WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Rebel XT that I may not outgrow for a few years yet. Still putting together lens befor going for the next body. I also like my little Kodak EasyShare C875. Takes very nice pictures for point and shoot and at 8.0 megapixals with 5x optical zoom it does take the place of the bigger Rebel when I can get it away from the wife which isn't often. I find I need one more point and shoot, the smaller the better, suggestions, recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just bought a Canon A590IS. I am hoping to get into a little more photography this year. I had a Canon A520 from a few years ago but my 2 year old son broke it a couple of weeks ago. This one looked like a good replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nikon D50, which seems like a good 'holding' digital SLR until the format finally settles down. What I'm holding out for is something like a D300 with full-frame sensor (as on a D3) and a similar price tag. That way, I won't have to keep multiplying the focal length of all my old Nikkors by 1.5. Someday, perhaps ...

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
:biggrin:

ahhh, more Nikon users:thumbup1: I think there are more of us than anybody realizes..:thumbup1:

I have the d40 6.1mp and will work my way up to something like the d300 one day....

what sort of lenses do you two have to go with your Nikons?

oh and Mr Flex, you need to post some pictures please:thumbup::thumbup:

Mr Prospector, did you enter the IWC photo contest that is currently underway?

thanks folks, have a great weekend:thumbup::thumbup:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a:
Nikon 50mm f1.8 (one of the sharpest - and cheapest! - lenses in the world),
Nikon 24-120mm (the perfect general purpose zoom for 35mm),
Nikon 70-210mm (now even better with digital :wink:),
Nikon 105mm f2.5 (perfect portrait lens for 35mm),
and not to forget the Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens that came with my D50.

Despite the reviews, the last is a great little lens provided you don't use it at maximum aperture or either end of the zoom range :001_tongue:

Yes, I did enter the IWC photo competition. And all my pics were taken on the 18-55. It focuses pretty close!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am a Nikon Loyalist and use their brand only.

Great cameras and lenses.

I use a point and shoot and a digi SLR.

Nice thing abt Nikon (and Canon) is that the lenses are interchangable on any nikon camera.

The D100 is 4 + years old but so good and reliable I cant see trashing it for a D3 or D300. Its like my old Televisions, they go on forever and I will wait before buying a new LED, My 15 year old Magavox is perfect...

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
:)

Mr Newrolexman,

what sort of lenses have you put together for using with your Nikon sir?

diver88

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am (still) using a Konica-Minolta Dynax 5D DSLR. Guess we are a dying breed :sad:

Started with a Minolta 600si film body with kit lens, upgraded to a 24-105mm Minolta lens, changed to the DSLR (with the kit 18-70mm) a few years back. Also own a 50mm f1.7.

It is one of the best bang for buck camera! In-body OIS! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
79 Posts

ahhh, more Nikon users:thumbup1: I think there are more of us than anybody realizes..:thumbup1:

I have the d40 6.1mp and will work my way up to something like the d300 one day....

what sort of lenses do you two have to go with your Nikons?

oh and Mr Flex, you need to post some pictures please:thumbup::thumbup:

Mr Prospector, did you enter the IWC photo contest that is currently underway?

thanks folks, have a great weekend:thumbup::thumbup:

Currently have -

Nikon 17-35
Nikon 28-70
Nikon 28-105
Nikon 70-200
Nikon 200 macro
Nikon 10.5

I'm pretty much landscape shooting... not much into studio, maybe, that will change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used to shoot with Nikon for 15 years, but because of the lack ofprofessional service and the arrogance of the importer at that time in the Netherlands I made the switch to Canon some 7 years ago. Night to day change.......
1D MK II and 1D MKIII body
and a few L lenses
Kodak full frame SLR/C 14 megapixel, not used much

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Used to shoot with Nikon for 15 years, but because of the lack ofprofessional service and the arrogance of the importer at that time in the Netherlands I made the switch to Canon some 7 years ago. Night to day change.......
1D MK II and 1D MKIII body
and a few L lenses
Kodak full frame SLR/C 14 megapixel, not used much
Wow...that's some serious hardware. :thumbup:

What kind of shooting do you do? We'd all love to see some samples! :drool:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Currently have -

Nikon 17-35
Nikon 28-70
Nikon 28-105
Nikon 70-200
Nikon 200 macro
Nikon 10.5

I'm pretty much landscape shooting... not much into studio, maybe, that will change.
Wow Mr Keg Flex

That's looks like a very desirable collection of lenses

I think I only had three lenses in my picture-making heyday.

Be well pal

ZIN

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pentax K100D with 18-5 kit lens over here.

Soon to be replaced with a Nikon D300 with 18-200 VR lens. Got some Hoya Pro D1 filters to. Cost me a bundle, but with Nikon's sound development roadmap, I should be good for the next 2 years or so.

Was a tough choice between the Nikon and the Canon 40D. I have a very active lifestyle, so a lot of this came down to having just one good "carry around" lens, rather than a bag full of primes. Chose to move away from Pentax because of the relatively small user community base, and delayed support from Adobe/Apple

I did try out the new Pentax super zoom, 18-250. Here are some trial pictures. I'm returning the lens (love Amazon for that!), and the Nikon system should be here this Friday. I'm yet to my old pictures to flickr, but going forward, I'll be posting all my Nikon pics on flickr.

http://flickr.com/photos/definingavi

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hey Avi

A Pentax MX was the first SLR camera I ever bought back in the days of 35mm film having borrowed my dad's Spotmatic for years. I recall reading somewhere that Pentax were the originators of the first Japanese 35mm SLR and pioneered or almost pioneered TTL metering. Highly popular through the late 60s and possibly up to early or mid 70s, they steadily lost ground to Nikon and Canon. I think that while the other companies were becoming increasingly progressive, Pentax stayed more or less the same, losing a lot of ground in the commercial /professional field too. They continued to make good products but I guess if you start to lose market share in a big way, you lose the opportunity of early enjoyment of support from third parties etc and there comes a time when you risk disappearing altogether. Back in the 70s and 80s I never thought Hoya would ever be in a position to buy Pentax but indeed the companies have merged.

Have a nice day pal and thanks for the pictures

ZIN

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
:):)

Mr AVI, the pictures are very nice, I love old houses, the last few are gems:thumbup1:

WoW, going for the 300 Nikon, thats some Camera. recently I played around with one in the camera store, someday after I learn how to use my d40 and wear it out I'll jump to the 300 Or whatever is currently out. I have all Nikkor lenses, so I'm set there.
congrats on the incoming Nikon, and we'd love to see and hear your impressions of your new camera once you have it:thumbup:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I get depressed when I think of my three nice Minolta SLRs and one Rolleiflex and assorted lenses that I used for years but never use anymore because of the digital revolution. I used to be a photojournalist and studied photography in school; loved to work in the darkroom, loved photography.
Now the wife and I use a Canon Elph (I don't even know the model off the top of my head) for everything. It takes nice photos, but I'd love to have a digital SLR and lenses to go with it. I'd probably go with Nikon or Canon, I don't know... I heard Minolta doesn't exist anymore, was bought by Sony. My brother in law has a Sony SLR and likes it, but I've never used it. Please feel free to give me advice on what any of you think is a good digital outfit. What the heck do I do with my old stuff??? I don't think anybody wants old film cameras anymore unless they're some kind of pristine collectible??

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Yes Rob

I know how you feel. Minolta did make good stuff in my photographic days. I'll let the experts fill you in on what to do with your equipment and indeed let them too advice you on what to get since I'm only a P&S man. I'd love to be more involved but simply don't have the time anymore. A G9 is about as complex as it gets for me I think. Nikons or Canons - you'll win either way. Try looking up dpreview, myproductadvisor or cameralabs - all are dot com.

Good hunting and be well friend

ZIN

61 - 80 of 99 Posts