 11:00pm - 2:00 or 3:00am, and rotate clockwise to set one function and counter-clockwise for the other. But, like I said, you probably wouldn't be asking if it were that simple. If that is the case, I would suggest maybe finding some local jeweler who could probably show you how to do it in a matter of moments. I'm sure there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup - that's pretty much what I did. I don't think the stem has two stops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts